Author Topic: Weird Reaction to Facebook "Happy Birthday" Post  (Read 9087 times)

Specky

Re: Weird Reaction to Facebook "Happy Birthday" Post
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »
I would delete my comment from his wall, defriend, and move on.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 12:32:10 AM »
It's so silly. So you aren't close friends, so what? If I find out that it is someone's birthday I wish them a happy birthday. Person at gas station, bank teller, whoever.

If he doesn't want to be Facebook friends with aquantences that's fine. He can defriend them all. But skip the snark.

Runningstar

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:53 AM »
Minor BG:

"I read your birthday wishes, and I wonder to what extent I still know you. Have you tried to contact me in the past year, other than these two words? I don't believe so. Not that I'm saying I'm not guilty here, because I haven't exactly kept current in your life."

He sounds lonely and a bit lacking in social skills to me.  I have a facebook friend that would totally have written something like that to me, and I may be interpreting it with him in mind.  So I hear the hurt and the pain in there.  Do you want to be friends with this person?  If yes, then write back something and meet up or catch up with him.  If not, I'd say not to make a snarky reply, but just quietly defriend him or ignore that comment. 

CakeEater

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 06:45:19 AM »
I'll be honest, I feel the same as him. Why wish someone a happy birthday when you have no contact with them through out the rest of the year. But I would never say something to someone who decides to make a post when they get the FB prompt.

Because this bugs me, I change my settings on my bday to limit the people who can post on my wall on my bday. If someone really wants to send a greeting through FB, they PM me.

I do as well - I just don't have my birthday listed, so FB doesn't prompt anyone. I don't really like the idea of people wishing me happy birthday when they wouldn't have known/remembered without the prompt.

I certainly don't get annoyed at anyone forgetting, though, or with wishing me a happy birthday if they find out somehow. Good wishes are good wishes, right?

What a strange thing to say. Definitely defriend.

Jones

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
12 years since high school? I'm guessing he hit the big 3-0 and went into a birthday funk. Let it go, defriend if you want, or not.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
It was his birthday.  My guess is that he was PUI (Posting Under the Influence). I'd just ignore it and see if things go back to the status quo.

That was my first thought too ^^^. Defriend and ignore. 
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
It was his birthday.  My guess is that he was PUI (Posting Under the Influence). I'd just ignore it and see if things go back to the status quo.

That was my first thought too ^^^. Defriend and ignore.

I agree. That's a really strange response, sonsidering that FB reminds you to post a Happy Birthday message. The usual is just a "like" or a "thank you" and everone moves on. I def ignore.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
12 years since high school? I'm guessing he hit the big 3-0 and went into a birthday funk. Let it go, defriend if you want, or not.

I wouldn't bother to unfriend unless you genuinely are not interested in how his life is going. I do think OP might be overthinking this.

I would ignore, however.

kategillian

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »
I would say 'You're absolutely right'. And them de-friend. What the heck, I say happy birthday to total strangers if I find out that it is their birthday.

squashedfrog

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
To be honest if he was that bothered about it all, why be friends in Facebook eith you all this time? He's had ample time to de friend people who he hasn't had contact with for years, do why the PA?   Defriend, he's a drama llama.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
I would delete my comment from his wall, defriend, and move on.

This.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
If it's that big a deal to him, why didn't HE make a move to contact you before? Works both ways...

Arila

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
I'll be honest, I feel the same as him. Why wish someone a happy birthday when you have no contact with them through out the rest of the year. But I would never say something to someone who decides to make a post when they get the FB prompt.

Because this bugs me, I change my settings on my bday to limit the people who can post on my wall on my bday. If someone really wants to send a greeting through FB, they PM me.

Regarding the bolded, that's the part that kind of gets me about FB and birthdays. People don't know/remember your birthday, they had to be prompted to recognize it. Might have gone all year without a single like or comment on their page, but since FB makes it almost zero effort to do so, now all these somewhat random people come out of the woodwork.

Also, I do not see it at all as being the same as someone wishing happy birthday in real life as they are going about their day. That's somewhat transient, whereas, when you look at your birthday wall posts there's a motley assortment of friends and near strangers. Perhaps missing some people you care about, but yay! 10 people who you couldn't pick out of a lineup. ::)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

Regarding the bolded, that's the part that kind of gets me about FB and birthdays. People don't know/remember your birthday, they had to be prompted to recognize it. Might have gone all year without a single like or comment on their page, but since FB makes it almost zero effort to do so, now all these somewhat random people come out of the woodwork.

Also, I do not see it at all as being the same as someone wishing happy birthday in real life as they are going about their day. That's somewhat transient, whereas, when you look at your birthday wall posts there's a motley assortment of friends and near strangers. Perhaps missing some people you care about, but yay! 10 people who you couldn't pick out of a lineup. ::)

That's somewhat presumptive. I only remember my family members' birthdays, but it's not as if I only care about my family and to Hades with everyone else. I just don't have time to remember 200 - some days out of the year that all the people I care about were born on. It's not the mark of a bad friend not to remember things like that. Even of the family members I know the birthdays of, I only remember well my immediate family (mom, dad, and twin sister), grandparents (only two left) and a cousin whose birthday is 2 weeks before mine and Cabbage's. It doesn't mean I don't care about my uncles and aunts, and they know that.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Arila

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »

That's somewhat presumptive. I only remember my family members' birthdays, but it's not as if I only care about my family and to Hades with everyone else. I just don't have time to remember 200 - some days out of the year that all the people I care about were born on. It's not the mark of a bad friend not to remember things like that. Even of the family members I know the birthdays of, I only remember well my immediate family (mom, dad, and twin sister), grandparents (only two left) and a cousin whose birthday is 2 weeks before mine and Cabbage's. It doesn't mean I don't care about my uncles and aunts, and they know that.

The differentiating line is whether or not that is the only contact you have (FB birthday wishes) the other 364 days of the year they can't be bothered to remember you exist, and they only remembered because FB told them to. If you're commenting on posts, liking things and posting interesting things to their wall, even if your only contact is online, I don't find the bday stuff nearly so offensive -- just the knee jerk reaction of people who don't care any other day, didn't know it was my bday until FB prompted (not reminded, but PROMPTED) them to go say something, and probably forgot all about it 5 minutes later.

I don't remember everyone's birthdays either, and it's not that I don't use reminder tools, but at the very least I deliberately set them up, and also set the reminders for more than a week ahead so that I can send a card.