Author Topic: Roommate Hell.....  (Read 23879 times)

Octavia

Re: Roommate Hell.....
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »
My bad roommate experiences were all during college.

My first roommate seemed like a decent person and we got along well. But she quit college and moved out with the help of one of her friends late one night. Then the calls from the FBI started. They were looking for her. Never knew why but I've always wondered.

A later roommate never washed her towels or sheets. Her defense is that she is always clean when she uses them, so they never need to be washed. You can imagine what our 12'x12' dorm room smelled like after a semester of that. Fortunately she moved out and into an apartment with her boyfriend after the semester was up. Otherwise I would have moved out.

The next roommate I'll call "superglue." She had to go everywhere I went and was not able or willing to make her own friends. The only time she would leave the room is for classes and to go somewhere with me. It was suffocating. I'm an introvert so sharing a 12'x12' dorm room with another person is difficult enough. But this pushed me over the edge. After failing to get her to understand that I needed my own life, I in turn became the roommate from Hell and ended up giving her the Cut Direct. While still living together. I'm not proud of that and would do things differently if given the chance.

I moved off campus into a two-bedroom apartment with wall-to-wall carpet, even in the bathroom. My roommate moved in with her cat. The cat did not use the litter box. Ever. Every morning I got up there was a new surprise to clean up, as well as a few times throughout the day. It was disgusting. Roommate did not care. The landlord convinced her to move out after one semester because the cat was destroying the house.

Next roommate was no better. She was as responsible as a small child. She regularly left her house key in the front door lock. Right outside of the door was the sidewalk in the downtown of a major city that had some major crime. We were lucky that her irresponsibility never resulted in any unwelcome visitors. I'm not proud of this either but every time she would come into the house I'd quietly check to see if she had left her key in the door, and if she did I'd remove it and hide it. I'd then feign concern and puzzlement while she tore the place apart looking for the key, and watch quietly as the landlord would come over with yet another copy of the key for her (with a hefty charge of course). After that semester was over I moved into my own efficiency apartment. Never had another roommate again.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
My housemate junior year of college.  We were so different from each other - should have never shared an apartment!

- She wanted us to have a set roster of chores and put up a schedule on the refridgerator.  I noticed that somehow I was the one who was responsible for doing the heavy duty cleaning (vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, etc) four times per week, and she was only on there twice.  Hmmmm.

- She let her boyfriend do whatever he wanted to the apartment.  It became my fault when I didn't clear off the table enough for him to paint his miniatures, or when I preheated the oven without removing the bread he stuck in there.  It was also my fault when I let him rearrange the living room furniture and she didn't like it.

- She dumped a bag of trash on my bed one day because I didn't take it out right away in the morning.  I was planning to take it out that afternoon, after my classes were over.  I hadn't taken it out for a few days, because I was buying trash bags and didn't want to throw away bags that were only half full.  According to her, I was trying to convince mice, cockroaches and fruit flies to come live with us.

My roommate right out of college was who convinced me I shouldn't share a home with anyone except my DH, though.  We had completely different schedules, and ended up fighting all the time over "being noisy".  I said she was being noisy when she came in after partying at 2 or 3 in the morning.  She said I was being too noisy when I got up for work at 4 or 5 in the morning and woke her up because she'd just fallen asleep.  We hated the other's tastes in food, so the kitchen was always a battleground if we tried to cook around the same times.  That was an awful year.  After that, I moved into my own apartment, and lived alone until I moved in with my DH after our engagement. 

LemonZen

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:50 PM »
When he was in college, my DH had some pretty terrible roommates. He was the primary name on the lease and sub-let to a variety of other guys, which ended up badly more often than not.

The worst one though was the roommate who holed up in his room with 3 computers and a multitude of electronics. He got so lost in his WoW games he quit his job (or got fired, not sure) and only came out for occasional junk food runs. The electric bills more than tripled because of him and he refused to pay for any of it. It was getting to be hundreds of extra dollars every month that  DH had to pay for electricity. When he finally moved out, it was discovered that he was so oblivious to the world that he let all the water evaporate out of his (large) aquarium and his poor fish suffered the consequences. He also left the tank for my DH to clean up. >:(

