Author Topic: Roommate Hell.....  (Read 23284 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Roommate Hell.....
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Can the garbage stories move to another thread?

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
First roommate in college didn't believe in showering. Well, she did it, but it was every few days, and she had a very pungent body odor. She also didn't wash her sheets the entire semester I lived with her. One weekend she went home to see her boyfriend and asked if she could borrow one of my shirts. I said OK. She left on Thursday and came back Monday, and bragged she hadn't bathed all weekend. (She's gotten...a special haircut or makeup or something on Thursday and didn't want to wash it out.) She gave me back the (unwashed) shirt. I eventually threw it out because I couldn't get the smell of her body odor and weed out, even after multiple washings.

After I moved out, her housekeeping got worse. I had brought the refrigerator, and took it with me when I moved (although it was just a few dorm rooms down and I offered the fridge's use to her.) She would order pizza and then just store it in the box at room temp until she finished it, whether it was later that day or several days later.

bloo

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
In my early 20's, I worked as a waitress.  I decided to move in with a co-worker as roommates.  He was very nice, neat and easygoing.  He was also shy and timid.  We split the rent and utilities and I bought all of the food and whatever we needed.  I also gave him rides to work so he didn't have to spend the money for gas.  I didn't mind since I earned  a lot more money than him and I liked helping out.  He was always grateful for all of the "extras" and we got along great.

I didn't know that the lease was in his step-father's name.  Roommate had been paying his step-father rather than the landlord.  I didn't like his step-father.  He was always bragging about scamming money from people and doing violent things.  One day, roommate apologetically told me that we needed to move out in two days.  His step-father didn't want to be on the lease anymore.  Step-father had found a room for rent for him but I didn't have the money to find and rent a place with only two day's notice.  Besides, I had just paid for the next month's rent and utilities (and I always paid two weeks early).  I left for a few hours to try to find somewhere to live.

When I came back, everything had been hastily moved out of the house.  The step-father had come in and threw everything in bags and hauled it out of there.  I had nothing.  No kitchen wares, no bedding, no clothes, shoes, work uniforms, and he had even taken my much-needed medication.  My pictures and important papers like my birth certificate were gone.  All I had were the clothes on my back, my purse and my car outside.

My closest relative was 600 miles away.  I didn't know what to do.  The police wouldn't help me.  The step-father left a note that I'd have to pay him $150 for "storage" to get my things (he put them in his barn).  He knew that I'd have to borrow the money because I needed my uniforms for work and my medication right away.  Since I had to borrow to pay step-father immediately, I had to live in my car until I had enough money to rent a place.

My roommate apologized many times over for what his step-father did but he wasn't capable of standing up to him.  He was afraid of him.  Roommate simply didn't have the money to pay me back.  I learned to always get a lease in my name and to keep my receipts.

This is the saddest story I have read in this thread. I am so sorry, and I commend you on pulling out of this and keeping strong. Your whole life disrupted. I can't imagine how I would react.

I second that. This is far from a standard bad roommate story.  :(
Oh, it could've been much worse.  At least I had a car and a job that paid tips daily.  And I knew of a truck stop that rented showers.  I was a very good waitress so it didn't take long for me to scrape together enough to rent a room.

Of course I cried at first (confusion, fear, frustration, anger) but I didn't dwell on it.  Like most people, I just did what had to be done.  I'd love to say that step-father got his comeuppance but that never happened to my knowledge.  Some people are just like that.

I love your attitude and how you bounced back, but I wanted to echo the other posters that this is the saddest thing I've read on this thread. His step-dad is evil. You learned a hard lesson. My DS is 18 and one of his options that he's considering is moving in with one of his good friends next year. I've had many discussions about the benefits and pitfalls of having a roommate. This thread has given me excellent topics to discuss with both of my kids.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »
My former roomie, the one with the little boy and the boyfriend who was the lying toad, also went through being tossed out with only the clothes she stood in - by the lying toad, who "graciously" gave her back a cut glass bowl that had belonged to her grandmother and a picture of her grandfather.  That right there was one (big) reason why I thought she was crazy for still considering him the love of her life.  (No one was more thrilled than me when she discovered how much of a liar he really was and kicked him out of her life.)

My grandfather was also kicked out of his wife's house after her death by her heirs.  In his case, he was 87 years old, and he was left with his clothes, his car, and his poodle.  My aunt who lived nearby took him in.  I was told that the heirs wouldn't even let him take his electric razor since he couldn't prove that it was his.  His wife had been a lovely person (he had remarried after my grandmother's death) but even her other family members who lived nearby thought the heirs had been rather high-handed in their dealings with Grandpa.  After he moved in with my aunt his wife's grandson and the grandson's children would come over a couple of times a week and take Grandpa to appointments, out to lunch, etc. When Grandpa died the grandson spoke at the funeral about how my grandpa was the only grandfather his children had ever known, and he wished that all children had a grandfather like him. 

