Author Topic: Asking why you were not chosen  (Read 4064 times)

Another Sarah

Re: Asking why you were not chosen
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »
Don't wait until you don't get the job. At the end of the interview ask, "Is there anything that stands out to you that makes you think I might not be the right fit for this job?"

It gives you a chance to address any issues or questions.

As a recruiter that would irritate me being put on the spot like that.   Particularly if there is more than one interviewer and I want to confer with them on our thoughts first.   Realistically I'm not going to end an interview with a negative so they're going to end up with a generic positive answer anyway, particularly if I haven't had the opportunity to compare them to other candidates yet, it's just too soon to know for sure.
I think it's good advice but not the best wording - a recruitment consultant once advised me to ask at the end of my interview "do you have any reservations?" or "is there anything you're not sure about that I can elaborate on" and it has been great advice for me. They might give some feedback at that point but more importantly it gives you a second chance to respond to any concerns they have in a positive way or re-answer any questions they were less than satisfied with.

Library Dragon

Re: Asking why you were not chosen
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 02:01:24 AM »
Much better wording, thanks.  It's the general idea of opening up the conversation so that you (general) can address concerns. 

Honestly, I've never had an interviewee ask any variation of this.  It came up in a discussion with a friend who works in HR for a big dog NASA contractor.  He interviews a lot of engineers and gives them an opprtunity to get beyond the check list of qualifications. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter