Author Topic: General Travel tips for a first timer  (Read 2931 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: General Travel tips for a first timer
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
Does the resort have any guidelines for their seasonal employees?  Do you know the general temperature range for the time you'll be there?  Is it so remote that there's no shopping at all?

I need khakis for my uniform. Must look nice when out of work and in view of guests. General temp would be 65-75 degrees as it will be summer, and yes, so remote we only go shopping or to the big city only twice monthly i think... I am lucky my hair is short and only needs a tiny amount of both shampoo and conditioner. One bottle of each should last five months :)

I would get a kindle, Sharnita, but all my savings are focused on airfare and what not for the trip. Plus the things I will have to buy when I get there. Yay for walmart trip on the way!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:55 AM »
Unless you have to unbuckle: bathroom visit, getting up to move for someone,  stay seatbelted. It will save you if there is turbulence.

Are you taking a camera? Buy your memory chips and batteries at home.

Remember your restrictions for what you can put in your carry on. Eat a good snack/lunch at the airport after going through security. You aren't likely to get fed a meal on the way there.

Carotte

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »
As far as clothing go I'd say keep in mind layers and things that go well with everything.
The closer to your skin the more often you'll have to wash them, so 7/10 days of underwear.
Then it depends how often you'll get to wash them, how much you sweat, how often you like to change...

When I pack I go from under to outerwear, from weather (sun, rain, cold), and activity (work, walk in the wood, city tourist) same thing for accessories, that way I don't forget the sunglasses, my hiking socks, sunscreen, back up memory for my camera...

Lists are your best friends, keep in mind what you are using throughout the week : clothing, bath room wise (shampoo, combs, nail clipper...), laptop (charger, mini and micro usb cable), camera (charger, memory card..), paper pad (get a few pen, pencils..).
Find a way to have access to any important document you might need. You can either take them with you, scan them and keep a copy, leave them with someone you can contact easily. Insurance, health insurance, prescriptions, legal paper work, proof of identity, proof of ownership, diplomas...
Make a copy of your ID, I know you're staying in the same country but it's always a good idea to have one.

I'd say sensible shoes that you can work in, a pair of flip flops or canvas shoes (like TOMS), if you plan on hiking hiking shoes, if you already have some, if they are expensive and nice, take them with you, if they are cheap and replaceable, buy them there.

For the flight dress comfortably, shoes that you can take of easily, a stretchy kind of pants (I go with legging and a short myself), and layers for the top so you can adapt.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
I was once sent from California to the East Coast for 6 months for work. I drove instead of flying, so my ability to carry stuff was different. I also shipped some things.

What turned out to be a really good idea was bringing a few things that said "home." My bedspread that my grandmother had crocheted. A couple of favorite books. A few small knickknacks. It really helped when I felt homesick.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »
One thing that just dawned on me. 

Bring plenty of insect repellant.  The Mosquitos in Alaska are so big they have to file flight plans. 

OhHai!

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
I would try to get info from someone there on what you should bring.  Alaska can get cold at night, even in the summer.  You may want a winter coat.  And, in the day, you may even want a swimsuit.  (Go figure!)  If it's an established lodge, they may have games, so you may not need to bring anything.  But, a kindle stocked with books is a good idea, even though it's an expense.

Olympia

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
I would get a kindle, Sharnita, but all my savings are focused on airfare and what not for the trip. Plus the things I will have to buy when I get there. Yay for walmart trip on the way!

I don't know what your finances are like, but a basic Kindle is currently $69. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCNJU/ref=sa_menu_kdptq Amazon always has free e-books for download.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »
If the cost of a physical Kindle is out of the question, it is possible to get the app for many devices.  Smart phone, iPad, Windows PC.  If you establish an Amazon account, you can also read any books you've 'purchased' (whether free or paid for) from the Amazon website.

This won't help you much on the flight, but will be good when you get to the resort (assuming they have a wireless network).

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 02:18:03 AM »
If the cost of a physical Kindle is out of the question, it is possible to get the app for many devices.  Smart phone, iPad, Windows PC.  If you establish an Amazon account, you can also read any books you've 'purchased' (whether free or paid for) from the Amazon website.

