Author Topic: Roommate Hell.....  (Read 23330 times)

songbird

Re: Roommate Hell.....
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
My story first, then my daughter's.

I'd had a few "winners" in college and law school, but nothing too terrible.  After I landed my first job I used a roommate referral service to find a place to live, and wound up in a two bedroom apartment with another young woman I will call Lauren.

At first Lauren and I got along well.  Three months after I moved in, Lauren had an argument with the landlady. Next thing I knew, we were served with eviction papers.  The landlady offered to rent the apartment to me after Lauren moved out, but I chose to find another apartment with Lauren.

After we moved, however . . .

I have to admit, I'm somewhat of a slob.  I tried very hard to contain the mess to my own room.  Occasionally I'd slip up and she would become very upset.  Understandable, of course.  She was terrified we would get a cockroach infestation if the place were not kept spotless.

But what she did that one time . . .

I went out of town one summer weekend.  I forgot to take out the trash before I left.  Came home and found it all piled up in the middle of my bedroom floor.  So mature.  Fortunately there were no bugs . . . Though I doubt the bugs would have stayed in my room. . .

The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, though . . .

As I said, she feared an infestation.  Wrapped all of her non perishables in plastic to keep out the bugs before placing them in the cabinets.  One day she bought a 5 pound bag of flour, wrapped it in plastic, and placed it in one of the cabinets.  Usually we kept food in the cabinets over the countertop and kept our pots and pan in the cabinets under the counter, but for some reason she put the flour in the pot cabinet.

She was away for the weekend, and I hadn't bothered to cook all weekend.  I got up Sunday morning with plans to cook breakfast for my fiance, opened up the pot cabinet and discovered that mice had been partying with Lauren's flour.  There were floury footprints and other evidence of their enjoyment on every pot and pan we owned.

So I spent my entire Sunday emptying cabinets, cleaning cabinets and washing pots and pans.   It was dinner time and I was still in my bathrobe, reorganizing the pots and pans, when she came home.

I told her what had happened, and her only comment was "Well, did you go downstairs and tell the landlord?"

When I said "no", she rolled her eyes and went downstairs.

The landlord came up with glue traps.  One mouse got caught in a trap that night, and cried all night.  Right outside Lauren's door.

I moved out about a month later.

songbird

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
Now, my daughter's story.

Freshman year and she is assigned to live in an on-campus apartment.  Nice apartment, with 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms.  It's designed for 6 students, but because housing is limited at this school, 8 freshmen girls will live in this apartment.

Because we now live in an age of Facebook and a Twitter and texting, the girls all chat before school starts, and it looks like everyone is going to get along.

Wrong.

One girl didn't make it through freshman orientation.  She started crying the moment her parents dropped her off, and didn't stop until they picked her up three days later.  I can only guess what would have happened if her parents didn't come for her.

At some point my daughter's roommate found a boyfriend.  Suddenly my daughter was getting text messages along the lines of "find a place to sleep tonight."  Usually these messages would show up on her phone around midnight, as she was headed home.

Eventually the situation deteriorated.  My daughter would be sitting at her desk doing work.  Roommate and boyfriend would be there, too. Daughter would get up to go to the bathroom or get something from the kitchen, and they would lock her out of the bedroom.

The kicker is, the boyfriend lived two floors away, and had his own bedroom, no roommate.

The other girls all got along -- with each other.  My daughter was the odd girl out.  That didn't stop them from using her stuff. 

The apartment had a single hookup for cable tv.  My daughter brought the tv, and they all shared it.  One day my daughter came home to find that someone's boyfriend had hooked up his laptop to the tv so that he could stream some show he wanted to watch.

She'd frequently find her pots, pans and dishes used and unwashed and sitting in the sink.  What drove her over the edge, though, was how one of the girls ruined a frying pan -- apparently she had no idea you can't use metal utensils on a nonstick surface, and she used a knife to cut up her food while it was still in the pan.

