Author Topic: The overzealous volunteer - sort-of update #33  (Read 7266 times)

Coley

Re: The overzealous volunteer
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »

I may just stick to thanking him for his time and telling him that we already have plans in hand, which have been approved at a higher level.

Beaut. Love this plan to basically keep him in the dark and feel him b--- [manure].
Treat him like a mushroom.

He's not really entitled to a long explanation, and the more words you say to him (and the more concepts you introduce), the more openings you give him.

Thanks. Yep, I don't want to leave an opening for "But ... but ..."

whatsanenigma

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 04:50:07 PM »

Sadly, we do have some volunteer opportunities that would suit his interests and abilities, but he is no longer interested in pursuing them. I am speculating, but I think with the taste of administration he got before, he now believes that this is his calling with our program. Unfortunately, we don't need administrative volunteers. We have a whole board of directors for that.

I agree with a lot of the previous posters, but I would like to suggest some wording.  I think it might work well to say (or write) something like "What we need help right now with is..." or "Volunteer positions currently available are...". 

If you send him an email or letter, it could say, for example:

Dear [name],

Thank you for your interest in [thing that needs volunteers].  We are still looking for help with tasks ABC, XYZ, and QPL.

Please let me know if you are interested in any of those positions.

Sincerely,
[your name]

The point being, basically, to say that this is what we need and we don't need anything else.  That saves you from having to directly say "we don't need your help" even though that's what you mean regarding particular tasks he wants to do.  He might hear "we don't need your help at all and we don't want you to play any role whatsoever in this", which would really insult him and doesn't sound like what you mean anyway.

Coley

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
Okay, I sent my response to Bud today. It was a bit wordier than I'd originally intended, but I'm hopeful that it will let him down fairly easy and yet also communicate the point that we've advanced farther down the road than he has. Our plans are, as I said in a PP, already in hand. We will see how he responds. Fingers crossed that he responds positively. If I have an update, I'll post it.

Thanks, everyone! :)

Coley

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
Well, here's a nonupdate update:

It has been two days, and I haven't had any response from Bud. Nothing. Given his previous pattern of behavior, it's likely that he's unhappy at having been shut down. Regardless, I know I did the right thing.

Happily, my boss was pleased with the way I responded to him. She said it was "masterful." I owe that to the responses I received here, and for that I am very grateful! Thanks, eHellions!

o_gal

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:35 PM »
Happily, my boss was pleased with the way I responded to him. She said it was "masterful." I owe that to the responses I received here, and for that I am very grateful! Thanks, eHellions!

Would you please post what you wrote to him? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's curious!

laughtermed

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »

Would you please post what you wrote to him? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's curious!

o'gal-Coley's letter probably should not be posted. It pertains to private organizational affairs. I will take Coley's word it was effective and served its purpose.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
Yeah, don't suggest he volunteer anywhere!

First, be really, really slow to get back to him--you're busy!

Then, say, "that was interesting, but I really don't have time to meet. We've covered all of these points in our research already before we announced the committees, so it would be a waste of my time and yours." (remember, you need not tell the truth at all--even if he thought of something you didn't, SAY THIS. Because, you are establishing that you and everyone else are far ahead of him)

"Thanks for thinking of the cause, though! Hope to see you at one of our fundraisers, like the barbecue." (Pick something he has to pay admission to get into.)

Then, do the fade-out. Never reply right away, and sometimes never reply at all. If you do reply, say, "Sorry to be hard to reach--we're pretty busy. I don't have time to meet. See you at the silent auction!"

I like this approach, but I am inclined to make a couple tweaks.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture