Author Topic: Roommate Hell.....  (Read 24323 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Roommate Hell.....
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2014, 12:25:53 PM »
Hey, could y'all please stop using JANE as the generic bad roommate??   I was a GOOD roommate, I promise!!

I have so many stories that I could fill a book, but none of them were as bad as some of these.  I never lived on campus. I went to college part-time for 16 years, and supported myself, a car, a cat, and an apartment all through it.  I had so many roommates, all of them BAD, that I have sworn that I will live in my CAR before I EVER SHARE AGAIN.    And I hold to that.  I've lived in some incredible dives, but they were MINE and mine alone. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
LOL!!  I believe you! :)

I'll tell on my DH. He was a bad roommate in that he was a slob.  A nice guy in other ways, but a slob.  He's gotten better but he will never live down the time when he let his dishes pile up so high that his roommate put all his dirty kitchenware in a large garbage bag and dumped them on his bed while he was in the room and then she walked out.

He at least has the grace to be embarrassed about it now and has apologized to the roommate (we're still friends with her).
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »
Me, too.  I only had one roommate, and while we were much better friends when we didn't live together and were so until she passed away, we didn't do so well as roommates.  Most of this had to do with two issues in particular - her love life and her son. 

She brought home some of the dregs of humanity, and I was awakened more than once by enthusiastic Scrabble (I guess they were arguing over how to spell "prestidigitation", or something  ;D) (No, I'm not that naive) and the guy who was the supposed "love of her life" was a lying toad (LT).  To her credit, if I told her I had a real issue with someone she'd hear me out, except for anything involving LT.  She did tell the guy who had quite a bit to say about how ugly my dog was - my dog was a sheltie, not exactly champion quality, but we loved her - not to come back, and she did the same when I found that another had left drugs on our dining room table where her son could have gotten into them.  (Fortunately she eventually figured out for herself that LT was indeed a lying toad, and kicked him to the curb.) 

As for her son, he wasn't a bad kid, but he was rather smart-mouthed for being only 3.  However, once I'd been there awhile either he matured a little or I got used to him.  Possibly both.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
I had an almost-bad roommate situation, but thankfully she let something slip before I committed, so I was able to dodge that bullet. I lived at home until my late 20's. Mainly because I didn't want to share with a whole bunch of people, and also couldn't afford to live with just one or no roommates.  So when I finally got a job that paid enough to let me move out, I started looking for people who were looking for a roommate.

My mom found this one; someone who had cats, which I'm fine with and whatever else she said, it looked promising. She had actually rented the apt, and wasn't moving in for a couple of weeks, but we met, and she showed it to me. It was in the town I worked in, and while old, and a tad small, it would have worked. It was also in the downtown area, so came wiht one parking spot. She told me the rent would be $10 a month more, if I chose to have the parking spot (she gave me the option of that, or finding parking on the street). Which was fine.

So we leave, and we're just chatting outside. She first says well, I'm at my boyfriend's every weekend, so I might ask you to feed my cats, but if you can't/don't want to, I'll get someone to  come in. Now while I'd be ok with doing it every now and again, I didn't want to be obligated to do so every weekend, nor did I want someone I DON'T know coming into my apt to do that.

I don't really recall, but I want to say she told me the rent was one amount. plus the $10 parking, if I chose that. Ok, fine. it fit my budget.

However, as we're standing outside, chatting, she let it slip that the rent was actually much less, and the reason she was asking another $90 a month, was beacuse SHE had paid a broker $1100 to find the apt for her, and wanted to get that money back.  I think I managed to keep my surprise under control, but sorry, no. You did this, and now need a roommate. That's fine, but don't try and get the other person to pay for something you chose to do.  And at $90 a month, she would have had her money back in a year, so what then? I called her the next day and politely declined. Thankfully, I wasn't in any hurry to move out, and found my OWN place a few months later.

medowynd

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
My roommate from hell started my first day of my freshman year.  Debbie was the youngest of three sisters and she was attending college in Colorado.  She was accompanied by both parents and had arrived 1-2 days before me.  When I walked in, the room was already arranged for Debbie's convenience.  Her bed was lined up under the window and my bed was shoved down the wall.  The original layout had a bed on each long wall lined up with a closet and desk.  Now my desk was across the room and my bed was just inches from the closet. 

Debbie did not like my red polka dot bedspread (dating myself here) and complained that red was against her religion, some eastern religion I had never heard of (early '70's).  The large world map I planned to hang on the wall next to my bed was unsuitable subject matter, did not know why.  She just didn't like it.  Debbie proceeded to tell me all of the rules she expected me to live under.  Not going to happen.  The bedspread stayed and the map remained on the wall.

