A couple problems with being barefoot in public:
- If a drinking glass gets dropped near him, you don't want a piece to hit his toes. And sometimes people miss a small piece of glass when sweeping up a mess
- Pins on the floors of dressing room carpets
- You're walking where people or pets may have previously thrown up or lost control of their bladders.
- The first time you drop a fork or knife and it bounces off your shoe, you realize "Thank goodness I wasn't barefoot!"
- If you've ever had a kid run a shopping cart into your heels, you know it hurts pretty bad even with shoes on. Without shoes = way worse
- Where I live, you don't want to go barefoot in public because we have fire ants everywhere. Fire ant bites are incredibly painful.
- If there's an emergency, you'll need proper shoes. Let's say you have a car accident and must get out of the car. You don't want him running around on the side of the road with unprotected feet.
- If it rains and he goes into a restaurant barefoot, he could slip and fall. I did in my dorm room once. I landed on my back. I was lucky I also had a stuffed backpack to cushion my fall and that my leg didn't break