Author Topic: LinkedIn and rudeness  (Read 2721 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
LinkedIn and rudeness
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »
I ran across this story today, and in the middle of it, there's an etiquette issue.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2014/01/21/how-linkedin-is-thwarting-your-job-search/

Sort of similar to including registry info in a wedding invite.

With its simple, well-intentioned emails and activity feed messages, LinkedIn, an enterprise thatís all about professionalism, is in fact doing something quite unprofessional. While I would definitely want to notify my network about a new position, I would never send a note to my network asking members to congratulate me. That would be both awkward and sophomoric.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: LinkedIn and rudeness
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
I ran into this a while ago. I corrected my job title and got tons of "Congratulations" messages. So I guess the procedure is to 1) Disable all notifications; 2) Update the profile; 3) Re-enable notifications.

There are days when I really, really hate computers!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
The etiquette point I thought was interesting was that LinkedIn sends out the "congratulate her!" email. Which is like asking for a pat on the back.

meronym

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
The etiquette point I thought was interesting was that LinkedIn sends out the "congratulate her!" email. Which is like asking for a pat on the back.

Wouldn't this be more like a friend telling people to congratulate you? Like "Hey, Margaret got a new job - thought you guys might want to say congrats!"

Coley

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »
I ran into this a while ago. I corrected my job title and got tons of "Congratulations" messages. So I guess the procedure is to 1) Disable all notifications; 2) Update the profile; 3) Re-enable notifications.

There are days when I really, really hate computers!

That's what I was thinking. There must be a way to beat that algorithm. I get those "send congratulations" notifications occasionally for people whose jobs I know haven't changed. Now I know why!

To the OP's question, since it's LinkedIn that's sending the notifications, I don't hold the person responsible for that. I know the notifications can be disabled, but I don't view it the same as the person asking directly for recognition.

I'd like it more if LinkedIn changed the notification text from "Congratulate X!" to "X's job title changed." Then it's more informational and not so much a "command" for recognition.

melicious

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:40 PM »
To the OP's question, since it's LinkedIn that's sending the notifications, I don't hold the person responsible for that. I know the notifications can be disabled, but I don't view it the same as the person asking directly for recognition.

Same here. I don't even think some users are even aware of this. It's not a matter of asking for a pat on the back, it's simply a matter of changing your settings when it comes to updating your profile. Kind of like on Facebook when you enter your birthdate; it's going to inform your "friends" that it's your birthday, unless you disable that setting.

Alias

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »
Those notifications are awful. A friend got laid off from a job and updated the details of the old job in Linkedin.  He got lots of 'congratulations' from people who didn't realise. What a way to kick a man when he's down!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
This happened to someone in my office just now! She added her current job, and people she's linked to here at the office told her congrats--they knew it was an updating, and they were teasing her.

But of course, if she had updated because she was starting a job hunt, her cover is blown.