Author Topic: Just...Bwuh??? (Feel free to share stories!)  (Read 2493 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Just...Bwuh??? (Feel free to share stories!)
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:22:59 AM »
I work at a movie theater, usually at the box office. This means I'm often the first face people see, and I have to direct "traffic" sometimes.

Well, I had to tell a woman that the auditorium she was waiting to go into was not clean yet, so she could not stay in the theater lobby. She was, of course, allowed to get concessions and use the restroom, but we could not let her - or anyone waiting on a clean auditorium - go past the main lobby. Most people are understanding and will wait. Some...are not, but I can deal with impatient most of the time.

This woman, however, chose to take a slightly different path and say, "Are you [redacted] kidding me??" and acted like I was a big meanie for not, yanno, letting her sit in a dirty, messy auditorium. Yes, how horrible that I want your experience to be a pleasant one.

This woman is not the first person to get completely furious at me for this, though. One woman insisted that, after she'd waited all of 5 - 10 minutes for me to get the go - ahead over the walkie - talkie, she would never patronize this establishment again.

I realize that for some people that amount of time is a long time to wait because of disabilities, visible or not, but if that were the case, I would appreciate a head's up so I can clear it with my supervisor for you to sit inside. I cannot let everyone do that, because it would be a fire hazard, but we are more than willing to accommodate people with a genuine need as much as possible.

Anyone else have brain - hurty work stories like mine?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

XRogue

Re: Just...Bwuh??? (Feel free to share stories!)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »
When I was a cashier, I actually liked working the cigarette aisle for the most part. Most people are polite, and it's rarely slammed. I also liked most of our older customers, but sometimes....

I'd seen this gentleman in the store before, he would come in on his own motorized scooter from the nursing home/independent living center up the street, and word had it he was a bit difficult, always paid with a store gift card, evidently his kids took that method of giving him an "allowance" that he could use only in certain selected places.

Customer comes huffing up to me on his scooter and snaps " I already had to wait in line once, the cashier down there wouldn't come get my cigarettes from here and sell them to me on this lane!"

I replied "Yes sir, we cannot sell tobacco on any lane but this one, it's store policy and the software on the registers will not let us ring it up anywhere else. Now what brand would you like, please?"

C snarls back" Whatever's cheapest, and I am also going to want ten dollars back on my debit card!" I reply, "I'm very sorry sir, 20 dollars is the smallest amount of cash back we can do on a debit card."

I hold up one each of our 3 cheapest brands, he says he wants Marlboros and demands to know where the CSM is so he can complain about the first cashier not checking out his cigarettes on 1 express and me not giving him 10 cash back altho we have no option to do any such thing.  CSM overhears his demand as she's walking back to the podium and asks OSC if she can help him in any way.

He says, "Yes, you can tell this girl  to give me ten dollars cash back like I want, and we should be able to get cigarettes on any lane in here, I didn't want to have to come down all this way to this lane."

CSM replies, "I'm sorry sir, I can't reprogram the registers to sell tobacco on all of them, and the bank makes the decision on the cash back amounts. Is there anything else we can get you?"

C snarls a negative, tells me to ring up his Marlboros.

I ring the guy up and give him his total without bothering to card him and he swipes his card on the debit reader, swearing about not being able to get ten dollars cash back the whole time. He says, "It's not asking for my pin!" THROWS the card at me and tells me to swipe the card thru my register.

I get the card swiped and realize, it's a gift card like he always uses. No PIN, and no cash back allowed at all. C yells "Ok, I changed my mind, I want 20 back now, where's the screen for that up here on the pad?"

I reply "Sir, there is no way we can do cash back on our store gift cards, even the assistant manager can't do it. Would you like me to get the manager for you?"

C turns 3 shades of puce, then goes white and says, "No, I'll just buy them at the Murphy out front from now on, the service is better!"

I hand him his Marlboros and he scoots off, nearly running down CSM in the process. The customer behind C asks me if he was really trying to get cash back on a store card, I say yes, and CSM says, yeah, he tries that on our cashiers every time he gets one he hasn't seen before. His kids want to keep a leash on his spending so it's store gift cards only. When he gets cash he tries to give it to someone at the home to spend on liquor for him.

(we're in a dry county, it's about 6 miles over the river bridge to the nearest liquor store, so C can't make it safely on his scooter. )

Coley

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
Years ago, I worked as a bank teller in the drive-in area. The bank had strict rules about getting proper ID before cashing checks -- even for our customers. The rules were especially stringent for new checking accounts because the new account checks aren't pre-printed with any customer information. All they have is an account number that's pre-printed, so if the checks are stolen, they could be used by nearly anyone.

Just as we were getting ready to close one Saturday morning, a man drove into the drive-in. I was the teller who wound up waiting on him. I opened the carrier and saw that he'd sent in a new account check. It had no identifying information on it. He also didn't send his ID with it. I looked up his account in the computer and confirmed it was new. Because it was a new account, the paperwork hadn't been completely processed, so I couldn't verify his signature on the computer either.

I asked the man if he could send in his driver's license. He replied that he didn't bring it. I told him that I couldn't cash the check without proper ID because it was a new account. He then began screaming at me about my poor customer service, how he'd just come from his house and didn't think to bring his wallet with him, he needed money for the weekend, blah blah blah. I told him I'd check with a manager. Being a Saturday, the managers were on call, so I had to get on the phone to call a manager. He then started screaming about how I was taking too long. I got a manager on the phone, and he confirmed that I could not cash the check.

I had to tell the angry man that I could not give him any money for the weekend. His response, "You mean that I put my money in this bank and I can't get it? BLAH BLAH BLAH" I told him that I was required to follow bank policy. The policy was actually in place to protect his account. If he'd just bring his license with him next time, he'd be able to cash a check. And then I turned off the microphone so I didn't have to listen to the ranting.

Did I mention that he DROVE into our drive-in without his driver's license?

The next Saturday, the angry man again arrived in the drive-in near closing time. He sent the carrier in to us. I wound up helping him again. I was anxious about helping him. I opened the carrier, and he'd sent in another new account check, but this time, he also wrote his full name and address on it, his shoe size, and a bunch of other unnecessary information. He also had stuffed numerous forms of ID in the carrier, including his driver's license, along with a birth certificate and a bunch of other junk, including a photo of his first-born son. I'm not kidding.

I greeted him as we greeted all the customers, and he took that opportunity to laugh at me and say in a snotty tone, "Did I send you everything you need to cash a check?" I said, "Sir, as I told you last week, all we need is the driver's license." And I turned off the microphone, cashed his check, and sent all his stuff back to him.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
OP, you should probably move this to the coffee break folder (I think we're able to move threads we've created ourselves... I may be mistaken though). It's a great idea for a thread, and I'm afraid it'll be locked for being off topic.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
OP, you should probably move this to the coffee break folder (I think we're able to move threads we've created ourselves... I may be mistaken though). It's a great idea for a thread, and I'm afraid it'll be locked for being off topic.

In truth, there's already a good thread for this kind of thing.  Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

SoCalVal

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »
In truth, there's already a good thread for this kind of thing.  Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)

I had the same thought.