Author Topic: Why are Americans so concerned about shoes?  (Read 6649 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Why are Americans so concerned about shoes?
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »
   I don't think the title was offensive, to my knowledge we're the only place that has "no shoes , no shirt , no service" signs.  I don't mean we're the only place that has rules about footwear in restaurants/stores or has signs , it just seems we're the only place that has
that particular sign appear with some frequency.

Canada does too.  They are most frequently posted in convenience stores, Restaurants and other food establishments.

I've never been to America, but the implication I'm getting from this thread is that these signs are outside pretty much every establishment e.g. restaurant, shop etc?    Because we definitely have the signs here too (Australia and New Zealand) so I thought it was weird to refer to it as an American thing.    But having never been there I'm now getting the impression it's a *big* thing there e.g. signs outside every premises.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

GreenBird

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:34 AM »
Quote from: Ceallach
I've never been to America, but the implication I'm getting from this thread is that these signs are outside pretty much every establishment e.g. restaurant, shop etc?    Because we definitely have the signs here too (Australia and New Zealand) so I thought it was weird to refer to it as an American thing.    But having never been there I'm now getting the impression it's a *big* thing there e.g. signs outside every premises.   

Not in my experience.  I can't actually remember the last time I saw a sign like that here.  But I'm in the Midwest - maybe the signs are more common along the coasts in beach/resort towns, where people might be coming off the beach and trying to go into shops wearing just a bathing suit. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:24 AM »

Not in my experience.  I can't actually remember the last time I saw a sign like that here.  But I'm in the Midwest - maybe the signs are more common along the coasts in beach/resort towns, where people might be coming off the beach and trying to go into shops wearing just a bathing suit.

In that case it really does just sound the same as here - signs are where they are most needed!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

jmarvellous

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
They might be somewhat standard outside big chain stores, but they are small window stickers (no bigger than maybe 8 inches) stuck to a corner of a plate glass along with stickers advertising things like membership in local business groups, the standard notice that you must be 18 to buy cigarettes,  21 to buy alcohol,  can't smoke inside,  there's a big sale on hamburgers, etc.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
OP, I ask this sincerely.  Were there hippies in your home country?  I wonder if that was just an American thing?  I was born in '70, so I was a child and my parents kept me away from them so I know next to nothing on the subject. 

I don't think I've seen one of those signs around for quite a long time.  Maybe they are there, and I just don't SEE them.  I live in Texas where it is definitely warm enough. 

auntmeegs

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »

I think you might be right about this.  I live in a beach/resort town and there are a lot of those signs in the Summer time. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
On the other hand, there is a convenience store near a river and popular park. My family happened to stop there to get some drinks and I was very surprised to be the only person in the place with shoes and a shirt on other than the employees.

That is minimum dress for being in public in my experience. Some sort of clothing to cover your rear (no matter how short), a shirt of some kind and shoes, even flip flops.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
My understanding is that shoes are required primarily for safety reasons.  An establishment's insurance probably requires them, in order to cover any injuries from broken glass and the like.

A number of years ago, in my province, there was a case where a woman went shirtless around town.  She was arrested and fought the charge.  It was ruled unconstitutional that she was not allowed to go shirtless, when men were, with no charges.  So anyone who wishes to may go topless.  The 'No shoes, no shirts, no service' signs predated this incident but it is probably enforced so that everyone is wearing a shirt inside.  There was a funny editorial cartoon at the time with an older couple, both topless.  The husband looked at his wife and said, 'You're going out like that?!?!?'  And when you looked at the two of them, their chests looked pretty much the same.  He had the man boobs going on and hers were a little saggy from age.  It was hysterical.

Last summer, there was a thing on the news about a woman who hated wearing shoes in the summer.  She went barefoot everywhere and was often refused service.  So she invented these foot coverings that made it look like she had sandals on but still left the sole of her foot bare.  Personally, I thought she was being ridiculous.  And if I saw her wearing those things, I'd refuse her service because of the insurance issues.

Children in strollers or babes in arms don't require shoes.  But if they're walking on the floor?  They need shoes on in most establishments.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »
OP, I ask this sincerely.  Were there hippies in your home country?  I wonder if that was just an American thing?  I was born in '70, so I was a child and my parents kept me away from them so I know next to nothing on the subject. 

I don't think I've seen one of those signs around for quite a long time.  Maybe they are there, and I just don't SEE them.  I live in Texas where it is definitely warm enough.

I visited the UK quite a few times in the early 1970s.  There were definitely native Hippies there at the time so it wasn't just a US phenomenon. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Was I the only one that came to this thread thinking, "Shoes?  I love shoes!  Doesn't everyone love shoes?". 
Irony is that I thought that while barefoot. 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »

Last summer, there was a thing on the news about a woman who hated wearing shoes in the summer.  She went barefoot everywhere and was often refused service.  So she invented these foot coverings that made it look like she had sandals on but still left the sole of her foot bare.  Personally, I thought she was being ridiculous.  And if I saw her wearing those things, I'd refuse her service because of the insurance issues.

I always wonder how many fungal infections they pick up.  Or parasites.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
When a friend of mine was diagnosed as diabetic she had a childish fit over no longer being allowed to go barefoot in grass or on the beach.  I told her she would get used to that.

Barefoot on concrete?  Are you serious?

In terms of general safety, I wouldn't want to see anyone get a splinter on boardwalk wood or broken glass either.

perpetua

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 08:58:06 AM »
When a friend of mine was diagnosed as diabetic she had a childish fit over no longer being allowed to go barefoot in grass or on the beach.  I told her she would get used to that.

Barefoot on concrete?  Are you serious?

In terms of general safety, I wouldn't want to see anyone get a splinter on boardwalk wood or broken glass either.

That's rather uncharitable, Venus. It's not uncommon for people diagnosed with conditions to be upset about the things they can no longer do. Perhaps that was one of life's small pleasures for her, and referring to her being upset at not being able to do it any more as a 'childish fit' seems rather mean-spirited.

I grew up by the beach, so there were often people walking around without shirts on and they'd often be wearing flip flops or even be barefoot. I'm not sure that I ever saw a sign anywhere but it's going back so many years now I can't remember.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
I guess I am rather fed up with this person's general refusal to grow up and take responsibility for anything.  We're only FB friends now.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
I guess I am rather fed up with this person's general refusal to grow up and take responsibility for anything.  We're only FB friends now.

I guess I agree with perpetua, in that I don't see the connection between being upset that she can't go barefoot anymore and "taking responsibility." Not taking responsibility would be if she kept doing it even though it's dangerous to her now. It's natural, I think, to mourn the loss of a fun activity when you can't do it anymore, and sometimes you confide that disappointment in a friend.