Author Topic: Roommate Hell.....  (Read 23915 times)

perpetua

Re: Roommate Hell.....
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2014, 07:13:26 AM »

Is it just me or... is the idea of keeping rubbish in the fridge/freezer a bit... :o :o :o? I mean, I know it's in a bag, but it's still rotting rubbish right next to your food. Perhaps not in the freezer; maybe the freezing arrests things a bit - but in the fridge as mentioned in later posts?

So I'm not sure how that was any better than leaving it in the bin, in terms of being sanitary; sounds like the roommate had some weird ideas.

It's not like zombies; the food isn't decomposing, you know.

We stick regular rubbish (paper, etc) in the inside bin, but bag and freeze the "soggy", so to speak, stuff and toss it out the night we put the bins out for collection. In the Oz heat, putting soggy stuff in even the inside bin, let alone outside for a week would raise health issues. So just because it's scraps, it doesn't magically become "bad" just because you've changed its designation from food to garbage.

Again I suppose it depends where you live. Some councils in the UK only do non-recyclable rubbish pick up once every two weeks, it alternates. (thankfully mine collects both every week, but I have lived in places where it alternated) I wouldn't want, say, a bagged up chicken carcass or vegetable refuge in my fridge for two weeks next to food I was going to eat, that would eek me out. One of the reasons I have a bin in the first place is so I can take food that's going bad out of the fridge, so I'm not going to deliberately put it back in there :)

Freezer, not refrigerator

I was actually referring to posts in the subsequent discussion, where a couple of posters said they keep their rubbish in the fridge, reply #30 for example.  My fault for quoting only the original post, but the quote tree was long so I snipped it :)

Even in the freezer though, it's still a place you keep food you're going to eat, as such I wouldn't want rubbish in there. So yes, to keep it on topic, if a flatmate insisted I do that or did that herself in a place I lived, I'd be looking for a new flatmate.

shadowfox79

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »
Oh yes, I forgot the ones from living in student hall...

I was in hall for 3 years. The first 2 were OK. The third year my friends and I were stuck on the same floor as the loudest group of girls in the history of the world.

They would put music on full blast in one of their bedrooms, jam the door open, and sit in the kitchen to listen to it.

They would run around until 4AM every night screaming. Literally. And bang on every door they passed.

We eventually locked horns with them by complaining to the warden. He sent round letters, which they pasted up on the kitchen wall and then ignored. We complained again. He did the same, so did they. We complained a third time. They were fined a small amount, which led them to start hurling abuse at us in the dining room.

Two nights after the fine, they went to the hall Christmas ball (we didn't bother), got in at 2am and started banging on pans shouting "Wake them up, wake them up!" Before we had time to complain, a letter appeared under our doors the following day calling a meeting with the warden. This led to a barrage of abuse again, as they thought we had complained about them - much to our bemusement, as we hadn't, so we went to see the warden to find out what it was about.

Which meant we were up to speed when, in the meeting, he informed them that one of them had pulled down the kitchen curtains and they were all going to be paying for it.

To give credit where it was due, one girl immediately stepped up and took the blame, so she was the only one charged. They apparently had a discussion after the meeting, because before we had even got back to our rooms they collared us in the corridor and apologised.

After that we had a lot less bother with them, although I was still glad to get out of there at the end of the year.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »
One housemate was a slob. He used to wash his sheets every 6 months whether they needed it or not.

Victoria

MissRose

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2014, 07:54:11 AM »
I shared a dorm room with one girl for a few months before she got her own room down the hall because she could not get along with the girls we shared an adjoining bathroom/shower with when I was finishing my last year of uni.  She was nice to me but we were opposites in many ways.   I know I am messy at times but she made me look like I was a neat freak.  She skipped classes part of the time and slept in instead. I know she was not too happy to share a room with someone who had 8am classes 4 or 5 days a week then worked on the weekends.  When she moved, she left her mess behind.  Good thing one of the frats on campus had a fundraiser to clean dorms for a charitable cause not long after that so I made a donation & watched 3 or 4 college guys clean up what was left behind.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »

Is it just me or... is the idea of keeping rubbish in the fridge/freezer a bit... :o :o :o? I mean, I know it's in a bag, but it's still rotting rubbish right next to your food. Perhaps not in the freezer; maybe the freezing arrests things a bit - but in the fridge as mentioned in later posts?

