Author Topic: Maple syrup pie  (Read 476 times)

Coralreef

Maple syrup pie
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »
Ingredients for a 9.5 inches pie (deep one). 

Cook the bottom crust and wait for it to cool.  Crust must be golden.

125 ml butter
125 ml flour
125 ml milk
155 ml 35% cream
375 ml maple syrup

Preparation :

In a pan with a thick bottom melt butter on low
Add flour slowly with a whip and cook 3 to 5 minutes (get a reddish colour)
Add the milk and the cream slowly, without stopping mixing. The reddish colour must disappear and the mix will thicken
Add the maple syrup and cook / continue mixing for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick
Let cool about 15 minutes
Put mixture in crust(s)
Refrigerate for at least one hour, lettting the whole thing settle and become firm.

[/right

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Maple syrup pie
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Mine is similar:

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups maple syrup
1 1/2 cups hot water
3 egg yolks

Meringue:
3 egg whites
2 tbsp sugar

Melt butter in a saucepan.  Stir in the flour slowly.  Add the maple syrup and the hot water and stir over medium heat until thick.  Reduce to low heat and add egg yolks.  Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.  Pour into a baked pie shell and cover with meringue.  Bake at 400 F until lightly browned.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
Wow. Interesting recipes! I wonder if it would work in a graham cracker crust or if that would be too much. It sounds like it's going to come out delicious. I'm going to give it a try sometime. (I don't bake desserts unless I have a reason, i.e. there is someone to eat it. Otherwise *I* eat too much of it and that is not a good idea.)

Outdoor Girl, your pie is only going in the oven to brown the meringue, right? I mean, the filling is pretty much cooked just like Coralreef's before it goes in the oven, yes?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:05 AM »
Yes, the oven is only for browning the meringue.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Coralreef

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
I think a graham cracker crust would be too much and the honey taste would compete with the maple sugar.  IMHO, a plain crust would be best as it gives a bit of a contrast. 

I don't put meringue on my pies (bad (and funny) childhood memory) but my mother used to put some strips of dough on top of her sugar pies.  The filling was not cooked for her recipe, so the pies had to stand in the oven for a while.

[/right

Elisabunny

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
It sounds a lot like shoo-fly pie, only with maple syrup instead of molasses.  Which I would prefer.  :)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...