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
Valentines Mommy, your Nightmare roommate is lucky she never met me. You see, I can be surprisingly patient, even with people who don't deserve such forbearance. But the moment Nightmare tried to physically threaten me, it would be on like Donkey Kong. You see, I was bullied and tormented by my classmates for years, and that's one thing I've lost all patience for. Nightmare would get the courtesy of one warning from me- That after spending a decade as a night watchwoman, I've learned a thing or two. I've scared off real criminals, so a two-bit bully like her is nothing. I'd remind her of that. There's also the dark little "what-if" survival scenario game I tend to play on a lot of my jobsites. If I had to defend myself against a determined attacker and running away wasn't an option, what things in my environment could be used as weapons of convenience? Even the pen I write reports with might make a nice stabbing weapon if need be. That mop handle, piece of conduit pipe or scrap wood? Hello staff and club. Common workplace or household cleaning agents? Yikes! And let's not even get into what I might find in a kitchen or lab, or toolbox.
I wouldn't overplay my hand by telling her all the dirty tricks I've thought up over the years, but I'd happily let her know that attempting to act on her threats would not bode well for her comfort or health.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 03:22:14 PM »
I neglected to tell my dorm roommate that I had a tendency to talk in my sleep. I was 18 and I grew up in a household where anger prevailed. The first night we were there I must have had a bad dream because pre dawn my new roommate, who was relatively shy then, woke up to me screaming "Get the 'eff' out of here now!!". Diane, my roommate, thought I meant her so she left the room and slept the rest of the night in the lounge.

That morning she said nothing and I had no knowledge of it, and despite that we got to be good friends. She didn't tell me this story for months. I was horrified but she was amused because by then she knew me well enough to know that wasn't my style when awake. There were also no other such incidents so I think that helped reassure her.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
Valentines Mommy, your Nightmare roommate is lucky she never met me. You see, I can be surprisingly patient, even with people who don't deserve such forbearance. But the moment Nightmare tried to physically threaten me, it would be on like Donkey Kong. You see, I was bullied and tormented by my classmates for years, and that's one thing I've lost all patience for. Nightmare would get the courtesy of one warning from me- That after spending a decade as a night watchwoman, I've learned a thing or two. I've scared off real criminals, so a two-bit bully like her is nothing. I'd remind her of that. There's also the dark little "what-if" survival scenario game I tend to play on a lot of my jobsites. If I had to defend myself against a determined attacker and running away wasn't an option, what things in my environment could be used as weapons of convenience? Even the pen I write reports with might make a nice stabbing weapon if need be. That mop handle, piece of conduit pipe or scrap wood? Hello staff and club. Common workplace or household cleaning agents? Yikes! And let's not even get into what I might find in a kitchen or lab, or toolbox.
I wouldn't overplay my hand by telling her all the dirty tricks I've thought up over the years, but I'd happily let her know that attempting to act on her threats would not bode well for her comfort or health.

Nightmare was awful. But in the end, my new roommates were awesome. So it worked out.

SouthernBelle

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
This reminds me of a funny story.

In my first year of law school I lived in an on-campus, 4-girl apartment.  One girl was working on her masters, the other two were seniors.

Two of us had TVs, me and one of the undergrads.  There was an antennae attachment in the living room.  We agreed to put the undergrad's TV there as the screen was larger.  That one got more channels as a result.  Mine was in my bedroom.  The rule was that if you wanted to watch something on one of the antennae channels, you got dibs on the living room.  There was no problem with someone watching in the bedroom.

For most of the year this wasn't a problem.

One night there was some major TV event, think Super bowl or Oscars, and several of us were getting ready to watch including 3 of us roomies and several guests.  But the owner of the LR TV didn't want to watch that.  She wanted to watch something else which could be viewed on mine.  She decided to pout, then argue, then threw out the "It's my TV" card.

We stood looking at her a moment.  Then I went to my bedroom, got my TV, hooked it up to the antennae, handed her TV to her and we watched whatever.  The rest of the group was torn between dying laughing and being dumbfounded I had the nerve.

She was a little immature.

HorseFreak

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
I had an extremely immature 18 year old roommate in an apartment when I was a senior in college. She and the other roommate who was getting her Master's went out drinking (18 yr old had a fake ID). The bars closed and they wanted to drink more, but the liquor store was closed as well. They drank my 4-pack of Jack Daniel's Country Cocktails which were pretty hard to find.

I really wouldn't have minded so much except the WHINING when I asked her to replace them that she wasn't 21 and thus not legally able to buy beer and couldn't possibly be expected to replace them. I told her to figure it out and things got mighty cool from there on out.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »
I had forgotten all about my picky roommate until this thread. I think I blocked that year from my memory.

We were in grad school and knew each other and it seemed that we'd be a good match as roommates, so the second year of our program, we got an apartment together. One thing "Jane" told me was that during the summer, she didn't throw food scraps/waste into the kitchen garbage, but put them in a plastic bag in the freezer, and then threw that bag out on trash day. Which, okay, a little fussy for my liking, but I could live with it.

Well, it turned out that Jane had a lot of little rules that that, for the kitchen, the bathroom, the bedroom, and general cleaning of the apartment.