So I'm not sure how that was any better than leaving it in the bin, in terms of being sanitary; sounds like the roommate had some weird ideas.

It's not like zombies; the food isn't decomposing, you know.

We stick regular rubbish (paper, etc) in the inside bin, but bag and freeze the "soggy", so to speak, stuff and toss it out the night we put the bins out for collection. In the Oz heat, putting soggy stuff in even the inside bin, let alone outside for a week would raise health issues. So just because it's scraps, it doesn't magically become "bad" just because you've changed its designation from food to garbage.

Again I suppose it depends where you live. Some councils in the UK only do non-recyclable rubbish pick up once every two weeks, it alternates. (thankfully mine collects both every week, but I have lived in places where it alternated) I wouldn't want, say, a bagged up chicken carcass or vegetable refuge in my fridge for two weeks next to food I was going to eat, that would eek me out. One of the reasons I have a bin in the first place is so I can take food that's going bad out of the fridge, so I'm not going to deliberately put it back in there :)

Freezer, not refrigerator

I was actually referring to posts in the subsequent discussion, where a couple of posters said they keep their rubbish in the fridge, reply #30 for example.  My fault for quoting only the original post, but the quote tree was long so I snipped it :)

Even in the freezer though, it's still a place you keep food you're going to eat, as such I wouldn't want rubbish in there. So yes, to keep it on topic, if a flatmate insisted I do that or did that herself in a place I lived, I'd be looking for a new flatmate.

A century or more ago, those same animal & vegetable trimmings would probably have been thrown in a soup kettle on the back of the stove.  Bones & gristle might have been skimmed out, strained out, or otherwise removed after they'd been simmered a while....but the soup would not spoil as long as it was kept simmering over low heat (and water added as needed). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »
 minor stories-

sharing a bathroom with 4 total girls-

three of us began to carry our own toilet paper in our bags to the in-suite restroom, because roommate 4 seemed to be using a roll a DAY.  Seriously.  Yet she never bought any.  After a week or so, she went out and bought some to share, as had been our agreement.  In the interim, she had been taking toilet paper from the classroom bathrooms. 

For a while one year, we had a clogged toilet issue.  Thought it was just an old toilet, and then some how I noticed one girl was tossing cotton balls into the toilet after using them for make-up removal/application.

"They dissolve!"  she insisted.

So, I set up a science experiment.  I placed a couple of cotton balls into a glass and let it set out for a few days.  Proved that cotton is not paper, and although she got annoyed at me for proving her wrong, we had a working toilet again!  :)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

z_squared82

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
Oh, thought of another.

Not someone I lived with, but a couple of acquaintances of mine who were friend decided to live together when one of them got back from studying abroad. I feel fairly confident that they were only supposed to live together for a semester.

Well, the girls who hadnít been studying abroad, we called her Crazy Carrie for a reason. Itís because she was crazy. But at this point, she hadnít been put on medication yet.

Well, Study Abroad Girl comes into their room, first day of move in, with some of her things, expecting a warm welcome. I donít know what Crazy Carrie had been doing, but she came at SAG with a box cutter and told her to get the h3ll out of her room. SAG, of course, left and told someone with authority.

They both ended up with singles in one of the most desirable dorms, the dorms that donít allow singles so many people want to live there.

I'm sure there's more to the story, but I was trying to not interact with Crazy Carrie.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
My freshman year roommate acquired a boyfriend pretty early on in the school year, who then proceeded to be in our room all. the. time. I think sometimes even when my roommate wasn't there (though I've rather blocked a lot of it out). He lived down the hall from us, and on a personal level, he grated on my very last nerve. I also found him rather creepy, as he was in his early 20s and started dating my not-yet-18 roommate within a few weeks of moving in.

Midway through the year, my roommate decided she was ready to commence a more intimate relationship with said boyfriend, so a lot of that time in our room started being time when I wasn't welcome. I could pretty much guarantee that if I left for a couple of hours at a time, at any time, I'd come back to a locked door and a note on the whiteboard we kept outside it to knock first. Which meant that I either did in fact knock and then wait outside my own room while they scrambled into clothing (can we say awkward!), or took the hint and just didn't attempt to get into my own room.

