Author Topic: General Travel tips for a first timer  (Read 3062 times)

Nikko-chan

General Travel tips for a first timer
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
So for those of you who have seen my other thread, you all know I have a job out of state. Its across the country actually, in Alaska. So that means I am going to have to go on a plane. I am afraid of heights. What I want to know:

What does it feel like during take off?

I don't really have reason to be afraid that this plane is just gonna suddenly drop out of the sky right?

I am seriously terrified. Oh and did I mention? I have a fear of heights.  :-\

Second issue:

I am going to be gone for five months. So what do I pack? How much of each thing? how big should the luggage be? Granted I know I will be washing my clothing, but, I do need some guidelines!

What else should I bring with me? I am going to be bringing a bunch of games in my carryon so that my fellow workers and I aren't just sitting there bored in the rec room all the time.

So what say you, ehellions? What would you bring?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: General Travel tips for a first timer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
Travelling by plane is a lot safer than by car so, no, you don't have a lot to be worried about.

Sit away from the window. During take-off, you will feel the plane speeding up on the run way and, then, you will feel your back press into the seat back as the plane takes off. Depending on the airport, the plane may need to make a turn, so you will feel it tilting a little to the side. Some people will feel the pressure building up in their ear (I never had a problem). And that is pretty much it.

If you are unlucky, you may have to cross some turbulence. In most cases, it feels like a bumpy road. In bad cases, there will be roller coaster like dips. Yes, you may feel that weird feeling in your stomach. But remember that the plane is flying incredibly high and there is plenty of room below. It may feel like an eternity but it is a only a couple of seconds.

The descent when landing is usually pretty smooth and shouldn't bother you. Then, you will feel the bump when the landing wheels hit the run way. The plane will brake quite strongly (and your purse may slide down under the next seat...) and you are done.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:24:34 PM »
I haven't seen your other thread, could you direct us to it?

I too am not crazy about heights, but you really don't notice it much in a plane that's taking off.  The angle is really pretty gentle, and they'll generally tell you that you can take your seatbelt off within a few minutes.  However, it can be a good idea to keep it on.  It's not uncomfortable, but the fact is that the plane can encounter turbulence (wind, not dangerous) just about anytime.

Also, it depends on what area of Alaska you're going to - it's a huge state with highly varying weather conditions.  Places such as Anchorage or the Kenai Peninsula don't necessarily get a whole lot colder than northeastern continental US.  If you're going to be indoors most of the time, you probably don't need thermal underwear for example.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:45:56 PM »
Congrats on the new job!

Airplanes aren't *that* bad. It's kinda scary at take off and touch down, but most of what bothers me is the motion sickness (I have jacked up ears and have to take heavy meds when I go on long trips), so you probably won't have my experience. Be prepared for possible turbulence, though; that can be utterly terrifying if you've never experienced it before. During that, it feels like the bottom dropped out of your gut.

If you can, try to get an aisle seat, so you can get out and move around easily. Keep the window blind closed if you can, because looking down is terrible for an acrophobe such as yourself.

Vis a vis laundry, it depends purely on how frequently you'll be doing laundry - at least pack a week's worth of clothes to start with.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
I think take-off feels like being in a race car and I LOVE IT  ;D! Landing is a bit stressful for me because the sound of the wind on the wings makes it seem like you're coming in really fast, but I just remind myself that planes do this hundreds of times per day all around the world and it's always like that so we're okay.

I'm afraid of heights, too, but flying doesn't scare me. You're so far up that everything looks fake. Cars are tiny silver specs of glitter in the sunlight. There are a few minutes during take-off and landing where you hit that magic height that feels like "Oh crap, I'm gonna fall!" but like someone else said, don't sit by the window (or look away) and you'll be okay.

Consider packing the bulk of your clothing and household goods and shipping them ahead. I know sometimes it doesn't turn out to be cheaper than paying for multiple bags but sometimes it is, it's worth checking. Definitely take whatever you couldn't go a week without in your carry-on bag. Three days worth of clothes, medication and toiletries, etc., just in case you get there before your luggage does  :-\.

So I was just having a conversation with a relative on facebook and travel came up, she sent me this link...
http://www.packitup.com/pilot.asp
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:09:10 AM by JenJay »

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:30:37 AM »
@kareng57 here is the other thread:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132281.0

Good info - but again, about where in Alaska?

Unless it's something like a really remote fishing destination, you'll probably find that there's decent TV satellite reception, and shops where you can buy basic stuff like shampoo, toothpaste etc.  When our family toured Alaska, we found that there were many seasonal student employees from the lower-48 who seemed to be having the time of their lives (even if they'd never encountered ground squirrels in restaurants before.. :))/

Nikko-chan

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 12:45:56 AM »

Unless it's something like a really remote fishing destination, you'll probably find that there's decent TV satellite reception, and shops where you can buy basic stuff like shampoo, toothpaste etc.  When our family toured Alaska, we found that there were many seasonal student employees from the lower-48 who seemed to be having the time of their lives (even if they'd never encountered ground squirrels in restaurants before.. :))/

Its remote.... very very remote. Think three hours from a big city remote. Which I don't mind really. I just... yeah. I think it would be more on the water and stuff since they have fishing and such that people the come to the lodge can do. Also what do you mean ground squirrels in restaurants?