That's straying from the subject of the thread, so I'll stop now.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
I remember the boyfriend of Dh's roommate once made "special" brownies in their kitchen.  The smell of the boiling mj was terrible  enough that I didn't even want to try the brownies!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

melicious

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »
My grandfather was also kicked out of his wife's house after her death by her heirs.  In his case, he was 87 years old, and he was left with his clothes, his car, and his poodle. 

Whaaaat? That's just cruel.  :(

Asharah

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »
My grandfather was also kicked out of his wife's house after her death by her heirs.  In his case, he was 87 years old, and he was left with his clothes, his car, and his poodle. 

At least they didn't steal the poodle.
Asharah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »

This sounds a lot like the woman a very good friend of the family met and married after his wife died. He had been the principle of the HS where my mom attended, and my grandparents rented out the second floor of his huge house, which had been converted to an apt. His wife died, and he embarked on this trip across the country, as he knew a lot of people in a lot of places. Either on this trip, or shortly after he got back, he married a woman, much much younger than him, and of a different race. Which didn't bother us, but sure bothered a lot of other folks. And she was quite manipulative. Our theory was she thought he had a lot of $$, and married him just for that, but in reality, he was poor as a churchmouse.

My grandmother eventually ended up moving to a new place, as he was as old as she, and figured once he was gone, the wife would kick her out too. He ended up living in the basement of this house, and having little to no contact with her. We think once she realized he didn't have much, she wanted nothing to do with him.  And after he passed away, she got the house.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »

My grandfather was also kicked out of his wife's house after her death by her heirs.  . 

That reminds me of my poor aunt. Auntie is one of the most caring women you will ever meet.  She married LowLife (LL) for some reason that none of us can understand.  He verbally abused her and in general made her life difficult.  She is in another state so I just know what family gossip says about him. 

She did leave him about 3 years ago and moved in with my mom in another state. She stayed with mom for about 5-6 months until LL contacted her to let her know he was dying and that it was her duty to come back home and take care of him.  Auntie did just that. 

She stayed with him until last summer when he passed away. She did not even leave for a couple of days to come to any of her brotherís funerals. We lost 3 of my uncles and my granddad in a 2 year period. My mom was adopted by her older brother (my grandpa) and Auntie was nearly adopted by him also.  Grandpa was very much like a father to her so this was a HUGE deal to everyone even her. But LL made it clear that if she left she didnít need to bother coming back. 

When LL passed on, Auntie found out that while she had been living with my mom, LL changed his will giving everything to his kids and signed their house over to one of them. She had 3 days to move out of the house and find somewhere else to live. The kids took everything out of the house that she could not prove was hers including the beds, all the light bulbs, the carpets, EVERYTHING not nailed down and even some stuff that was nailed down!

She contested the will and the signing over of the house, she did not sign anything giving up her rights in the house, but they claim that he didnít know where she was and published a notice in all the local papers. Until the court case is heard, she is permitted to stay in the house.  She has to be careful about even going out. They have made it clear that if they drive by and see her away from the house, they will file for abandonment of the house and try to take it before the court date which is still almost 2 years away due to all the delays they keep filing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
That's awful! :( Your poor aunt! That just isn't right and I hope she wins before too long. That would drive me crazy to be basically a prisoner in my own home! :(

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
That is terrible. I hope she has a good lawyer. It sounds hard to get the "we didn't know where she was" to stick when he was able to call her for help and when she stayed right there, probably with plenty of witnesses. A good lawyer will also be able to tell her exactly what abandonment of the property means, since I doubt it means she can never leave the house.

Tosca

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
Not me, but my daughter.  Two major sins by her first housemate...

1.  She left raw meat in the fridge for so long that it went bad.  So bad that the smell was leaking out of the fridge and fouling the entire kitchen.  The whole time she was eating food out of that fridge.  Fortunately my daughter had her own fridge.

2.  The used condom in the middle of the kitchen floor.  Enough said.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2014, 01:46:11 AM »

At least they didn't steal the poodle.

The poodle was 14, and they probably didn't want to be bothered with finding a home for her.  Grandpa liked the poodle, so he didn't mind keeping her even though she'd belonged to his wife.  It was one of those situations where Wife's heirs weren't thrilled about her remarrying because they didn't want her property to leave the family (sounds like a lot of people I've known), so in order to shut them up she kept her property separate from Grandpa's.  Some of it I could understand, but not allowing Grandpa to take his electric razor?  That to me is just greed.  What were they going to do with a used electric razor?

Sorry to derail.  I haven't had a lot of roommates so I don't have a lot of horror stories.

rain

« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
my sister had a roommate in college who would take her stuff (including underwear) then say things like "oh I didn't know this was yours, I thought it was mine"
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Allyson

« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
I lived in a shared house with some people I knew more than others for a few years, before I left to travel. The week before I moved out, I'd bagged a lot of my old clothes that I didn't need anymore, ready to take it to a thrift store. I came home from work to find my old clothes all hanging around the entire apartment. My roommate had gone through the bag and washed it all, then hung it up to dry. When I asked him why he said he didn't like the thrift store I was going to give it to, and he wanted to give it to Specific Charity instead. he also stole/gave away a bunch of my stuff, including a jar full of change I'd been saving for years, and a hardcover book I'd  borrowed from a friend.