I, rather unfortunately, responded to this annoyance by complaining a whole lot about being locked out of my room to everyone else I knew on that floor, which was probably pretty awkward of me.

This was also about the time when the boyfriend's roommate got fed up with stuff like the above happening, and banned my roommate from his room. I was really mad that I hadn't thought of doing that first (and wouldn't have had the spine to stick with it if I had), because it meant that the boyfriend spent even more time in our room. He also started spending the night. My roommate's bed was lofted perpendicularly over mine, and though I never had any desire to obtain conclusive proof, I'm fairly certain they weren't bothered by engaging in certain activities directly over my head when they thought I was asleep.

I tried to respond in a more mature way to this new frustration, so I suggested that we implement a rule that all non-roommates had to vacate the room when one of us decided it was time to go to sleep. That included friends and study groups and what have you for both of us as well as the boyfriend, and I still think it was a perfectly reasonable and fair rule since it was sort of a blanket one. There were plenty of common areas where people could hang out in our dorm, one of which was literally 3 feet from our door.

But, since none of those common areas were conducive to intimate activities, my roommate apparently decided the rule didn't really apply. I say apparently because she never actually talked to me about it, she just decided that she'd have her boyfriend sneak into our room after she thought I was asleep. Which I know about because I don't always fall asleep right away, and because my bed was right next to the door.

We didn't normally keep our door locked (as was pretty common in our dorm, though probably not terribly intelligent), so my response was to just "accidentally" lock the door when I went to bed. It wasn't a great response, because it still didn't result in any actual discussions about how to resolve this issue, nor did it stop the behavior. But I guess at least it forced the boyfriend to knock and my roommate to get out of bed to let him in.

I was far from a perfect roommate (we were both freshmen living on our own for the first time, after all), but it still kind of infuriates me over a decade later how cavalier my roommate was about my personal space and my privacy, as though they were somehow less important than her desire to spend time (intimate and otherwise) with her boyfriend. I really wish I'd been able to articulate that better at the time, and had known better how to be politely assertive instead of becoming incredibly passive-aggressive.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
On the loo roll issue:

My SO and I lived with three guys, second year of uni.

Now, we didn't mind buying MOST of the loo roll. After all, there's two of us, and we both have anatomy that means we need to use more. Fine.

After we started to notice that we were buying ALL of the loo roll, we took to keeping a stash in our room, and not leaving any in the loo. About 5 days in, we were sitting in our room when we heard the unmistakable sound of somebody going into the loo. They were in there long enough that they definitely needed loo roll. What would they do?

About 30 seconds after the flush, we heard the shower running. Ha! There was loo roll after that.

The kicker? We lived literally across the road from a 24-hour shop.

Vall

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »
In my early 20's, I worked as a waitress.  I decided to move in with a co-worker as roommates.  He was very nice, neat and easygoing.  He was also shy and timid.  We split the rent and utilities and I bought all of the food and whatever we needed.  I also gave him rides to work so he didn't have to spend the money for gas.  I didn't mind since I earned  a lot more money than him and I liked helping out.  He was always grateful for all of the "extras" and we got along great.

I didn't know that the lease was in his step-father's name.  Roommate had been paying his step-father rather than the landlord.  I didn't like his step-father.  He was always bragging about scamming money from people and doing violent things.  One day, roommate apologetically told me that we needed to move out in two days.  His step-father didn't want to be on the lease anymore.  Step-father had found a room for rent for him but I didn't have the money to find and rent a place with only two day's notice.  Besides, I had just paid for the next month's rent and utilities (and I always paid two weeks early).  I left for a few hours to try to find somewhere to live.

When I came back, everything had been hastily moved out of the house.  The step-father had come in and threw everything in bags and hauled it out of there.  I had nothing.  No kitchen wares, no bedding, no clothes, shoes, work uniforms, and he had even taken my much-needed medication.  My pictures and important papers like my birth certificate were gone.  All I had were the clothes on my back, my purse and my car outside.

My closest relative was 600 miles away.  I didn't know what to do.  The police wouldn't help me.  The step-father left a note that I'd have to pay him $150 for "storage" to get my things (he put them in his barn).  He knew that I'd have to borrow the money because I needed my uniforms for work and my medication right away.  Since I had to borrow to pay step-father immediately, I had to live in my car until I had enough money to rent a place.