And JenJay everything is provided for us as far as lodgings go. I will only be there five months, and come back to Ohio in September, so I only need 2 bags (a check in and a carry on). I just.... I'm one of those people who likes to plan ahead, stress out, and then I will be completely calm because I know what I have to do. :) Also, thank you for the link!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 01:08:35 AM »
Me too! So much so that when I mentioned to a friend that DH was putting in for his next work transfer she replied "Oh good! That means I get to lmao at you freaking out for the next 6 months."  ::)

List are my best friends. A smartphone capable of constantly updated lists, schedules, calendars, contacts, etc? My very bestiest bestest friend evar!!! lol

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »

Its remote.... very very remote. Think three hours from a big city remote. Which I don't mind really. I just... yeah. I think it would be more on the water and stuff since they have fishing and such that people the come to the lodge can do. Also what do you mean ground squirrels in restaurants?

And JenJay everything is provided for us as far as lodgings go. I will only be there five months, and come back to Ohio in September, so I only need 2 bags (a check in and a carry on). I just.... I'm one of those people who likes to plan ahead, stress out, and then I will be completely calm because I know what I have to do. :) Also, thank you for the link!

Ground squirrels - certainly didn't mean to scare you, it was more humorous.  They are feisty little things and will try to enter the restaurant through the main or deck doors in an attempt to steal crackers.  Usually, they had succeeded by the time that the youthful staff chased them out - generally by gently butting-them with tall restaurant menus. :)

Overall it sounds like a wonderful adventure.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 04:47:44 AM »
I flown many times, trans atlantic, anywhere from 4-12 hour flights.

I hate the "actual" flying, even though i've done it probably over a dozen times, i still get scared. it's an irrational fear - but like you i think that the plane is just going to drop out of the sky. and they don't. I always think that there must be dozens of secret police tracking my every mood because they can see how freaked out i seem!

anyway:
*try to sit on a aisle, and if there is a middle section then choose an aisle on the middle section. that iwll give you a lot less "window".
*try to not sit on the wing - it's noisier.
*at take off and landing - sometimes it feels like the plane is rattling and jumpy.  that's normal - they open/shut flaps and open/shut the landing gear.
*a little befoer they start the descent for landing, it may feel like the plane suddenly "stops". it doesn't!

Other than that - i take a carry on that goes in the over head and asmaller bag that goes under my seat and a smaller bag that holds *just* my phone/tablet/passports/money (seriously tiny bag). carry on always has extra undies, extra shirt. the smaller bag holds a sweater/wrap, food, water, book, magazine, meds, makeup (always take lip balm and a small continer of body lotion/hand cream - the cabin can get very dry). Wraps (pashiminas) are great for planes because they roll up into nothing and are very warm if you need it. dress in layers - most of the time the cabins are cool to cold but i've been on flights taht were too warm and i was happy to go down to a sleeveless cotton t shirt. wear comfortable shoes that are easy to take on and off - remember you will have to do some walking throughout the airport. if you wear sandals or flip flops, take an extra pair of socks.

So for those of you who have seen my other thread, you all know I have a job out of state. Its across the country actually, in Alaska. So that means I am going to have to go on a plane. I am afraid of heights. What I want to know:

What does it feel like during take off?

I don't really have reason to be afraid that this plane is just gonna suddenly drop out of the sky right?

I am seriously terrified. Oh and did I mention? I have a fear of heights.  :-\

Second issue:

I am going to be gone for five months. So what do I pack? How much of each thing? how big should the luggage be? Granted I know I will be washing my clothing, but, I do need some guidelines!

What else should I bring with me? I am going to be bringing a bunch of games in my carryon so that my fellow workers and I aren't just sitting there bored in the rec room all the time.

So what say you, ehellions? What would you bring?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 04:55:44 AM »
The only reason I don't like flying is that it's so boring, but bear in mind, I live in Australia. It's a long way from anywhere. Long haul isn't 6-12 hours, it's 14-20 hours. Anyway, I love taking off and landing, I love that feeling of gravity or g-force. 

I'm not keen on heights, but it's different in a plane (or balloon) there's nothing to judge how high you are. Also the clouds are very cool from above. You'll probably fly through a cloud and fly over the top of many. It's just beautiful up there.

Sometimes there's some turbulence, I've never experienced bad turbulence though.

As to what to pack, normally I'd say less, but as you're off to Alaska, I'd say take your winter woollies, some good boots and as good a camera as you can afford.

Have fun! You'll be fine.

Victoria

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
First, Congratulations on your new job.

Fear of heights and fear of flying are two different things.  I have such a fear of heights that I get dizzy on the third step of a library ladder but I have no problem with flying. 

You might want to look up a copy of 'Things That Go Bump in the Flight' by Robert Welch. It's very helpful.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:48 AM »
I really don't like heights either but a plane doesn't feel like "heights". I can even sit by a window and be OK.

If you are a reader I'd get a Kindle and load up on books. You'll have all that entertainment in a small, lightweight device. 

Check temperature/precipitation records for the past several summer to get an idea what to pack. If other employees have been in the past ask for suggestions.

Leave some room in your luggage for items you get there and want to bring home.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:55 AM »
Does the resort have any guidelines for their seasonal employees?  Do you know the general temperature range for the time you'll be there?  Is it so remote that there's no shopping at all?