Author Topic: How to react to lying coworker (long) Small Update post 21  (Read 8739 times)

heathert

Re: How to react to lying coworker (long)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
Thank you all, I appreciate the advice.  I will see if this even becomes an issue but if so, I will prepared.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »
[smip]
The following is a "true story" from lying co-worker: 

Lying Co worker:  Once I fell off a boat and got dragged under the ocean! 
Me:  *doing nothing but continuing to be very interested in my lunch*
LC: Yes, luckily a puffer fish went buy and I grabbed it and was able to inhale the air and made it to the surface to be rescued!
Me:  um-hm (continue to eat)
LC:  Blah blah blah...
Me:  Oh, excuse me, I have to answer this text / call / read this before I return to work / go talk to Sally / etc...

I love this! ;D  I had a lying coworker who routinely came up with incredibly bizarre stories.  It didn't take long for people to realize he was a compulsive liar, and after that, no one believed anything he said. What ticks me off about the lying is that the liar assumes I'm stupid enough to believe him. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

sweetonsno

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
This coworker makes me sad. She sounds incredibly insecure. Someone should really tell her just how destructive this habit is. Is there a way of bringing it up with her mentor without getting her in trouble?

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »
I work with someone like that too. Her stories may start out truthful, but then they grow and grow.

The "puffer fish" story, I could actually hear her telling it. She has to make her self be the best, no matter what.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
"Did you ever watch Kristen Wiig's character Penelope on Saturday Night Live? You remind me alot of her.  Excuse me, I have to go to the restroom."

DollyPond

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
[smip]
The following is a "true story" from lying co-worker: 

Lying Co worker:  Once I fell off a boat and got dragged under the ocean! 
Me:  *doing nothing but continuing to be very interested in my lunch*
LC: Yes, luckily a puffer fish went buy and I grabbed it and was able to inhale the air and made it to the surface to be rescued!
Me:  um-hm (continue to eat)
LC:  Blah blah blah...
Me:  Oh, excuse me, I have to answer this text / call / read this before I return to work / go talk to Sally / etc...

I love this! ;D  I had a lying coworker who routinely came up with incredibly bizarre stories.  It didn't take long for people to realize he was a compulsive liar, and after that, no one believed anything he said. What ticks me off about the lying is that the liar assumes I'm stupid enough to believe him.

We once had a lying co-worker who came in one morning and related an elaborate story about her and her boyfriend complete with dialogue, etc.  After she left another co-worker said "That was word-for-word exactly what happened on The Bachelorette last night."  Apparently lying co-worker was believing that her life was being protrayed on a TV show that no one else watched.

heathert

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Small Update:

Lying coworker either quit or got fired. She was already on thin ice so its kind of hard to say what happened. I just know someone told me our boss was looking mad when she cleaned out her desk yesterday.

purple

Re: How to react to lying coworker (long) Small Update post 21
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
What goes around comes around, eh?  8)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 04:08:03 AM »
Small Update:

Lying coworker either quit or got fired. She was already on thin ice so its kind of hard to say what happened. I just know someone told me our boss was looking mad when she cleaned out her desk yesterday.
that's kind of what i predicted.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Runningstar

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 06:43:20 AM »
Small Update:

I worked with a person like this, similar in that we both started around the same time.  After she was fired, she called me at work to tell me how I was next and that apparently at her exit interview all they talked with her about was me.  It was not true, and up until then I felt bad for her as it is hard to lose a job.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Small Update:

I worked with a person like this, similar in that we both started around the same time.  After she was fired, she called me at work to tell me how I was next and that apparently at her exit interview all they talked with her about was me.  It was not true, and up until then I felt bad for her as it is hard to lose a job.

Now, to be entirely fair, the second half of her statement might have been true.  But it was probably because she was the one who brought up the subject, probably blaming you for everything under the sun that ever went wrong involving her, in some weird attempt to save her own skin.

But, because she was being fired, at least in part, one assumes, for telling lots of stupid lies, the "you were next" part was just another lie also, because the person doing the exit interview was probably thinking "quit making excuses and just go away-you're already fired and even now you can't stop lying", so no actual effect on you.  :)

missC

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
That is very interesting, I moved to a new city about 2 years ago and began working in an office setting. For the first few months i did not have regular contact with front office staff, as I was in the back office, but moved to the front and got to know the rest of the staff, one of them being an egregious liar. Her worst offense was criticizing everyone's meal choices at lunch and bragging about how she eats healthy, exercises, finds red meat and white potatoes disgusting, etc...but then sneakily raiding every candy jar in the office. (!) All of our positions were entry level paying about $15/hr and she frequently bragged to several co-workers and myself (but did not tell certain people including our boss these things) that she had graduated from a prestigious medical school. Nothing but lies upon lies upon lies from this woman. I avoided her as much as possible until she finally quit. Apart from the lies she was also incredibly rude and condescending.

O.P...when you say is the lying strange, yes, it is! I lived in another city for 23 years before moving to my current location and never encountered anything like this.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
I don't think the city you lived in has much to do with whether you encountered this kind of a liar. They exist everywhere. Fortunately, their numbers are relatively small. (Though, when you do encounter them, they're very noticeable.)