Author Topic: Spicing up cupcakes... help needed!  (Read 617 times)

Mrs S

Spicing up cupcakes... help needed!
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:16:45 AM »
Hi,
So i am not a bad baker i just have learnt everything by trial and error and am thinking of doing something that may be good or really, really bad. And i need some ppl who know more to either tell me how to do it proper or just dont go there.

So a friend and i are going to have a joint 30th birthday party and I was thinking about making the cake for it.

i had this idea of getting some cupcake mix and putting some Jack Daniels in the mix and the frosting. Also doing the same with some vanilla flavour but with some liquor. I was going to have the chocolate cupcakes to make a 3 and the vanilla to make the 0. I would then  have normal cupcake around and inbetween for the non drinkers.

Is this possible or could this be a distaster? Or dose someone have a tip for me?

TIA

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Spicing up cupcakes... help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:27:22 AM »
personally - i wouldn't. but i'm not big on the booze, to be honest, and i'm not wild about alcohol-infused cakes anyway. I would just make cupcakes you know and love (and i would make 'em from scratch, not a mix), go wild on the frosting and decorations and serve with a side of shots, irish coffee, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fritokal

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:36:37 AM »
Hi,
So i am not a bad baker i just have learnt everything by trial and error and am thinking of doing something that may be good or really, really bad. And i need some ppl who know more to either tell me how to do it proper or just dont go there.

So a friend and i are going to have a joint 30th birthday party and I was thinking about making the cake for it.

i had this idea of getting some cupcake mix and putting some Jack Daniels in the mix and the frosting. Also doing the same with some vanilla flavour but with some liquor. I was going to have the chocolate cupcakes to make a 3 and the vanilla to make the 0. I would then  have normal cupcake around and inbetween for the non drinkers.

Is this possible or could this be a distaster? Or dose someone have a tip for me?

TIA

Yes, that will probably work but replace only SOME of the water for the cake mix with the alcohol. (they also won't be that alcoholic, a lot of it will bake off)

For frosting, do it in very small amounts at a time,  because it will change the thickness of the frosting.

If you are feeling really creative, mix some JD with caramel sauce, heat it up so it's soft. use a fork to poke holes in the cupcakes and let the caramel soak into the cake. (and then let them cool considerably, otherwise they are messsssy)

However - your best bet? google "Jack Daniels' cupcakes - a quick search shows a lot of recipes, and from-scratch isn't so much harder than from a box and you'll have a LOT more optons.  You can also look for other alcohols - Guinness works well in chocolate cake, bourbon and caramel go well together, any of the fruit liquers go well with vanilla cake, many go well with chocolate!

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
That's what I was going to suggest. Google a recipe instead of trying to add it to a cake mix where the results will be unpredictable.

I recently made a powdered sugar pound cake. The recipe sounded so good but it didn't call for any icing and I thought that though the cake really sounded good, it probably needed something extra. So I made a powdered sugar glaze for it by combining powdered sugar and amaretto, and pouring it over the cake after it came out of the oven. It was delicious and it gave the cake just a nice little hint of alcohol while not overpowering it.*

*Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong. I do love an alcohol-overpowered cake. Rum cake with a ton of rum? Oh yeah baby!  >:D But sometimes just a hint is sufficient.  ;D

Mrs S

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 03:17:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

i ususaly like my cupcakes normal but I thought for this special night i might change it up a bit.

I might just make it from scratch but I will make the normal ones out of the mixes I already have this weekend and freeze them. Then try the other next weekend which is the party weekend.

As you can see i am just a bit excited to celebrate my 30th!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »
I just saw this and thought of you ad your spiked cake idea

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cross_patch

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
The brown eyed baker has some awesome cupcake recipes incorporating liquor if you are looking for some- I think it's a cute idea for your 30th!

http://www.browneyedbaker.com

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »
One way to jazz up -any- kind of cake is to brush it with a flavored syrup after it is baked and completely cool, and before you frost it.

Pro bakers do this all the time.

You could just brush it with the whiskey, which would be very alcoholic. But if you have  way to differentiate them ("the cupcakes in the numbers are alcoholic" seems sensible), and you have grownups, you're good, I think. If you decide you like it.

Or you could make a simple syrup with the whiskey. Read some of the comments here.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-can-i-make-a-jack-daniels-108358

I might suggest not having the whiskey in both frosting -and- cake--might be a bit much.

crella

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 03:23:55 AM »
Or you could make a simple syrup with the whiskey.

Amaretto or fruit liqueurs work well too, with the syrup. In a pinch I used maple syrup once and it was very nice too.

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »
I make boozy cupcakes all the time. They're always a hit.

The PPs have nailed itů replace some but not all of the water with whiskey. I'd go for about a quarter of a cup or so. Easy does it with booze on the icing. I suggest spiking the milk (if you use the adding powdered sugar and milk alternately technique) and then adding a bit more at the end in lieu of flavor extract.

You can also make Jack and Coke cupcakes by using Coke instead of the water (it will fizz alarmingly when it hits the batter, but the taste is pretty subtle).

Spice cake mix is also pretty good with the whiskey flavor. I did a whiskey spice cake with a tart lemon-lime frosting and it was yummy.