71 (12.4%)
35mm Camera
30 (5.2%)
Floppy disk and drive
8 (1.4%)
Tube Television
20 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Do you still use...?  (Read 3145 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Do you still use...?
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »
After an interesting discussion at work, I wanted to see what e-hellions still have and use of these older technologies.

My workplace still uses fax machines and we still have a typewriter, but I only have a 35mm camera at home now. We do still have some VHS tapes and need to see about having them converted to DVD or digital video.

twoferrets

Re: Do you still use...?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
Fax machine at work; a ton of old VHS tapes at home but no functioning VCR that I know of (the fact that I don't even know for sure if we have a working VCR somewhere says something, I think).  Actually, we do use land lines at work too but it's all voice-over-internet now and strictly speaking I'm not sure that counts as a traditional phone.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
I have a combo DVD-VCR.  You can record tapes to DVD, which is pretty nice.  It's rare that we actually watch a tape, though.

The cassette player in my car has an adapter so I can listen to podcasts from my phone.  I don't know that I've ever listened to a cassette on it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
Fax machine at work; a ton of old VHS tapes at home but no functioning VCR that I know of (the fact that I don't even know for sure if we have a working VCR somewhere says something, I think).  Actually, we do use land lines at work too but it's all voice-over-internet now and strictly speaking I'm not sure that counts as a traditional phone.

Same kind of phones at my workplace. VOIP, so if the internet goes out, so do the phones!

Teenyweeny

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
Landline phone, and only because my mobile gets very poor reception in my house.

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
One thing I was hoping would be on the list that wasn't was a 3.5" floppy.  It was quite recently that I used a Floppy to transfer some 10-year-old documents from an old laptop to my new computer (via my desktop computer).

The USB port wasn't recognizing my memory stick and the old laptop doesn't have the ability to connect wirelessly or via ethernet.  (It also still runs Windows 95).  I ended up using the 3.5" floppy to move the files to my desktop computer, and was then able to use my home network to move the files to my current laptop and copy them to my backup drive.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
My last job had some persnickety people who were frugal all working at a non-profit.  Typewriters were actually fought over! 

New stationary that fit the printer envelope trays was too expensive.
New printers were (obviously) way too expensive.
Labels didn't look as nice.
Calligraphy was acceptable, but realistically, it wasn't feasible when doing a 600 person mailing every other week.

One of my admins (a darling 70 year old who had been in the office for over 50 years) had her A key go on her typewriter.  I was floored when I got a price quote on a new or refurbished IBM Selectric!  I think the admin mentioned that her house had cost less, back in the day.  Someone knew someone who could fix it, thankfully.  (Our running joke was that we were going to grab everyone in the building who's town had a dump and go to all the dumps looking for a Selectric or even just the key!)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
I technically have a tape player in our older vehicle but I don't remember the last time anyone used it. In fact DH has a ton of old tapes from the 80s and early 90s that he's always talked about transferring to MP3 but he never has. I wonder if it's too late now, I can't imagine they've held up well after a decade in various garages?  :-\

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:53 AM »
I ticked landline and fax machine.  We have landlines at work, as well as the fax machine.  I still have a landline at home.  The main reason is for 911 - my landline's address will come up on the computer of the dispatcher so they know where to send the ambulance.  The VoIP for the main cable provider in my town will also come up but I'm still with phone lines.

I do still have a stereo with cassette players and I still have a working VCR, although I don't use either one very often.

My oldest nephew is a major audiophile and has this awesome sound system, complete with turntables.  And he has my brother's old record collection.  He was Mr. DJ for my brother's 50th birthday party, playing all the older music from my brother's collection.  It was fantastic.

ETA:  And my brother still uses an antenna for TV up at his camp, although the TV doesn't go on very much because we are usually so busy doing stuff during the day and playing cards and games in the evening.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »
i chose landline phone (both at home and at work) and fax (work).

my former job (that i left about 5 years ago) had a typewriter because there was one form that we used that had to be filled in by type writer (i'm drawing a blank on what the form was). at least that's what i was told when i got the job. one day i decided to see what happens if i fill in the form in pen and it was fine (I'm assuming that someone misrepresented a word somewhere - it may have said "print only" and they thought it was "type only" or something).

I own a big fat radio that has a tape recorder (with two cassettes) and a CD player but none of those work, just the radio. I own a bunch of records but no record player.

our fax machine at work is a fax/printer/scanner/copier.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
We have a turntable with a USB connection so that we can eventually transfer our vinyl to mp3. 

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Landline and tv antenna, both at home.  The landline is so I can work from home.  I need to forward my work number, and my cell has an out of town area code.  The TV antenna is because we don't watch much TV.
Not such a newbie anymore

KarenK

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
We have an antenna because we don't have cable and get all our TV over the air.

I still use a fax because in the healthcare world, it's considered the best way to transfer medical records from one place to another in the most secure manner - no electronic copy and the end product can not be altered.

I have a DVD/VCR recorder, but for some reason, my TV does not have any video out ports. I need to figure out how to record things before the next NASCAR Sprint Cup night race comes on. I'm thinking a combination of converter box and old TV set up.

I got rid of my typewriter at work, but I wish I hadn't. My handwriting is awful and some things just cannot be done on the computer.

I miss my DVR more than cable, actually.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
One thing I was hoping would be on the list that wasn't was a 3.5" floppy.  It was quite recently that I used a Floppy to transfer some 10-year-old documents from an old laptop to my new computer (via my desktop computer).

The USB port wasn't recognizing my memory stick and the old laptop doesn't have the ability to connect wirelessly or via ethernet.  (It also still runs Windows 95).  I ended up using the 3.5" floppy to move the files to my desktop computer, and was then able to use my home network to move the files to my current laptop and copy them to my backup drive.

Added floppy disk/drive to the poll!

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »
I don't have cable. I don't watch much TV at all. Some select shows like the Super Bowl & the Oscars. DH watches the news and some sports. Other than that, my TV is just a vehicle to display DVDs or internet. So Antenna was the only thing I checked.

We do have fax machines at work (actually printers that can fax) but I never use the fax so I didn't count that.

And I do still have VHS tapes I took of my kids when they were little. It's on my "list of things to do" to digitize them. I have the VCR set up and connected to my computer and the applicable software, it's just a matter of actually sitting there and doing it. I didn't check off VHS though, because it's not something I regularly use. I've just been slow about converting.

I also actually have an old typewriter. It was the one my father used for years and it was old when he acquired it so it's a pretty neat piece. It sits on display on my bookshelf. Since it's just for display, I didn't check that off either.

And lastly, I have all my old albums and a turntable but I never actually play them. I cannot get rid of them because, well, because! They're my old albums! But who's gonna get the turntable out and listen to one side of an album at a time when I can listen to as many full albums as I want to (and exclude the songs I don't like) on my computer!? Not me.