Author Topic: S/O Calling and Emailing on the same subject  (Read 2722 times)

betty

Re: S/O Calling and Emailing on the same subject
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 11:10:13 PM »
If I'm emailing something that needs immediate attention, I'll do two things: Put timing info in the subject (eg "Project 27 Due Today 1pm") and start the email by saying,"Please reply to let me know you received this." If I don't hear back in a timely manner, I'll call.

SoCalVal

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »
Many of us in my department do this all the time, but we all also receive a ton of e-mails so it helps to get a heads-up that there's a timely e-mail that has been sent.  I often ask people who call me about something to send me an e-mail about it because, otherwise, that means I have to write it all down as a reminder (also, when it's one of the staff with a request, it's so I have it in writing from the person).  I don't think I've ever had a problem with getting both voice mail and e-mail on the same thing when it's work-related.  I don't think anyone else in my department has either.  I guess we're fortunate that seems to be a normal work practice for us and that no one gets bothered by it.  However, I do work in a hospital, and my department deals directly with things affecting patient care so a lot of our communication IS timely.  I also work on the inpatient side so many of management in my section are often busy running around the hospital and would appreciate the verbal heads-up that an important e-mail has been sent to them, rather than finding out only once they have a chance to check their e-mail.

Now, on a personal note, I do have a problem when DH calls and e-mails me at work for something that isn't urgent.  He did this to me just the other day after a big project was sent to me (hours of work).  He calls my work phone to tell me he has decided to do X thing; I was a bit aghast and replied, "Can we talk about this when I see you at home tonight?" (he was calling to just say something like "I decided to go ahead and buy tires next week").  I then looked at my e-mail after I got off the phone with him and discovered he had just e-mailed me about the same thing a few minutes before he called.  I had a discussion with him about contacting me about something non-essential and non-urgent in the middle of my workday when he had also just e-mailed me.  DH knows I'm under an extreme amount of stress at work right now and am now so bogged down by work I've fallen 1-2 months behind on timely tasks.  I warned him this was coming 4-5 months ago and again when it started three months ago so why he felt the need to contact me via e-mail AND a phone call (e-mail is fine because I can read it when I have time) is beyond me (I asked him about it later, and he said he thought it was something I needed to know right away...I don't agree and still don't get it -- I did have a good laugh over the incredulity of it though).

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 10:57:01 AM »
I'll do this occasionally, but it's more about covering my own behind. If I've tried all avenues of communication, then the ball is totally in that person's court to reply. When managing multiple projects, it's easier for me to set timelines in days, not hours. If I just send an email, then if I haven't heard a reply by the end of the day, I feel the need to call them to make sure they saw it.

The voicemail is never anything hyper, just "I sent you an email, but thought I'd try your phone as well. I sent details about XYZ and I need ABC from you ASAP." When I've tried both methods, I feel comfortable giving a full day or more before attempting to follow up again.

People I work with tend to be "on the go", so it's entirely possible to miss an email in all the chaos.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

hjaye

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
I think it's OK when you're calling them first and discussing the situation.  As you stated, this way there is no misunderstanding.  I'll always finish the phone call stating I will send them an email to summarize what we talked about, document the action plan and state the deliverables.  This way there is documentation to back up the discussion.

Betelnut

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
Emails are the written trail for an issue.  Talking is good too for more clarification but an email is "proof" of what was said and agreed upon.  Both are valuable!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
I think a problem is when someone sends an email, and then five minutes later (or less) they call or walk into the person's office and are like, "Did you see my email? We need to take care of this right now!" and it's not actually urgent. That's my boss's thing. Everything is urgent to her, especially because she often stews about something a lot before she contacts anyone about it. So she finally sends an email, and then she calls or visits the person before they even have a chance to read the email, let alone digest it or look something up, and she wants them to give her an answer right then.
~Lynn2000

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »
When the matter they are calling/emailing about is not time-sensative, that habit can be annoying.  But it is something that I can learn to deal with.

Right now at work, I am receiving these specialized reports, but we do have certain qualifications that we require people to fulfill when sending the reports.  And then I send out "Accepted" or "Rejected" emails to confirm our receipt of those reports.  When I have to send 2 or more "Rejected" to someone, I do try to call them to explain the problem(s), and try to help them fix their report. Usually they are really grateful that I am trying to help them.