But the best story?

My daughter attends a Catholic university.  Many of the faculty are priests.  Some of them are housed in the same apartment building as the students.  My daughter's next-door neighbor was not only a faculty member and priest, but the Dean of Students himself.

So it came as no surprise that when one of the apartment mates decided to bake brownies with a secret herbal ingredient, she got caught.  The R.A. showed up to deal with the situation, but I suspect it's because the Dean called her.  I think the consequences would have been more severe if the Dean had to handle it himself.

My daughter was upset when the other girls told her the 6 of them wanted to live together sophomore year and she would have to find another group to live with.  They did her a favor, as it turns out.  She had a better number in the housing lottery than they did, got a nicer apartment, and wound up living with a girl who is now one of her closest friends.

gmatoy

« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
Now, my daughter's story.
My daughter was upset when the other girls told her the 6 of them wanted to live together sophomore year and she would have to find another group to live with.  They did her a favor, as it turns out.  She had a better number in the housing lottery than they did, got a nicer apartment, and wound up living with a girl who is now one of her closest friends.

Living well is the best revenge!  (I love a happy ending!)

songbird

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
Yes, and she knows it.

Can't believe that I forgot the part about her clothes.

My daughter is a fashionista. Loves clothes. Loves to shop for clothes.  And has a talent for knowing how to combine garments and accessories to create a "look".  Also very picky about how she launders the clothes.  And won't lend them out to anyone except her sister.

When she was in high school she got a job at a clothing store in the mall.  This store has an interesting ploy -- they actively recruit their customers to apply for work at the store, and one of the requirements of employment is that sales help must wear the product line while on duty.  Her entire paycheck wound up back at the store.   Consequently her freshman wardrobe contained a significant number of items from this store. 

None of her apartment mates shopped in that store.

So you can imagine her surprise when she comes home and sees one of the apartment mates in what is apparently my daughter's shirt.  She checks her closet and the shirt is missing.

So she says to the girl, "That's my shirt."

And the disingenuous reply?  "it is?  I didn't know.  I thought my sister left it here when she visited last week."

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »
When my sister went to college she became friends with someone else whose roommate went off the deep end and left after only 6 weeks. There were a bunch of things she did but the only one i remember is that one day she went into the friend's underwear drawer and cut the crotches out of all her panties.

I don't think she paid for new ones but she did leave very shortly afterwards.

ddawn23

« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
The apartment had a single hookup for cable tv.  My daughter brought the tv, and they all shared it.  One day my daughter came home to find that someone's boyfriend had hooked up his laptop to the tv so that he could stream some show he wanted to watch.
Everything else is pretty bad, but I don't understand what's wrong with this.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »

One can easily screw up a TV pretty badly if it's unscrewed wrong.  Mom and I just broke a TV due to a cable being screwed in wrong and now you can't screw any sort of cable into it at all.  Five bucks says the roommate's boyfriend wouldn't have offered to pay for said TV if it broke.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
For me, if you don't live here, you don't mess with the back of the TV, or the thermostat, or where the furniture is(the big stuff, not dining room chairs and stuff), etc.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:16:03 AM by Black Delphinium »
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

songbird

« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »

One can easily screw up a TV pretty badly if it's unscrewed wrong.  Mom and I just broke a TV due to a cable being screwed in wrong and now you can't screw any sort of cable into it at all.  Five bucks says the roommate's boyfriend wouldn't have offered to pay for said TV if it broke.

Exactly.  She knew she was sharing the tv with the roommates,.  If they were watching something she didn't want to watch, that's part of the experience.  But messing with the electronics, not so much. Fortunately nothing happened.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
I've seen too many people trip on cables that were strung across open space for "temporary" use - with horrible potential to damage the equipment and the person - depending on how & where they landed.

BAD idea - ranging all the way up to REALLY BAD idea if the connecting cable was a trip hazard.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?