Author Topic: Naked Pictures of Children on FB  (Read 2091 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Naked Pictures of Children on FB
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
I have noticed a lot of people recently posting pictures of their child(ren) in the bath or otherwise naked on Facebook.  I don't like this idea at all, something about it just doesn't sit well with me.  I just think it's courting trouble.  It's not OK to post pictures of adults naked, so why should kids be any different?

I think DS looks adorably cute in the bath, but just because i do, doesn't mean everyone else will do. And then there's the element of encouraging unsavoury attention...

I ignore these pics and would not say anything to friends of mine who post them.  But I wouldn't post them myself.  Where do you stand on this?
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Naked Pictures of Children on FB
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »
It depends on the photo. There is a difference between a naked baby covered with bubbles and a naked baby full frontal or something.

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »
If you don't see more than you would when a baby was playing around in nothing but a diaper, I have zero problem with it. Most babies I've known have spent a lot of their lives minimally dressed, and there's nothing perverse or inappropriate about it.

I have an acquaintance who loves to post pictures of her rapidly growing kiddo's backside. It was sort of cute once, when he was younger than 3, but now that he's 4+ it's just ... odd. And every single time, it gets pulled off FB anyway (there's a way to report nudity), so even though I'm not reporting it, it's clear that someone has a problem with it.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
If I only posted pictures when they were fully dressed, I'd never post pictures! We live in a hot and humid climate, and try not to spend billions on air conditioning, so they mostly run around in diapers or undies/shorts. My privacy is locked down on FB, so absolutely only friends can see the pictures, and no one in my circles would share my pictures. Well, my grandfather might, but those have usually only been pictures where we were all dressed up anyway, or when they were teeny tiny babies, so it doesn't bother me. But as long as they are little, I don't see anything wrong with it. Like so many things, there is a fine line.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
Examples are:

In the bath (although there are bubbles, part of the baby's er anatomy are clearly on show.  I wouldn't feel comfy posting pictures of my DS like that, although I know from speaking to MIL that she has no problem with that sort of picture and finds it cute.  My own mother is very, very cautious about what goes on FB, too much so IMO so it can go either way!

A friend posted a picture of her DD, wearing nothing but her knickers (she was older than 3 at the time), which I found...odd. Yes, it was hot, yes it was summer and yes, DD was possibly far more comfortable wearing nothing than she would have been wearing clothes. But IMO that is for them to decide behind closed doors and I just personally wouldn't do it.

I have posted 1 photo of DS when he was in the bath, aged about 6 months old, it was his first "proper bath" with loads of bubbles etc and really all you could see was his face.  I dilly-dallied for ages as to whether or not to post it at all and when I did, I was paranoid someone would complain and get it taken down, innocent though it was. 

IDK maybe I am being a little over paranoid!

(We are in the UK, and it is not usually anywhere near hot enough to want to run around with no clothes on! When it is, it is something to shout about, which is probably why we Brits talk so much about the weather!)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TriCrazy73

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:31 PM »
It depends on the photo. There is a difference between a naked baby covered with bubbles and a naked baby full frontal or something.
This.  Nekkid babies are adorable!  My middle daughter was almost impossible to keep clothed when she was tiny...she took everything off.
I would never post pictures with their private parts showing, but otherwise, no issue here.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
I think different people have different opinions on appropriate clothing for children so we can't judge other's actions by our standards, only control our own actions by our standards.

I still remember my first experience with this. I was about 6 years old and at a public pool. A mom came with her 3 yr old DD. The little girl only had on swim bottoms which I found shocking as I had never seen a female child in public without a shirt on. I so bothered by it I asked my mom to take us home as I couldn't believe a mom would willing allow her child to be in public undressed.

In my opinion, if I wouldn't let me child run around dressed like that at a public pool/park then it's not appropriate to put on facebook. But there are some groups/cultures who are much more comfortable with child "nudity" than others. I just don't happen to be one but I know I'm probably in the minority. 

(I didn't allow my babies to go out with just a shirt and diaper on either.)