Author Topic: The overzealous volunteer - sort-of update #33  (Read 7487 times)

laughtermed

Re: The overzealous volunteer
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
I have spent a great deal of time filling various roles in non profit organizations throughout the years. From OP's description, Bud wants a controlling position in the organization without being properly appointed. He has already caused difficulties before. OP's organization needs to focus on its mission rather than dealing with problem volunteers or board members.  Bud may very well want essential operating information about your group that he would probably not use constructively. Once they are into the organization, it can be very problematic to get them to exit. I have also attended one seminar offered by an attorney who said that quality non-profits should not deal with eccentric donors or problem volunteers. Return the contributions or decline their support.

Follow the other people's advice on the thread. After two weeks' time, prepare a gracious letter stating the Organization appreciates his support and interest but has no volunteer positions available suited to his interests and abilities. Have a member of the governing board sign the letter (not the one he got into the disagreement with).

Coley

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
I have spent a great deal of time filling various roles in non profit organizations throughout the years. From OP's description, Bud wants a controlling position in the organization without being properly appointed. He has already caused difficulties before. OP's organization needs to focus on its mission rather than dealing with problem volunteers or board members.  Bud may very well want essential operating information about your group that he would probably not use constructively. Once they are into the organization, it can be very problematic to get them to exit. I have also attended one seminar offered by an attorney who said that quality non-profits should not deal with eccentric donors or problem volunteers. Return the contributions or decline their support.

Follow the other people's advice on the thread. After two weeks' time, prepare a gracious letter stating the Organization appreciates his support and interest but has no volunteer positions available suited to his interests and abilities. Have a member of the governing board sign the letter (not the one he got into the disagreement with).

To the bolded, yes. That is what has happened in the past, and that's what I'm concerned about now. He even admitted to me when we met that he knew he'd overstepped previously and that he shouldn't have done it. And then off he went again. It seems like he is trying to tread lightly with me -- at least being more up front about the "help." But he is undoubtedly seeking yet another background administrative role.

Okay, I know what I have to do. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
Let us know how it goes!  ('cause you know, I'm nosy like that ;))

Minmom3

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »
Bud, what you want to do isn't what we need.  You don't want to do what we need... 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

SoCalVal

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
That's not ripping off the bandaid.
Ripping off the bandaid is, "Thanks anyway, Bud, but I can't use your help. Please confine yourself to your current volunteer role."

I agree to ripping off the bandaid but a little lighter tone since you could still use his help...in the appropriate capacity.  Actually, I'd be inclined to not address his additional suggestions.  Just reply quickly with, "We could use your help with A, B or C position; let us know for which one you would like to sign up.  Thanks!"  He's not listening, and he's not going to listen.  Ignore any further attempts at engaging you regarding his suggestions.  I would reply quickly just to get the response out of the way.  And did I say ignore further suggestions?  If you acknowledge them in any way, he won't stop; he already knows he's overstepping his bounds.  This is how I've learned to deal with someone at work.  She tries to overstep her bounds all the time.  I reply to her to direct her (not-legitimate) concerns to our supervisor (cc'ing Supervisor) then I refuse to be further engaged on the topic in question (she's one of those who will, does and has kept pushing and pushing if you keep engaging her; OTOH, I've heard tales of our supervisor even throwing her out of his office when he's had enough -- apparently, she hasn't learned to read him, even though she's worked with him many more years than I have, and pushes him until he's had enough and tells her to go away).

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »

...  Then, say, "that was interesting, but I really don't have time to meet. We've covered all of these points in our research already, so it would be a waste of my time and yours." ...

Then STOP. 
This is all the information he needs. 
You could even subsitute the words "Boss and I" instead of "we've" just in case he may mistakenly think you're referring to yourself and HIM.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »

Bud has tried to pull this stunt in the past - worming his way into a management responsibility without approval, and trying to take over. And he doesn't appear to have learned anything from being pulled up before. If you give him an inch, he'll take a mile.

So I think you need to cut him off quickly. A quick "We've got it covered and don't need any help." A quick word to the director who pulled him up before, letting him know that Bud is up to old tricks, may be useful - you don't want Bud telling people "Coley asked me for my input" and using that as an excuse.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »
My boss would be happy to have Bud continue in his primary volunteer role or perhaps participate on a committee, but she would not like what Bud is proposing right now at all.
Why not ask her for suggestions? If you have a good working rel@tionship, you might just say, "Bud's at it again. How should I handle it?"  8)

Of course, if she has already told you to handle Bud yourself, I shall simply defer to (by which I mean POD) Toots.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

cutejellybeen

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:35 AM »
I hope I'm wrong here, but I would also worry that Bud will, after seeing you start to implement "his" ideas from the emails, start to lay claim to the work that you had done. I would bring it up with boss as RooRoo said - about how "he's at it again" and mention that he emailed you all the work you had already done. I would be concerned that he would just try to take over, and failing that, completely undermine you with other volunteers by telling them that you wouldn't have be able to coordinate this without him and you arent even acknowledging it!

Hopefully I've got a wrong read on him.

English1

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
Just lay it on the line.

'Bud,

The volunteer vacancies are to serve on the committees. Please let me know if you are interested in this.

There are no volunteer opportunities in Management roles for 'organisation'. Therefore, please do not contact us on management issues as this is not the contribution we seek or recognise from our volunteers'

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
I hope I'm wrong here, but I would also worry that Bud will, after seeing you start to implement "his" ideas from the emails, start to lay claim to the work that you had done. I would bring it up with boss as RooRoo said - about how "he's at it again" and mention that he emailed you all the work you had already done. I would be concerned that he would just try to take over, and failing that, completely undermine you with other volunteers by telling them that you wouldn't have be able to coordinate this without him and you arent even acknowledging it!

This is what I've been thinking.  OP, he might try to take credit for your ideas and work. I'd speak to your boss and let them know what's going on.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »

This is what I've been thinking.  OP, he might try to take credit for your ideas and work. I'd speak to your boss and let them know what's going on.

I completely agree with this and think that's exactly what will happen.  Please bring this to the attention of your boss -- now.

lowspark

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
prepare a gracious letter stating the Organization appreciates his support and interest but has no volunteer positions available suited to his interests and abilities

This. It's nice that you and your boss want to extend a second chance to Bud, but at this point I'd say that any inch you give him will lead to his reaching for a mile. Cut him off and don't let him squirm his way back in.

Coley

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I spoke with my boss about the Bud situation. She agrees that it appears he is overstepping again. I asked her to let me respond to Bud's e-mails in my own way, and she said she would respect that. I know she is glad I told her about it.

Sadly, we do have some volunteer opportunities that would suit his interests and abilities, but he is no longer interested in pursuing them. I am speculating, but I think with the taste of administration he got before, he now believes that this is his calling with our program. Unfortunately, we don't need administrative volunteers. We have a whole board of directors for that.

My boss suggested telling Bud that some of the suggestions he is making are contrary to decisions that were already made a higher level. That is true in some respects. Some of his other suggestions would need board approval at a minimum. I would be hesitant to tell Bud that his suggestions would need board approval because I don't want to imply that I will be seeking board approval. I don't intend to do that.

I may just stick to thanking him for his time and telling him that we already have plans in hand, which have been approved at a higher level.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »

I may just stick to thanking him for his time and telling him that we already have plans in hand, which have been approved at a higher level.

Beaut. Love this plan to basically keep him in the dark and feel him b--- [manure].
Treat him like a mushroom.

He's not really entitled to a long explanation, and the more words you say to him (and the more concepts you introduce), the more openings you give him.