Author Topic: Things I miss about the 80's  (Read 4786 times)

MsCopper

Re: Things I miss about the 80's
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Big gigantic aqua net hair.. Clothes from Merry go round. And Heavy Metal guys...  8)

You are my soul-sister!!!  Love all this stuff!!  (I also miss being super-skinny! ha ha) And the concerts...don't forget the shows!

Yes! so many great shows.. Oh, and how could I forget headbangers ball.  *sigh* and skinny. lol
"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday"

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
The scratch and sniff stickers still worked!

I kept my sticker albums from age 10 until last year when I peeled off my favourites, photographed each page then threw them out.  I was amazed and also grossed out that the scratch 'n sniffs still worked after 30 years.  What the heck am I inhaling??  ;D

SoCalVal

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
I found my 80's sticker collection. I put them in photo albums. The scratch and sniff stickers still worked! I have to say though, Garfield lasagna stickers never smelled remotely like anything I'd want to eat. :)

I think I did have one photo album with very few sheets of stickers.  I admit that I still want the stickers from the 80s -- puffy stickers, scratch-an-sniff stickers, googly-eye stickers, Smurf stickers, Garfield stickers.  I remember seeing an ad for a kids' activity toy for make-your-own stickers.  I really wanted it for my birthday, but, when Mom took me to the store to get it, we couldn't find it anywhere in the store so I was sorely disappointed.

I miss 80s stuffed animals.  DH is making up for it by often getting me them (one Christmas, he got me a bunch of Country Yumkins Christmas ornaments).  He's also gotten me a Papa Smurf and a unicorn.  I still want a Boy Snoopy, an E.T. (to replace the one that disappeared), a Garfield and a preppy alligator.

poundcake

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
You know what I miss the most?

The innocence. The feeling of having the whole world stretched out before you; the endless possibilities. The shear joy of living. The time before life became hectic, painful, almost scary, grown-up. 

This. This is what I miss the most.

I miss this too but, in my case, it's the late 1960s and early 1970s that I miss.

As much as l love many things about the 80s, I don't miss the scariness of that time: nuclear war, AIDS, poisoned Tylenol, fears that "experts" had us all jacked up about with "backmasking" and Dungeons & Dragons and kidnappings a la Adam Walsh, toxic shock syndrome. If you used a tampon wrong, you could die! If you played video games too much, you could die! If you go trick-or-treating and someone has injected your mini-Snickers with poison, you could die! If one country's president pressed one button, we will ALL die! Childhood in the 80s wasn't any sort of idyllic good time for a lot of us.

This is why punk was awesome.

Coley

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
This just in! "Watch the Youth of Today Struggle to Figure Out How to Work a Sony Walkman": http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-youth-today-struggle-figure-out-how-work-son-203421

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
^ My mom still has one. She won't put music on her iPhone and keeps carrying around a disk Walkman.

I laugh every time I see the music player on my smart phone/tablet, it is Walkman.  ;D