My roommate apologized many times over for what his step-father did but he wasn't capable of standing up to him.  He was afraid of him.  Roommate simply didn't have the money to pay me back.  I learned to always get a lease in my name and to keep my receipts.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
Not my own issue but I was subjected to hear it because I worked with the two people involved and we'd carpool. 

For this story we have Pete, Laura and myself.  Pete, Pete2 (his best friend from home), and Laura lived together. Laura was Pete2's fiance.  At the time, Laura didn't drive but Pete and I did and we'd take turns driving onto campus for the job we did together.  Because of this, Pete did not charge me for gas money when he drove.  Now, I didn't ask Laura for gas money because I figured I was picking her up at the same place as Pete, it didn't really make any sense since it wasn't like I was making an extra stop to pick her up. Besides, their house was on my way to the campus.

However I had to endure countless arguments between Pete and Laura as to why she owed him gas money, such as wear and tear on the vehicle, extra weight in the car, etc.

Truth was he just couldn't stand her (if you ask me it was cause they were just too much alike) and there were many, many other issues.  House messy? All Laura's fault and he only should have to be responsible for his own room. Nevermind that when he and Pete 2 weren't working or in class, they were sitting on their butts doing exactly squat.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
In my early 20's, I worked as a waitress.  I decided to move in with a co-worker as roommates.  He was very nice, neat and easygoing.  He was also shy and timid.  We split the rent and utilities and I bought all of the food and whatever we needed.  I also gave him rides to work so he didn't have to spend the money for gas.  I didn't mind since I earned  a lot more money than him and I liked helping out.  He was always grateful for all of the "extras" and we got along great.

I didn't know that the lease was in his step-father's name.  Roommate had been paying his step-father rather than the landlord.  I didn't like his step-father.  He was always bragging about scamming money from people and doing violent things.  One day, roommate apologetically told me that we needed to move out in two days.  His step-father didn't want to be on the lease anymore.  Step-father had found a room for rent for him but I didn't have the money to find and rent a place with only two day's notice.  Besides, I had just paid for the next month's rent and utilities (and I always paid two weeks early).  I left for a few hours to try to find somewhere to live.

When I came back, everything had been hastily moved out of the house.  The step-father had come in and threw everything in bags and hauled it out of there.  I had nothing.  No kitchen wares, no bedding, no clothes, shoes, work uniforms, and he had even taken my much-needed medication.  My pictures and important papers like my birth certificate were gone.  All I had were the clothes on my back, my purse and my car outside.

My closest relative was 600 miles away.  I didn't know what to do.  The police wouldn't help me.  The step-father left a note that I'd have to pay him $150 for "storage" to get my things (he put them in his barn).  He knew that I'd have to borrow the money because I needed my uniforms for work and my medication right away.  Since I had to borrow to pay step-father immediately, I had to live in my car until I had enough money to rent a place.

My roommate apologized many times over for what his step-father did but he wasn't capable of standing up to him.  He was afraid of him.  Roommate simply didn't have the money to pay me back.  I learned to always get a lease in my name and to keep my receipts.

This is the saddest story I have read in this thread. I am so sorry, and I commend you on pulling out of this and keeping strong. Your whole life disrupted. I can't imagine how I would react.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:29:42 AM by Luci45 »

melicious

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »

This is the saddest story I have read in this thread. I am so sorry, and I commend you on pulling out of this and keeping strong. Your whole life disrupted. I can't imagine how I would react.

I second that. This is far from a standard bad roommate story.  :(

Vall

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

I second that. This is far from a standard bad roommate story.  :(
Oh, it could've been much worse.  At least I had a car and a job that paid tips daily.  And I knew of a truck stop that rented showers.  I was a very good waitress so it didn't take long for me to scrape together enough to rent a room.

Of course I cried at first (confusion, fear, frustration, anger) but I didn't dwell on it.  Like most people, I just did what had to be done.  I'd love to say that step-father got his comeuppance but that never happened to my knowledge.  Some people are just like that.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
The only days we don't have garbage pickup are on the weekend, so our garbage goes out every night (if it is full).