The food scrap bag turned out to be not just for the summer, but all year long. Then she poured some sort of liquid in it, and it ran all over the freezer, so she started double-bagging it, which made it a bit more difficult to deal with. Then she developed a special sort of twist and knot to close it, that I had to copy exactly.

Then she caught me making a salad, with the food scrap bag on the counter, handy for me to toss all the bits and pieces of the vegetables that I was trimming and cutting into. Oh, no, the bag couldn't possibly be left on the counter. I was to keep the bag in the freezer, and bring it to the counter only when I was done fixing all the vegetables. Oh, and egg shells? They had to be put in their own, special plastic bag before they could go in the food scrap bag, so any egg left in them wouldn't leak out.

She used dish clothes to wash dishes; I used a sponge. I had to stop using the sponge. I had to remember to put those strainers from the sink drains in the dish washer every time I ran it. She left things in the dish drainer only while she washed dishes, then she'd dry them. I left things in the dish drainer until they were dry, then I'd put them away. Oh, no! That was sloppy housekeeping and not allowed.

I didn't use bleach when I cleaned the bathroom. That had to change. I vacuumed the public rooms of the apartment--living room, dining room, hallway--in the wrong order. I vacuumed the kitchen! Oh, the horror! Even though it was the best way to get the cat fur off the floor, her mother had never vacuumed the kitchen, so that too was sloppy housekeeping.

She made her bed immediately after she got out of it in the morning. I made mine after breakfast. Again, filthy, dirty habit. But I argued that she couldn't control what I did in my own room, and she finally backed down.

She never actually complained about how clean I got things, or the results of any of my housework. We had worked out a chore chart, and we both kept on top of the chores.

But it was the constant, non-stop niggling about *how* I did just about everything that wore on my nerves. It got to the point where I wasn't cooking and baking as much as I used to, because those activities had gone from being a fun way to escape from grad school to a time of torment, because I wasn't doing things my way; I was forced into doing them her way. And it got hard to remember all her little rules. And she'd get so upset if I forgot to put the sink strainer in the dishwasher, for example, and go off on a rant about how filthy my habits were.

No one thing that she wanted me to do was a burden. Some of them were a little silly, but in my attempt to be a good roommate, I kept that thought hidden. It was more the fact that every single thing had to be done her way. That every thing I did was "wrong." Not "different," just "wrong." And I got tired of always having to do things her way, of always giving in so she wouldn't get upset.

So I sat her down one afternoon and told her things weren't working out. She was very surprised to hear that. I gave her the choice of picking out which three things she wanted me to do in the kitchen, which three in the bathroom, etc. I had a list of them all for her. She argued and argued that my ways were "wrong," but I stood firm. I may not be the world's best housekeeper, but I'm not a slob and my house is clean.

She was very upset and complained to our friends. Fortunately, the friends were not as sympathetic as she would have liked, and mostly took my side.

She moved out when the lease was up, and had to get an apartment by herself, as no one would live with her.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

kategillian

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
I had a roommate that got into some sort of trouble with her sorority, I never got the whole story. They began to make trouble for her, and as a result she only left out room to go to classes and at no other time. Let me repeat that. She NEVER left the room unless she was going to class. No weekends home, no movies, no coffee dates. She was there when I got up in the morning and there when I got home from school. When I left for work, and when I came home. Just. Always. There.
Despite all of this she managed to get a boyfriend, met him in class I guess? So a couple times a week I got to listen to them play Scrabble.

squashedfrog

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
My housemate was someone I thought was my best friend.

She lied about having cancer, and only six months to live.  She told us that she was moving home to die, and she wanted us to remember how like she was now, before it began to eat away at her.

It turned out she was a con artist, running up almost thirty thousand in debt at the house in credit cards, loans and store cards.   

I also found out when she left that as a karting gift she told my bf I was cheating on him (with a guy who sh 'd been dumped by) in the hope he'd beat him up.

We were able to trace her to another address, this time in London and warn them. She was attempting to do the same thing there, and when she was found out, she disappeared into the night, telling the land lady and some rather big men who came to move her stuff thAt her then housemate was her boyfriend who had beaten and raped her, so that's why she had to get out at three in the morning.

Diety help that woman now.

o_gal

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
Until the day about 5 or 6 weeks into the school year that I had a premonition that morning during classes that she might just need to quit school. Then when I returned to the room that afternoon, she was gone. Her parents had finally had enough and since the school wouldn't do anything, they did. They came and yanked her out of there. I came home to her half of the room empty. EB was in for a shock the next morning  >:D

What happened when he came back the next morning?

