News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 02, 2015, 12:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So, I want to buy a small SUV.  (Read 859 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: So, I want to buy a small SUV.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
My Dad just bought a CRV and loves it. It's perfect for him as he likes to drive around the state visiting all of the state parks here.

A word about the Kia...I wouldn't drive it on a long trip if I didn't have to. I have heard a lot of negative about them and also have heard that their safety rating is not so great.

Personally I am a Subaru fan so I'd go in that direction, but that's my biased opinion.  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:22 PM »
I have my mom's old 1998 Rav4.  273,800 miles on it!  Going very strong still.  I'd like a newer version, to get the better gas mileage available nowadays, but I do love my little old car.
Newly widowed, fairly cranky, prone to crying at the drop of a hat.  Newly a MIL; not yet a Grandma.  Keeper of chickens and dispenser of eggs! ;D  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
DH&I bought a 2012 Nissan Rouge in the Fall 2011, new. It's great for long distance driving, has a really smooth ride. I get about 25 mpg.

It seats 4 super comfortably, 5 is crowded. It is possible for 3 kids to be strapped into 2 medium kid sized booster seats, and a bigger kid's booster seat in the back seat. (Being very particularly cool, calm, and collected that day helps a lot)

TracyXJ

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 07:19:09 AM »
Thank you everyone.  Now I have even more questions.  I'm moving to Texas, right now I am flatland Florida.  Right now I am driving a 2006 Kia Spectra.  It is a good little car.  Should I drive it to Texas and buy a new car there?

It might be a better idea unless you have enough time to get the car checked out thoroughly by your mechanic (if you buy used).  It would be terrible to buy a new to you car and have it break down half way to Texas. 

I had a '08 Escape and loved it.  The seats weren't the most luxurious, but I had the base model.  The only complaint we had was the back window rattled really bad.

ETA:  It made the trip from South Carolina to Texas in June while hauling a 4x8 Uhaul when I'd only had it for a week.  But it was brand new and I had my dad with me, so I wasn't too worried about breakdowns.  It also made the round trip to from Texas to SC and back without my DH wanting to rip out the seats (he's about 6'-4" and 300lb), so not too bad.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:21:59 AM by TracyXJ »

FauxFoodist

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »
I have a RAV4 that's almost 20 years old and has been working perfectly fine.  When I get another vehicle, I might get another RAV4 or get a CRV.  The RAV4 is exactly the size I need, but as far as SUVs go, it *is* really small.  I don't have to worry about gas usage (we use it as our regular vehicle as DH's truck is really big in comparison and uses a lot of gas), but it is too small to carry around a lot of stuff.  When DH and I went on vacation this summer for the first time with the dog, the car was pretty packed (I still wouldn't get a bigger SUV though, unless we needed one for everyday use; if we had children, we'd need to get a bigger SUV).

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
Check out Consumer Reports magazine for ratings...you can go to your local library and look up the April issue which is the car issue. It will help you know which ones are reliable.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
We've got a 2005 Ford Escape that we like. Enough that I was looking to replace my 1999 Explorer with one. Sadly, Ford stopped making the hybrid Escape a couple of years ago and I would like to replace with a hybrid. On a vacation about 6 years ago we rented an Escape in Seattle and drove down to Los Angeles. Admittedly, the boys were young (11 & 12) but they seemed fine in the back seat. It held luggage for all 4 of us with no trouble.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

katiescarlett

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »
Don't buy a Jeep Compass.  I drive a 2012, and while I love it, I swear the thing bleeds gas.  It has terrible gas mileage and also only has a 13 gallon tank, so I fill up every 4 or 5 days.

That being said, I am also looking for a small SUV, but one that is more gas efficient.  I realize it would be smarter to just buy a car with good mpg, but I would prefer to stay with an SUV.

Zizi-K

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
It's not exactly an SUV, but I absolutely adore my Ford Edge. I bought one in 2007 or 8, and it's still going strong! My sister bought one a couple of years ago, she liked mine so much, and the interior updates since then are awesome. Seats 5, and has a very generous hatchback trunk area.

deadbody

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 10:34:52 AM »
Check sales tax rates in Florida and texas.  Buy in the lower one if they are very different. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »
I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue and I am in LOVE with it. It had the smart key, AWD, tons of space and great features. I average 28mpg combined city/highway. I commute 50 miles/day and the 4cyl engine had plenty of power for highway driving, and there is also an eco mode if you want to limit power to stretch your gas mileage. It's a super comfortable ride.

The cargo area is superb. On the bottom is a waterproof liner, covered with carpeted dividers. I can set one divider upright to create a space the perfect size for a week's worth of groceries. The dividers can also be moved up to cover the cargo area if you don't want your cargo to be seen.

The 2013 and older models are not nearly as good, imo - less roomy and lower fuel economy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:17:12 AM by CakeBeret »
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

MOM21SON

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Check sales tax rates in Florida and texas.  Buy in the lower one if they are very different.

From what I'm understanding, Texas has impact fees, like Florida when registering a car from a different state.  So if I buy here, I will have to pay tax here and there.  So, I guess I'm buying one there.  bummer.

lilfox

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »
Around where I live, Subarus are the way to go (Outback or Forester).  I had a 2005 CRV that was great, and my parents have had at least three models of CRVs because they've really liked them.  I like the size of them - I've driven a 4Runner and find it a bit bigger than I'm comfortable with.

FWIW I bought the CRV just a few weeks before driving cross country and it was fine.  I did buy it new so had fewer concerns than you might have with used or older model cars.

snowfire

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »
I'll second (3rd,4th?) the Subaru Outback.  Excellent safety ratings, my friend has a 2014 w/ 6 cyl. engine and he gets around 30mpg or a bit better.  The seats are comfortable front and back & good cargo space.  (Just last summer a man in an Outback was hit by a logging truck and dragged, under the trailer for over a mile.  Car was totalled, but driver lived to tell the tale.  I actually saw the car at the local dealership.)

I would personally avoid the Nissan Xterra.  It may be fine in some areas, but climbing in to the back seat requires some interesting contortions.  These are not fun at my age.

Coley

« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 07:19:56 AM »
I have a 2000 Honda CRV, and it is the best car I've ever owned. I can't say enough about its reliability. I've owned it for 11 years (bought it used in 2004), and the only significant problem it's had was a radiator leak a few years ago. I've done the routine maintenance and changed the tires, and that's all it seems to need. It was our only vehicle until last year.

We car-shopped for small SUVs last year and had nearly decided on a Subaru, but were torn between the Forester and the Outback. I was leaning toward Outback; DH was leaning toward Forester. We drove the Toyota RAV4, but it felt small to us. We also drove a Toyota Venza, which we liked, but it wasn't right for us. We looked at VW Tiguans, but they seem small for the money. Given my first paragraph, it may be surprising that we didn't buy another CRV. Here's why: Visibility. They've redesigned it so the side windows toward the back are rather small. I didn't like the reduced visibility, and we took the CRV off our list. There are so many good things to say about the CRV -- but those rear windows are a problem, IMO.

On a lark, we decided to check out the Toyota Highlander, and ultimately, that's what we bought. Not a small SUV, but it will serve us well with a high schooler, his friends, and a lot of band equipment.

If a smaller SUV were the priority, I'd probably go with either the Subaru Forester or Outback. They're both great vehicles with some modest differences. The Toyota RAV4 would be another good choice.