I came down with mono, the third month of school.  My roommate informed me that I needed to go home or find somewhere else to stay, because she did not want to catch it.  I went home for a few days and returned, informing her, that I was not going anywhere.  During that quarter, Debbie had acquired a boyfriend and liked to indulge in certain activities. I didn't care what she did, but don't think you can lock me out of my room.  I always took my key with me, even to the bathroom. 

So I returned to school, very weak from mono and barely able to walk to class.  I returned one evening and the door was locked, including the second lock, that had no key.  I had the door unlocked and couldn't get in.  It was after ten, I was exhausted and could barely stand.  Debbie refused to unlock the door.  I started banging and yelling for her to unlock the door.  Finally she opens the door and the boyfriend, Chip, and Debbie were sitting there half dressed and she's yelling at me.  By this time, other girls are standing in the hall watching what was going on. 

Chip escapes and I tell Debbie, that she is never to lock me out of the room again.  She didn't.  Debbie got her revenge  I went home for Thanksgiving and when I returned, she had cleaned off my desk and thrown almost everything away.  I got mad and told her to keep her hands off of my things.  Debbie slapped my face.  I dropped my voice and told her that if she ever touched me again, I would take care of her for good.  Apparently, she finally got the message.  Debbie never touched me or my things.  The RSA was happy to help me find another room and I moved in with my best friend.  Debbie remained in the room by herself for the rest of the year and returned to Pennsylvania.  I never saw her again and that would be too soon if I ever did again.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
I kind of think there may something good to say about the dorms I was in during the '60s. The grandkids cringe, but a lot of the stuff above was impossible!

Women only, no men on floor except during moving in or out days, and a couple of special weekends. Roomcheck  every Sat AM - so forced to clean our rooms at least once a week! I don't remember how we were disciplined if our rooms did not pass. It wasn't too bad: just mostly no dust & junk on the floor and desks, beds made, waste paper emptied, and closet doors closed.

I didn't like dorm hours - we had to be in by 10PM and had bedcheck.

I never had roommates outside of those 3 years in the dorm. We got married when I was a junior and Lucas and I just kind of adjusted to each other's ways.

You guys have my sympathy for all the ridiculousness you went through, but it does make great reading.  :)

YoginiSaysYes

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
One of my roommates from eHell became my best friend starting day one of our freshman year of college. We lived on the same dorm floor, had everything under the sun in common, and decided we would live together with 2 other girls the following year. We signed the lease for the next fall in April, and by June when we went back home for the summer I knew it was NOT going to be pleasant. Let's call her Whiny.

Whiny was an only child, much doted upon by a single mother, and clearly was never taught things like "sharing" or "perspective" or "compromise". All her food was labeled in big red letters with her name, but I caught her drinking my milk more than once. Any boy who showed the slightest interest in me was subject to her overt flirting. Any invite extended to me was OBVIOUSLY meant for her as well, and if I didn't pass it along I was just a selfish horrible person. If she wanted a ride somewhere, one of the other roomies should give it to her regardless of their own schedules, because she NEEDED TO GO. The primary cause behind most of her behaviors, IMO, was her inability to look outside her own viewpoint. If she saw something a certain way that's just how it WAS and nothing you could say would change her mind.

I was spineless back then and basically put up with her "me me me me ME!!!!!!" attitude without complaint, but one of the other roomies was not so much of a pushover. Whiny insisted the two of them meet and discuss why Other Roomie was so "mean" to her and how they could "solve their issues". IE, she wanted to play the victim.

They met in OR's room, and OR left the door open, knowing I was in the living room and would be able to hear. The best exchange from their conversation was:

OR: "Whiny, the problem I have is that you refuse to take responsibility for anything. If I ask you to clean up your dishes, they aren't yours. If I ask if you left the door unlocked, it wasn't you. If I say anything to you that you can interpret as criticism you instantly deny it and say, "I don't do that!"
Whiny: "I DON'T DO THAT!"

It was priceless.

Margo

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:17 PM »
I'm so glad I never had to share a bedroom! And I was mostly fairly lucky with house-shares etc.

In my first year of university I lived in Halls (Dorms) - I had my own room, but we had a shared kitchen and bathrooms.

There was one girl on our floor, who was not exactly a roommate from hell, but was quite hard work - she was an only child, and had obviously been used to being run around after.. and she took a while to adjust to having to look after herself. She would leave her dirty dishes in the sink, and get annoyed if anyone moved them but didn't wash them up for her, and would leave mess all over the kitchen counters.  I could never quite understand how she made so much mess, as her mother used to come up every weekend bringing pre-made meals, so she never did any food preparation except to defrost and reheat these.