He came a little after 6am and knocked. I didn't answer. He went away for a little bit, then knocked again. I still didn't answer. Then he went away for a long time, probably to get breakfast. When he came back, it was just as I was leaving for an early morning class. He tried to get in the room and I did something to block him and told him she was gone. He didn't believe me and still wanted to get in, so I just held the door open wide and let him see that all her stuff was gone. The look of utter shock and complete disbelief on his face was priceless. After that, I only saw him occasionally as we both crossed over the campus.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:15 AM »
I had forgotten all about my picky roommate until this thread. I think I blocked that year from my memory.

We were in grad school and knew each other and it seemed that we'd be a good match as roommates, so the second year of our program, we got an apartment together. One thing "Jane" told me was that during the summer, she didn't throw food scraps/waste into the kitchen garbage, but put them in a plastic bag in the freezer, and then threw that bag out on trash day. Which, okay, a little fussy for my liking, but I could live with it.

Well, it turned out that Jane had a lot of little rules that that, for the kitchen, the bathroom, the bedroom, and general cleaning of the apartment.

The food scrap bag turned out to be not just for the summer, but all year long. Then she poured some sort of liquid in it, and it ran all over the freezer, so she started double-bagging it, which made it a bit more difficult to deal with. Then she developed a special sort of twist and knot to close it, that I had to copy exactly.

Then she caught me making a salad, with the food scrap bag on the counter, handy for me to toss all the bits and pieces of the vegetables that I was trimming and cutting into. Oh, no, the bag couldn't possibly be left on the counter. I was to keep the bag in the freezer, and bring it to the counter only when I was done fixing all the vegetables. Oh, and egg shells? They had to be put in their own, special plastic bag before they could go in the food scrap bag, so any egg left in them wouldn't leak out.

She used dish clothes to wash dishes; I used a sponge. I had to stop using the sponge. I had to remember to put those strainers from the sink drains in the dish washer every time I ran it. She left things in the dish drainer only while she washed dishes, then she'd dry them. I left things in the dish drainer until they were dry, then I'd put them away. Oh, no! That was sloppy housekeeping and not allowed.

I didn't use bleach when I cleaned the bathroom. That had to change. I vacuumed the public rooms of the apartment--living room, dining room, hallway--in the wrong order. I vacuumed the kitchen! Oh, the horror! Even though it was the best way to get the cat fur off the floor, her mother had never vacuumed the kitchen, so that too was sloppy housekeeping.

She made her bed immediately after she got out of it in the morning. I made mine after breakfast. Again, filthy, dirty habit. But I argued that she couldn't control what I did in my own room, and she finally backed down.

She never actually complained about how clean I got things, or the results of any of my housework. We had worked out a chore chart, and we both kept on top of the chores.

But it was the constant, non-stop niggling about *how* I did just about everything that wore on my nerves. It got to the point where I wasn't cooking and baking as much as I used to, because those activities had gone from being a fun way to escape from grad school to a time of torment, because I wasn't doing things my way; I was forced into doing them her way. And it got hard to remember all her little rules. And she'd get so upset if I forgot to put the sink strainer in the dishwasher, for example, and go off on a rant about how filthy my habits were.

No one thing that she wanted me to do was a burden. Some of them were a little silly, but in my attempt to be a good roommate, I kept that thought hidden. It was more the fact that every single thing had to be done her way. That every thing I did was "wrong." Not "different," just "wrong." And I got tired of always having to do things her way, of always giving in so she wouldn't get upset.

So I sat her down one afternoon and told her things weren't working out. She was very surprised to hear that. I gave her the choice of picking out which three things she wanted me to do in the kitchen, which three in the bathroom, etc. I had a list of them all for her. She argued and argued that my ways were "wrong," but I stood firm. I may not be the world's best housekeeper, but I'm not a slob and my house is clean.

She was very upset and complained to our friends. Fortunately, the friends were not as sympathetic as she would have liked, and mostly took my side.

She moved out when the lease was up, and had to get an apartment by herself, as no one would live with her.

I'd have lost it when she said to freeze the garbage.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:58 AM »
I don't have a problem with freezing the food garbage - I do the same thing, myself, in the summer months so as not to stink up the place and the garbage can.  I also don't use a sponge on dishes because they can harbour bacteria.

But everything else?  I'd have killed her.  Or she'd have killed me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

alkira6

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »
Yeah, wouldn't have lasted the month with her.  I minimize bleach use, use a sponge and fry it in the microwave every two days if I don't chuck it in the dishwasher when I'm running a sanitize cycle on glassware, and almost never make the bed.  She could either adjust to how another person did things as long as they got done well or she could go pound sand.