This won't help you much on the flight, but will be good when you get to the resort (assuming they have a wireless network).

you know? I totally forgot about the kindle app! I can download it to my laptop as that is going with me to Alaska. Thanks for the idea!

Arila

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
What does it feel like during take off? This has been well described previously, there's fairly high acceleration, then the plane tilts up (nose up) so you feel a little like you're in a recliner. As the pilot operates the plane, certain things will move and make noise, or go *k-thunk*. These are normal, and can sound like a far off drill, or like the air wrenches at the tire shop, or like someone hit the plane with a hammer. They are normal. You may even feel some of them through the floor if you're in the right spot. The thumps etc are *good* things, it means the latch operated as designed.

I don't really have reason to be afraid that this plane is just gonna suddenly drop out of the sky right?
No. Planes are designed so that even without engine power, they can safely glide/maneuver to the ground. There are many many redundant systems which can take over if something goes wrong.

I have a fear of heights.
Me too! seriously, one time at camp we had to walk across a log 20 feet in the air with a harness, and I melted into a sobbing mess. I still feel a bit jibbery when I get much higher than 10 feet. As someone else mentioned, it seems totally different from 35,000 feet up. The view is so different that it doesn't really process as "really high" in your brain. I *love* looking out the window. But, go ahead and get an aisle seat - just in case.

Other general things
- Getting your tickets is a two step process, first buy/reserve, then "check-in" and get the piece of paper that lets you on the plane. Check in at least 2-3 hours before flight. online check in is usually available, but for a first time flier, and since you are also checking a bag, just go to the desk
- Be sure to review the airline rules for carry on size, check-in instructions and the TSA (Transportation Safety Administration) for what is allowed in your carry on. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information
- Riding in a plane for me is a lot like riding in a bus. If you get car sick or anything in this situation, take the same precautions, (ginger, drammamine etc). Alcohol usually makes me feel worse.
- Airports are designed for people who have never been there before. There will be lots of signs, and probably a friendly and well staffed information desk.
- Contrary to what many people advise, I usually wear my biggest, heaviest pair of shoes (usually boots) on the plane to save myself room in the suit case. Yes it's a pain at the security desk, but I've gotten good at untying my shoes while I walk. ;)
- I would look up youtube videos about the "process" of flying. There are many step-by-step things that I and the other posters have not all typed out here. We may not even really think of them as things to say to people because it seems so obvious when you've already done it a bunch of times.

Second issue:

So what do I pack?  How much of each thing?
Figure out your day-to-day wear. You have said khakis, so I would pack 2-3 pairs of these, and maybe 1 pair of more casual bottoms. Pack 7-10 tops which all roughly go together, and then only 2-3 middle layers (cardigans, pull over sweaters) that match all the tops. 7-10 undies and pairs of socks (but you can sacrifice some of these if you wash them in the sink and hang to dry). Since you are stopping at walmart on the way on the first day, skip pretty much any consumable that you could buy there (shampoo, toothpaste). These are such a PAIn to fly with, because if they get squished or leak they are a mess, and they are annoying for security) The secret to packing light is to combine as many things as possible and *NOT* pack "for every eventuality", so you don't need a sweater to go with every top, alternate between two that go with every shirt you wear underneath. You don't need a dinner date dress and heels (just in case). You don't need hiking boots and sneakers and slip ons, etc, etc, etc. Try to get it down to one, or MAXIMUM 2 pairs of shoes, one of which you will wear on the plane. Sneaky tip: Coats/jackets are freebees through security and as a carry on. Even if it's too warm to wear it when you leave, wear it instead of packing it to save space in the luggage.

how big should the luggage be?
There is a limit from the airline, but you might also consider how much you will be lugging it around. If you're going to be hiking with it up stairs or a long way from the car to the room, a bag with wheels is not much good to you. I travel with a Rick Steves Back Door Bag, and a large laptop backpack.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »
I concur with PPs who suggested layers. I recommend packing layering clothes for any climate.

Shirts: Tanks or camisoles, thin short and long sleeve shirts, a sweater, a jacket.

Pants: One pair of leggings for layering, shorts, pants, jeans.