She did, gradually, improve - she seemed to be clueless rather than anything else - and understanding that it wasn't anyone elses responsibility to pick up after her!

The following year I lived in a shared, rented house- there were 6 of us, and mostly we got on pretty well, although 'Fran' did have an annoying habit of bringing home overnight guests but then not getting up with them in the morning, so we'd find strange men (or sometimes women) wandering round the house and helping themselves to our food at breakfast time.  In the end, we had to have a chat with her and ask her not to let people wander around on their first visit to the house.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:38 PM »
This isn't my story, but a coworkers.  It's a case of you don't know someone until you live with them.

Coworker had a best friend all through high school; they were like sisters. They went to separate colleges, but Coworker transferred in her second year and Best Friend was so excited that they can room together.  But when the time came, Best Friend ignored Coworker for her college friends. Between HS and the first year of college, she changed to an awful person.  Many things happened, but the final straw was when Coworker went home for the weekend. Roomie invited a strange guy over, they got drunk, and one or both threw up all over Coworker's quilt handmade by her grandmother (which meant they were in her bed? >:(), and then Roomie just shrugged it off.  Coworker made other living arrangements after that.

Marga

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2014, 06:33:11 PM »
Me, too.  I only had one roommate, and while we were much better friends when we didn't live together and were so until she passed away, we didn't do so well as roommates.  Most of this had to do with two issues in particular - her love life and her son. 

She brought home some of the dregs of humanity, and I was awakened more than once by enthusiastic Scrabble (I guess they were arguing over how to spell "prestidigitation", or something  ;D) (No, I'm not that naive).

The problem with "prestidigitation" is not the spelling, but the pronounciation! ;)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2014, 03:21:58 AM »

Is it just me or... is the idea of keeping rubbish in the fridge/freezer a bit... :o :o :o? I mean, I know it's in a bag, but it's still rotting rubbish right next to your food. Perhaps not in the freezer; maybe the freezing arrests things a bit - but in the fridge as mentioned in later posts?

So I'm not sure how that was any better than leaving it in the bin, in terms of being sanitary; sounds like the roommate had some weird ideas.

It's not like zombies; the food isn't decomposing, you know.

We stick regular rubbish (paper, etc) in the inside bin, but bag and freeze the "soggy", so to speak, stuff and toss it out the night we put the bins out for collection. In the Oz heat, putting soggy stuff in even the inside bin, let alone outside for a week would raise health issues. So just because it's scraps, it doesn't magically become "bad" just because you've changed its designation from food to garbage.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:31 AM »
First, a little explanation: The university residence where I lived for two years had the students arranged in houses of 11 or 12 people each with their own "single study bedroom". So no room mates, as such, but there could be 12 of you competing for the bathroom facilities if you all had 9am lectures. (Oddly enough, THAT was never an issue - in two years, I can't recall any arguments or problems with that side of things!)

With that said, on with the stories.

House mates from hell, part 1: The Wooden Spoon Disco
In my first year, my room was directly below the kitchen. On one Friday night fairly early on in the year a large group of my housemates went out for the night and...partied extremely hard, shall we say. I wasn't with them and, instead, turned in for the night at about 10pm. When they returned at 3am, it pleased them to go up to the kitchen and communal room - fair enough; empty all the drawers of all wooden cooking implements - regardless of who they belonged to; and then commence drumming on every hard surface available...

House mates from hell, part 2: My Keys!
Four of my housemates would go out on a Tuesday and a Thursday (cheep drinks nights) and would return (blotto) at 2am or later and bang on the door until someone let them in. When asked why they didn't take their keys, their response was "We'll lose them".

House mates from hell, part 3: My Heart Will Go On - And On - And On
One of the four keyless wonders fell in love with the Celine Dion song and played it. Repeatedly. And Loudly. And did I mention repeatedly? It was annoying at 10am. I leave you to supply a suitable adjective for what it was like at 2am... Here, though, I'll own my own irritating behaviour: I retaliated by playing variously Barbie Girl and Welcome to the Jungle, repeatedly and loudly.

House mates from hell, part 4: Reading Week Is For Mayonnaise
In my second year, my room was next door to the kitchen. I was also put with a group of nine friends who'd arranged to live together in their second year (so new bunch of house mates). It just so happened that all nine of the group, were arts students, while the three of us in-comers were either engineering or business studies. We all had reading weeks. Unfortunately, as it turned out, not at the same time. The arts departments scheduled theirs the week before the engineering department did - so the arts students opted to go out mid-week and get blotto, then returned at 2am and started a mayonnaise fight (seriously!) in the kitchen. They hadn't reckoned on an irate engineering student (me, with an 9am lecture the next day) appearing and asking them what the [non-eHell approved language] the thought they were playing at...

