Author Topic: General Travel tips for a first timer  (Read 2895 times)

mich3554

Re: General Travel tips for a first timer
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
Pack half as much stuff and twice as money.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP is going to be in a fairly remote area of Alaska, so going out to buy socks because she did not take sufficient amount isn't going to work.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »

Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP is going to be in a fairly remote area of Alaska, so going out to buy socks because she did not take sufficient amount isn't going to work.

Plus if this is what I think it is money isn't really a problem - she will be paid well and won't have many places to spend it.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 05:36:40 PM »

Plus if this is what I think it is money isn't really a problem - she will be paid well and won't have many places to spend it.

For what it's worth, I moved about 18 times during undergraduate for jobs/school/jobs and I'm standing by this advice.  More stuff is a pain to transport and you don't need as much as you think you do.

There are always costs for a set-up when you move to a place (even a furnished place). Moving costs money. And there is always a delay in the first pay cheque. And you always want enough money to get home. If you don't need the extra money, that's great, but you want that back-up.

And there are plenty of socks in Alaska. Maybe not as cheap, but one thing I found about small town general stores is that they knew what people actually needed and stocked accordingly.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »

For what it's worth, I moved about 18 times during undergraduate for jobs/school/jobs and I'm standing by this advice.  More stuff is a pain to transport and you don't need as much as you think you do.

There are always costs for a set-up when you move to a place (even a furnished place). Moving costs money. And there is always a delay in the first pay cheque. And you always want enough money to get home. If you don't need the extra money, that's great, but you want that back-up.

And there are plenty of socks in Alaska. Maybe not as cheap, but one thing I found about small town general stores is that they knew what people actually needed and stocked accordingly.

The OP has posted in another thread that it would be an ordeal just to get to the small general store near the resort.  She has also posted that she's short on funds and is currently trying to earn the funds to travel there.

TimeForANap

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »
I am glad someone up thread asked for clarification about the ground squirrels in the restaurant.  I was wondering if they were being SERVED in the restaurant, like maybe some sort of Alaskan delicacy.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
Well its a moot point as work would have started on the fifth, and I wasn't allowed to go anyway. Ah well. Thanks for all the help though :)

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Oh that's a bummer.  Why weren't you allowed to go? 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
urgh! sorry to hear!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nikko-chan

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »
Oh that's a bummer.  Why weren't you allowed to go?

My mother told me I wasn't.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »
Um, how old are you?

Victoria

Nikko-chan

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
Um, how old are you?

25. Yeah I know. And I would have brought back enough money to keep us fed for a year if she  had let me borrow enough for a plane ticket. But oh well.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 08:47:15 AM »
That's definitely a bummer, and I'm sorry to hear it - it really sounded like an adventure.  Do you think you'd be offered the job again next year?  If so, you've got a year to start saving up air fare starting now.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
How frustrating. Why did she object? Could you not borrow the money from the bank?

Victoria

ccnumber4

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
I understand you are disappointed.  However, it's not that you weren't "allowed" to go, it's that you didn't have/save the money you needed to pay for it.

We all have things we want to do, but as adults, we are required to fund those things ourselves.  It would have been great if your mother had loaned you the money for a plane ticket, but that fact that she didn't doesn't make it her fault that you aren't going. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Sorry, OP. I hope your planning over the next year makes it possible for you in the future.