Author Topic: Like, Share, Help Me with My Newest Business...  (Read 4542 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Like, Share, Help Me with My Newest Business...
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
Me too!! I have one friend whose normal posts I really enjoy, but she's trying to start up a jewelry business and "marketing" the crud out of it. Like multiple posts every day for the past month. She asked everyone to "like" and "share" her business page. I didn't, because I don't wear jewelry. I thought I was safe but no. What she does is make a post on her business page and then share it via her normal page, so her friends who didn't "like" the business page still see it. She's even tagged me a couple of times, which I removed.

I've been so tempted to unsubscribe from her but I really do enjoy her normal posts, she's a sweet and funny lady, so for now I just deal with it. When I'm The Boss of Everything people will have to make their business its own page and keep the two separate!

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
LawGeek, I don't think you're over-reacting.  It sounds like he's getting more and more pushy with his 'requests' for money.  I'd be fuming, in your situation.

Do you have the kind of friendship where you can be flat out honest with him?  Can you tell him not to tag you in these photos?  If he tags you again in one of his photos asking for help, I'd honestly consider defriending him on facebook.  You're not damaging the friendship - *he* is by thinking he's got the right to post again and again asking you for money.  Is there anything else left to your friendship or is this all he contacts you for?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »
I think it's rude to tag someone in a photo that they have no interest in. I think it's OK to tag someone in a phone *of* them (if they don't want you to do that, i think the onus i on them to change their settings so that no one can tag them without them approving it after the fact, or so that no one can tag them, period).

i also don't think it's rude to tag someone in a photo (or post) of something they have a genuine interest in (like, you tag Grandpa in a photo of the grandkids; or you tag your makeup friend in a post about some makeup trend).

But money solicitations? That's out of line.

I'm not sure I'd say anything; I'd just fix it so he can't see you or tag you on Facebook, and either hide his feed or defriend him.

FYI, your friends who saw that in your newsfeed won't be blaming you for it. We all have experience w/ pushy people asking for money.

For the OP--ignore the "junk mail" requests like this, and feel free to hide their business page, etc.
   If they ask you directly, you can say, "I don't do business or marketing stuff on Facebook; I only use it for personal things."

LawGeek

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
It's actually not possible to prevent people from tagging you in a photo.  The only recourse is to find it after the fact and remove it.  Therefore, the onus can never be on the person being tagged to prevent it.

In this case, the entity that did it was the movie's page, which I have not liked or friended, and I cannot block. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
You can change settings so you have to approve any tags of yourself in a photo before they are made public, but that doesn't protect you from being tagged in a post.

LawGeek

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
It's the other way around. I have it set so I must approve tagged posts, but I spent all morning trying to figure out how I got tagged in a photo without consent.  Only to learn there is no way to prevent it.

"Timeline Review controls whether you have to manually approve posts you're tagged in before they go on your timeline. When you have a post to review, just click Timeline Review on the left hand side of your Activity Log." 

Also see: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/prevent-facebook-tagging/

Honestly, I wouldn't be this annoyed if I was able to prevent this from happening again.  I looked, and looked, and looked.  I can untag myself.  I can stop things I am tagged in from showing up in my *own* timeline.  But there is no way to stop other people from tagging you.

Getting you guys to believe I know what I am talking about is now almost as frustrating as being used as a fundraising pawn. Sigh.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:25:17 PM by LawGeek »

cross_patch

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
It's the other way around. I have it set so I must approve tagged posts, but I spent all morning trying to figure out how I got tagged in a photo without consent.  Only to learn there is no way to prevent it.

"Timeline Review controls whether you have to manually approve posts you're tagged in before they go on your timeline. When you have a post to review, just click Timeline Review on the left hand side of your Activity Log." 

Also see: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/prevent-facebook-tagging/

Honestly, I wouldn't be this annoyed if I was able to prevent this from happening again.  I looked, and looked, and looked.  I can untag myself.  I can stop things I am tagged in from showing up in my *own* timeline.  But there is no way to stop other people from tagging you.

Getting you guys to believe I know what I am talking about is now almost as frustrating as being used as a fundraising pawn. Sigh.

I think people are just trying to help, this is a bit petulant.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
Facebook privacy settings change pretty constantly, so it's easy to get confused, or think you can or can't do something incorrectly.

I agree that this guy has stepped over the line. He's tagging you in photos in which you do not appear, specifically as a marketing tool, so it will show up in your feed, correct?  If you haven't, I'd send him a message telling him point blank that you do not want to be tagged in his advertisements, and see what happens. If you have told him this, or he doesn't listen, then I think I'd go with blocking him. I'd also be tempted to tell him that if he keeps doing this, I'd lose interest in helping him with his business.

Eden

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
I have no issue with people posting about their businesses as long as it's completely passive (no tagging, PMs, etc) and as long as that's not all they post about (which is true about pretty much any subject on FB. I can only see so many posts about your kid/hobby/etc).

My husband started a business recently and I shared their FB page on my own asking friends to like their page and keep him in mind if they or anyone they know should need the service he offers. Many people did. I am not offended by those who did not and I think most of my FB friends know me well enough to know I would not be offended. I have not approached anyone individually. I do sometimes share the business posts on my own page, but not all of them and it's not all I post about on my page.

MurPl1

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »
I have gotten to where I've hidden essentially all of those business pages I've liked because I don't the daily solicitation.  or worse - 10 pics/posts in a row once a week.  Totally clutters my feed.

And I've gotten to where I've hidden some friends who have essentially two business pages because they cross-post everything.  Honestly, I find it very sad that they've let their entire identity become that business and now the posts of kids at dance recital or updates on the new puppy are lost among a ton of motivational pics and sales pitches.

Aquamarine

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
"Sorry, but this isn't what I use FB for."  If they don't catch on then block them.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
My opinion is that it's fine if someone wants to use FB to advertise for a business.  I have liked some of the business pages and not others...depending on how willing I am to see whatever the business posts on my timeline. 

I would not be ok for a friend to actually ask me why I haven't like, donated, or purchased anything.  I think this is rude.  It's fine for them to use the forum to advertise, IMO, but they shouldn't be pressuring friends into contributing.  I have never had someone come out and ask me directly for a reason for not giving them money or purchasing a product, but if I were to get such a request, I think I'd say something like "I'm not interested in that right now.  Good luck with your endeavor."  If they don't leave it at that, then they will no longer be part of my FB experience.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
My friend who has the three side businesses just added a fourth.

So now she posts daily about: her waitress job, her lingerie business, her diet supplement business and now a tattoo after-care product business. One post per week about her personal life.

I unfollowed her again.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
It really depends on how they do it.  My friend Beth posted around six months ago 'Hey guys, I'm selling Avon now, send me a note if you want a catalog or to place an order, here is my webpage.' and as near as I can tell, that's the only post she's made about her business.  Another friend of mine posted a while back that he was now doing freelance graphic arts, and occasionally posts something he did that he is particularly proud of, but otherwise, no further advertising.  Another friend is a seamstress and does about the same - occasionally posts a picture of something she thinks turned out better than expected or that was particularly complex - but no 'marketing' via facebook. 

With another individual, all she ever posted was 'I'm selling X, buy from me, earn $$$$$ by being my downline.  I defriended her and moved on.

When it comes to people in the middle ground, I usually just hide the feed or add them to a group that doesn't invade my feed often.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »
^That is the way I would prefer, your first example.

My friend constantly vaguebooks about how she knows about this great opportunity for everyone. And then will make some pitch for them to get a $100 gift basket for helping with one show.