[To be fair, most of them apologised the next morning, when sober - which put them several yards up on the bunch I lived with in my first year!]

House mates from hell part 5: The Boyfriend Issue
This one actually started in the group of nine's first year - I just copped for the ending.

When they started uni, R was dating Bob. At some point during the year, Bob cheated on R with L, then dumped R altogether and started dating L officially.

I was introduced to Bob early on in year 2 and found him creepy, needy and generally not a good guy - and that was before I knew the backstory! All in all, then, not someone I was at all interested in. About six weeks into the year, L, Bob, C and I were watching L's TV one evening. L and C went upstairs to get something to drink, leaving me and Bob on our own. Not thirty seconds after L's departure, Bob turns to me and attempts to kiss me. I didn't actually haul off and smack him one (though I probably should have done); I just settled for shoving him off and getting the eHell out of there.

It was a day or so later that I got the whole story about Bob (and that he had previous for this sort of thing). And two or three days later, the whole house was woken in the not so small hours of the morning by Bob and L having a knock down drag out row on the landing - and, mercifully, that was the last time any of us saw Bob.

It also didn't wreck my relationship with L - it was a bit awkward for a couple of days, but the spectacular implosion of the Bob/L thing dealt with that, and we did talk about it a bit later in the year.

perpetua

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2014, 04:40:27 AM »

Is it just me or... is the idea of keeping rubbish in the fridge/freezer a bit... :o :o :o? I mean, I know it's in a bag, but it's still rotting rubbish right next to your food. Perhaps not in the freezer; maybe the freezing arrests things a bit - but in the fridge as mentioned in later posts?

So I'm not sure how that was any better than leaving it in the bin, in terms of being sanitary; sounds like the roommate had some weird ideas.

We stick regular rubbish (paper, etc) in the inside bin, but bag and freeze the "soggy", so to speak, stuff and toss it out the night we put the bins out for collection. In the Oz heat, putting soggy stuff in even the inside bin, let alone outside for a week would raise health issues. So just because it's scraps, it doesn't magically become "bad" just because you've changed its designation from food to garbage.

Again I suppose it depends where you live. Some councils in the UK only do non-recyclable rubbish pick up once every two weeks, it alternates. (thankfully mine collects both every week, but I have lived in places where it alternated) I wouldn't want, say, a bagged up chicken carcass or vegetable refuge in my fridge for two weeks next to food I was going to eat, that would eek me out. One of the reasons I have a bin in the first place is so I can take food that's going bad out of the fridge, so I'm not going to deliberately put it back in there :)

Cherry91

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »
The worst housemate I ever had was a jerk of infinite levels. I'll spare you all the gory details and give you the two worst incidents:

1. He didn't like that on occasion I accidentally dropped the paper from one of my toiletries in the bathroom. This was paper. Just paper. Usually it was because I was getting ready for class and not totally awake yet, and if I found one when I got home I threw it away right away. Apparently this infuriated him, but instead of actually talking to me about it...

He took a condom, filled it with mayonnaise to make it appear "used" and left it in the bathroom for me to find. On the day that he knew the landlord was coming for an inspection. I didn't realise it was there until after they'd been in the bathroom. The other housemates and I forced him to contact the landlord and explain it was a stupid prank.

2. He was the only housemate I knew before we all moved in together, but after we did, I really hit it off with two of the other housemates, who were a couple. However, the first time we met to see if we'd all be okay with living together, the couple had seemed super wary and closed off towards me. When I finally asked them about it, it turns out jerk roommate had told them I was a total psychopath who no one liked, and that's why he was being suuuuch a good person by trying to help me out... It never occurred to him that we'd actually talk to each other and realise he had a habit of talking about us behind our backs to the other members of the house...

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2014, 07:05:22 AM »

Again I suppose it depends where you live. Some councils in the UK only do non-recyclable rubbish pick up once every two weeks, it alternates. (thankfully mine collects both every week, but I have lived in places where it alternated) I wouldn't want, say, a bagged up chicken carcass or vegetable refuge in my fridge for two weeks next to food I was going to eat, that would eek me out. One of the reasons I have a bin in the first place is so I can take food that's going bad out of the fridge, so I'm not going to deliberately put it back in there :)

Freezer, not refrigerator