General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Spelling/Grammar on the internet

(1/11) > >>

oz diva:
Is asking for correct spelling and or grammar a lost cause on the internet?

I have this unusual ability to notice spelling or grammar mistakes - including when the wrong word is used e.g. sight instead of site, immediately. Even though I'm a speed reader, mistakes jump out at me as though they were written in bold type.

While it's a useful skill, on the internet it can be just plain annoying as there's so many mistakes out there. Is there anyway I can politely call people up on it? Or do I just have to suffer* in silence?

* probably too strong a word as it's definitely a first world problem.

Edited because of my own grammar mistake, oops.

Luci:
I don't think it is too much too ask for proper spelling and punctuation and words (like there/their/they're problems).

I do find that I make the errors, and I plead forgiveness. Usually my posts are understandable.

I proof everything twice, but still miss errors.

It really upsets me that on a certain website that the reporter makes many errors, and she it getting paid for what she does and is presumably a professional.

I'm not sure if the cause is lost or not.

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: oz diva on March 09, 2014, 08:06:16 PM ---Is asking for correct spelling and or grammar a lost cause on the internet?

--- End quote ---

Yes.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway. :)

I do think professional writers should be held to a higher standard than the average comment board user, but really, in both cases I think the only polite way to protest is to simply stop reading them. I guess I can think of polite ways to say, "I would read your stuff if it had better spelling and grammar," but I'm not sure it's polite to say it at all, unasked, or that there would be any point to it. If I find I can't understand what people are trying to convey, I just skip over it.

PastryGoddess:
I think on forum boards like this, there is nothing you can do. 

However, on websites where people are being paid to write, there should be a minimum standard of grammar and spelling.  And it should be brought to the owners or editors attention.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on March 09, 2014, 08:44:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: oz diva on March 09, 2014, 08:06:16 PM ---Is asking for correct spelling and or grammar a lost cause on the internet?

--- End quote ---

Yes.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway. :)

I do think professional writers should be held to a higher standard than the average comment board user, but really, in both cases I think the only polite way to protest is to simply stop reading them. I guess I can think of polite ways to say, "I would read your stuff if it had better spelling and grammar," but I'm not sure it's polite to say it at all, unasked, or that there would be any point to it. If I find I can't understand what people are trying to convey, I just skip over it.

--- End quote ---

I edit for a living.

And yes, in a place like EtiquetteHell, or any other forum, or on Facebook--it is a lost cause.

There are -plenty- of people who use proper grammar, and whose spelling mistakes are the result of a typo or hurried proofreading.

But people are human, and they are not going to be any more perfect online than they are in real life.

And to literally ask for correct spelling and grammar is phenomenally rude.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version