Wedding Bliss and Blues > Paper Trail

Invitation Wording

<< < (2/5) > >>

TootsNYC:
I really don't like "are delighted to invite you" or even "are pleased to invite you"

You'll be pleased when they attend; being pleased that you are inviting them just hits me wrong, it feels sort of self-satisfied, "I'm so happy I invited you" vs. "I'm so happy you are here at the actual event."
  I think that's why "pleasure of your company" is the term--the pleasure doesn't being until you are IN their company.

but that may be a very individual reaction.

I vote for plain-Jane wording and funky fonts.

"invite you to witness their vows" "invite you to attend their wedding"

But I like "pleasure of you company" bcs it really says, "we very much want you there, we'll be happy if you come" instead of "you can come if you want" (which is what "invite" can mean, sometimes).

greencat:

--- Quote from: GlitterIsMyDrug on March 13, 2014, 05:06:26 PM ---I'm betting you all might have some ideas here, because we're scratching our heads and coming up blank.  So far our wedding invitation reads:

Glitter and Partner
Along with their families

And that's it. So far we've thought of:
Wish to invite you
Are pleased to invite you
Wound enjoy your attendance at

To segue into the next bit of we're getting hitched at this time at this place on this date. It's not super formal wedding, we're open to something more fun/funky. In fact we'd welcome it! But we're drawing blanks. The main points we want are our names (obviously) and families. We aren't in love with the idea of listing out our moms' names because we want to give a nod to our entire families (including our very close friends) who have been helping with the wedding.

So, e-hellions, any ideas?

--- End quote ---

If your families are not "hosting" i.e., paying for, the celebration, it should only say "Glitter and Partner"

Then for the rest of it:
"Invite you to celebrate our marriage with us at" - if you're just doing a reception without a ceremony
"Invite you to attend our affirmation of vows and wedding reception" - if you're also repeating the vows, as I know you got married where it was legal, but I'm guessing this is back in your home state?

Maude:
Friend A!
COME CELEBRATE
the union of
Glitter and Partner!

There will be a (party, shindig, knees-up, ) with family and friends
at(place)
on(date)
from(time) until late.

lowspark:
I just googled "wedding invitation wording" images to get some ideas. I really liked this one which sort of covers the fact that you were legally married already but are doing the celebration now.

GlitterIsMyDrug:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on March 13, 2014, 06:16:02 PM ---request the pleasure of your company at...

is the classic ("honor of your presence" is usu. reserved for religious ceremonies, but that's probably negotiable)

--- End quote ---

Oh, I do like request the pleasure of your company. Honor of your presence seems a little too...formal or something.

--- Quote from: EllenS on March 13, 2014, 09:58:17 PM ---I'd go classic on the wording "request the pleasure of your company" and funky on the design/color/typeface. It's easy to lose clear communication if you try to be too cute.  Everybody knows the form and what it means.
--- End quote ---

Excellent point, I don't want to cause mass confusion of "What's happening? What are they doing now?", resulting in lots of phone calls.

--- Quote from: Oh Joy on March 13, 2014, 09:12:39 PM ---Hmmm...I suppose part of it depends what you're calling this event.  She surprised you with a legal wedding a few weeks ago when you were visiting your uncle...or am I mixing you up with another poster?

--- End quote ---

That is us, but we are still calling this our wedding. I know it's complicated and non-traditional. But that was our "we have to do this for it be legal" wedding, this is our "real" wedding. Since we couldn't have both in the same place legally. We just a bit extra with the legal one because my great uncle was there.

--- Quote from: Maude on March 14, 2014, 07:51:50 AM ---Friend A!
COME CELEBRATE
the union of
Glitter and Partner!

There will be a (party, shindig, knees-up, ) with family and friends
at(place)
on(date)
from(time) until late.

--- End quote ---

Oh that's fun! I like that!

--- Quote from: greencat on March 14, 2014, 01:35:54 AM ---If your families are not "hosting" i.e., paying for, the celebration, it should only say "Glitter and Partner"

Then for the rest of it:
"Invite you to celebrate our marriage with us at" - if you're just doing a reception without a ceremony
"Invite you to attend our affirmation of vows and wedding reception" - if you're also repeating the vows, as I know you got married where it was legal, but I'm guessing this is back in your home state?

--- End quote ---

Our families are helping us with the wedding, we are footing the majority of the bill, but it's still important to us that we acknowledge them on the invitation as they have been (and are continuing to be) a huge help.

We will be having a whole ceremony, but not with the same vows. We used the traditional "do you take this woman" vows the first time (think we printed them off the internet) this time will be vows we write ourselves. So not really a repeating...rephrasing maybe? This is in our home state, yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version