Other: More underwear than you think you will need. Some small thing that is a comfort item to you. Comfortable socks. Your favorite pajamas.

I also love to fly.

mich3554

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
As you are checking a bag, airlines have a 50 lb limit.  For me, this is my 25" Delsey bag that is NOT expanded.  Airlines take this limit seriously, so you really want to stay under it.

I live in the PNW and the one thing that I would take before all else is my Gore tex.  Alone, it is a decent lightweight jacket but if I put a fleece or even a down shell under it, it can take me from 30-40F. 

I'd by pass bringing any toiletries other than the ones you won't find at Walmart, if you're going to stop there on the way to the resort.  Be aware that they will likely be more expensive than what you're used to paying.

If your uniform is khakis, I'd probably be taking  at least 3 pair, and a pair of jeans.  You might want to bring a pair of shorts or two as it will get warm during the day.  Along with this, you'll need to bring a combination of t shirts, LS shirts and tanks.  If you bring a button up shirt, it can be used as a light jacket over a tank or another layering piece with a LS t shirt or ss t shirt.  A pair of light hiking shoes can replace sneakers and are more substantial.  I'd probably bring another pair of shoes and maybe some flip flops to suffice as slippers.  What you do need a bit of is underwear and socks.  7-10 days is good.  Add a swimsuit and pjs, a light robe and you'll be set.

This is pretty much what I took to Turkey when I went for a month.  My suitcase was exactly 35 lbs when I left. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »
Great descriptions of what flying feels like. I make one to two round-trips a year and I've never had anything bad happen.

I do find planes uncomfortable in the sense of being small--you're pressed very close to the people beside you and in front of you, and the ceiling is low. Also the aisle is quite narrow. I prefer to sit on the aisle myself, so I feel like I have a bit more room, but that also means I'm jostled more as people go by.

In terms of the heights, to me looking out the window of an airplane is like looking at Google Maps, the satellite view. Of course it's different when it's "live" and moving slowly below you. I don't really like heights either, but I feel very secure sitting inside an airplane, behind the tiny, thick windows.

Check out the TSA website, the website for your airline, and the websites for any airports you'll be stopping at. Look at all the luggage restrictions, both size and contents--I do this every time before I fly, in case something's changed. There are restrictions about the size of liquids and other substances that you can carry onto the plane, for example, and how you have to display them to security. Every airport I've been to has a ton of signage, so if you just take a minute to orient yourself you will probably find your way around. Also there are often humans at info kiosks who can help, too. Airport food is often more expensive so watch out for that.

I always check a bag and then carry my bookbag onto the plane with me. I think it's good to have a carry-on with essentials like extra underwear and important documents, but space is really at a premium on planes, IME, and the smaller a bag you have to carry around with you and fit places, the better. There are the overhead bins and then there's also room under the seat in front of you--I make my bookbag fit under the seat. The overhead bins are a little too high for me, so I would probably need someone's help with my bag, which slows down the line and is awkward.

On most flights I've been on lately, I feel like everyone is trying to drag as much as possible onto the plane, and there's just a hard limit to how much it can hold, physically. People are swinging bags around and almost hitting other people with them, pushing and shoving on bags to get stuff in the overhead bins, etc.. I get that it's because a lot of airlines charge for checked bags now so they're trying to use every bit of "carry-on" they're allocated, but I think it becomes rude because at some point, every extra inch you take up is an inch taken away from another passenger, and inches matter on crowded planes.

Don't wear anything heavily scented to get on the plane. Again, you will be in a small space with a lot of other people for several hours, and the scent may really bother someone else. Same with bringing smelly food on. Maybe have some mints on hand.

I would try to talk to someone who has actually been to the area you're going to, at the time you'll be there, to find out what the environment is like. For example, every year I go to a conference in San Diego. People who've never been always think it's going to be 90 degrees with everyone wearing bikinis. No, it's actually more like 70 and quite chilly in the shade when the breeze comes off the ocean (this is wintertime).
~Lynn2000

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
What exactly will you be doing? Cause I have a friend who spend a few summers in Alaska working for the fishing factories doing stuff. I could get her take one what to bring if that is what you will be doing.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
Pack half as much stuff and twice as money.