News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 07, 2016, 10:49:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird scents you enjoy  (Read 4730 times)

Bijou

Re: Weird scents you enjoy
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
I don't think mine are particularly odd or unusual but they sure do take me back to another place and time...

Old Spice men's aftershave.  In the 60's when I was carousing around the party scene that was a popular scent.  I love men with aftershave on.  Unfortunately my husband wouldn't even think of wearing anything like that. 

The smell of Jergen's hand lotion reminds me of my beautiful aunts when I was a kid. 

I love the smell of the ocean on a foggy day. 

Cantaloupe...sometimes the fragrance of an early sunny morning makes me almost taste the cantaloupe we used to eat for breakfast at the fire pit at our summer camp, when my dad worked in the woods. 

I love the smell of a wood fire in the morning or the evening.  We go to this place on one of the docks at the river where they have a fire pit.  To just to sit and inhale that fragrance is so relaxing.

There is a plant or tree my dad called grease wood and it smells like salami and cheese on soda crackers.  You can smell it when you are driving through the woods sometimes on a hot day.  I love it!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowfire

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »
Love the smell of anything horse related. Leather, hay, just all around horse! Cats, I snorgle mine just for the warm kitty smell. Fresh cut lumber, turpentine, coffee (love the smell, hate the taste).

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2015, 07:51:42 PM »
The scent of a lemon scented gum after rain, or on a really hot day. The leaves release the oil and it's just divine.

This is possibly a bit icky to anyone else, but here goes: the scent of my husband after he's been chain sawing. He almost never does it anymore, unfortunately, but when he does the combination of sweat and sawdust is incredibly delicious.

Passionfruit, so tangy and fresh - delicious to eat too.

Cakes baking

Victoria

doodlemor

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
I just love the smell of a library.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »
I just love the smell of a library.

I just don't see this as an odd scent at all  8) - it's one of my favorites, too!  >:D  Even Evil & Snarky quiet down in a library - they want to immerse themselves in a book and carry home five or six...so it's a time to quietly look for books.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »
I love the smell of cat breath. Not when it smells of cat food, but when it smells of cat breath the way people breath can smell like people.

I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »
Not so weird ones:

Fresh cut grass
Hay fields
Sawdust
New books
My BF's Old Spice anti-perspirent

Weirder ones:

Burnt matches
Skunk
Free range cattle or horse farms.  Chicken or pig farms?  Not so much.

Unfortunately, as I approach menopause, I'm becoming more and more scent sensitive and can't take stronger smells any more.  Though most of the ones that really affect me are artificial, rather than natural, scents.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
There's a certain smell to the old, analogue telephone switching offices. You could blindfold me and walk me into one of them and I'd know exactly what type of room I was in. I love that smell.

I also love that metallic/greasy/gasoline smell that gets all over a person when they are working on cars.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »
The smell of bus exhaust:  reminds me of the first time ever my family took a Big Bus on a day trip to the 1964 World's Fair. 

Gasoline:  stopping at the pumps during vacations.

Cigars and pipe smoke:  Grampa, is that YOU?

There is a rusty metallic tang to the first spring rains around here and it reminds me of my youth.

And the smell of new paint--yes!  A new and hopefully exciting fresh start.

I bet a lot of folks here are old enough to remember waiting patiently for the teacher to hand out mimeograph sheets and then grabbing the paper to breathe deep.  Loved those things!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
I remember, as a young teenager, going to an old fashioned print shop that one of my mother's uncles worked at.  Back around 1969 or so when they still used lead type (and this place melted it down to recast the lead for the next print job).

I remember sniffing the combination of hot metal presses, fresh ink, and different types of paper being heated as it went through the presses...and then going through a newspaper printing room about 1974 and sniffing deeply to get that "ink, paper, and hot machinery" smell. 

It was different than older books in a library - but it still smelled good to me...I just hadn't thought about it in decades...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
Burnt matches, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, rubber cement, Elmer's School Paste, gasoline, and mothballs.  My brother, who was just reading over my shoulder, chimed in that he likes the smell of his own farts.  I fear that he's alone there.  ::)

Moonie

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »
My cousin had a dairy farm. I loved the smell of the milking barn. The scent of warm milk, cow, and hay mixed together makes me feel cozy.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2015, 06:03:13 PM »
An infant or toddler. Not just freshly bathed, but I love the smell of babies overall. I am an honorary aunt, so get my share of baby sniffing.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Bobbie

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:48 PM »
An infant or toddler. Not just freshly bathed, but I love the smell of babies overall. I am an honorary aunt, so get my share of baby sniffing.

Reminds me of Claire from the show Modern Family rubbing baby Joey all over :)