71 (12.4%)
35mm Camera
30 (5.2%)
Floppy disk and drive
8 (1.4%)
Tube Television
20 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Do you still use...?  (Read 3257 times)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
Re: Do you still use...?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »
Ha, this is timely. Something I ordered arrived yesterday, and the warranty card instructs to fax it in within 30 days. Fax?? Is it 1980? :P

(We do have a fax machine at work, so I could fax it from there. But honestly?)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »
I have an all-in-one printer at home, so we have a landline for the fax machine. We very rarely ever use our landline for phones. We do have an answering machine hooked up to it and all we ever get are spam calls.  And we do have a combo DVD/VCR, but hardly ever watch a tape. We use it primarily to copy tapes to DVD but now that we've done that with most of our tapes we use it even less.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
When the landline became more expensive than our unlimited cell plan, we had it disconnected. That was 12 years ago. Our VCR and VHS tapes were in storage and did not do well in our climate, even though it was dry in there. We have DH' high school graduation, DS' first steps and a few other things on tape that I will make a project of converting to digital.

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »
I don't use any of those.

demarco

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
We still have a landline, mainly because DH has to be reachable for his job and we aren't acclimated well enough to our cell phones to always have them charged and always know where they are. One of the first things I plan to do when DH retires is cancel the landline.

We still have a cassette player and phonograph because we use them to transfer vinyl and cassettes to mp3s.

I didn't check this because we use it so infrequently but we do still have a VCR. We have a video that the seller of one of our puppies sent us in 1992 showing the puppy at three ages (something like 10 days, 2 weeks and four weeks). The video is priceless to us. We've never gotten around to transferring it. (We don't have the equipment and I'm afraid to let it out of our sight.)  I imagine we'll be hauling that VCR around with us for the rest of our lives, just for the sake of that video.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
We still have a landline, mainly because DH has to be reachable for his job and we aren't acclimated well enough to our cell phones to always have them charged and always know where they are. One of the first things I plan to do when DH retires is cancel the landline.

We still have a cassette player and phonograph because we use them to transfer vinyl and cassettes to mp3s.

I didn't check this because we use it so infrequently but we do still have a VCR. We have a video that the seller of one of our puppies sent us in 1992 showing the puppy at three ages (something like 10 days, 2 weeks and four weeks). The video is priceless to us. We've never gotten around to transferring it. (We don't have the equipment and I'm afraid to let it out of our sight.)  I imagine we'll be hauling that VCR around with us for the rest of our lives, just for the sake of that video.

Videos do degrade (my mum took a bunch of our old Disney tapes into her school for rainy playtimes, and found that only a few still work). So, you should look into transferring that film!

Belle

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
I have to use the fax at work perhaps twice per year, and I never understand why companies are still using them. My favorite was when I was speaking with a gentleman on the phone who had an electronic file (a Microsoft Word document or something similar) that he wanted to send to me. He asked if I had a fax machine, so that he could print the document and fax it to me. When I suggested that he simply email the file to me, instead of printing it and faxing it, he seemed surprised by the idea. We work for the same institution, so I know he had email.

I am always a late-adopter of technology, but this was 2013!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
I've used a fax recently, though I don't actually have one, I had to go to an office store (I think Staples) and pay to use it. Hassle. Usually I just scan and email, but apparently that wasn't secure enough...or something.

I still listen to records, and I have a cassette player that converts to CD (which is what I use it for) and a VHS player that converts to DVD (also what we use it for).

I kind of want a land line. Mostly to call my cell phone when I loose it.

perpetua

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
I still use a landline because I need one for my broadband, although I don't actually make many calls on it because I have minutes included on my mobile package (I use it for calling numbers that aren't included in my mobile minutes though, like 0845 numbers).

I've got an indoor TV antenna - there's no ariel socket in my flat.

Belle

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 01:15:52 PM »
I kind of want a land line. Mostly to call my cell phone when I loose it.

This is what I use our landline for 99% of the time. It also weeds out telemarketers, because I use the home phone for all business accounts and puchases. I usually don't pick up the home phone, because the only people that call are telemarketers and my mom (who will call my cell if I don't answer the home). We also have the landline because our home alarm system runs through it (cheaper than a wireless alarm).

Clockwork Banana

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Hee.  I just yesterday came across a shoebox of cassettes that I had saved out of hundreds I got rid of easily a decade ago.  These ones I saved because they were mainly obscure artists or compilations made by friends.  So I had myself a grand old evening of reliving old memories and thoroughly enjoying myself.  Of course, a lot of the artists I was able to track down on YouTube and also on a couple of the online radio stations, something that would not have been possible ten years ago, so I kind of doubt I will give the cassettes much more play time.

I still have a landline.   I do not like talking on the phone much, so I do not feel the need to have a portable device, and I am far too cheap to want a smart phone with online capability etc.  If I am out and about and feel the need for distraction, a book will do me just fine.  Also, my ISP gives me the land line for practically nothing ($10 a month) as a bit of a loyal customer perk, so it works for my lifestyle.

I cancelled my cable a few months ago and upgraded my internet connection (MUCH cheaper).  I was quite surprised to find that with the cable still plugged into the back o the TV, I still get a few channels coming in clear as a bell.  This is much different from days of yore when I did not have cable. No antenna necessary! I have not actually bothered to watch anything now that the DVR is gone, because I dončt have the patience to sit through commercials, but it is good to know the option is there.

Vall

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 03:08:53 PM »
I voted for a landline and VCR.  I forgot that I have a cassette player in my car because I don't use it often.  I tried to update my vote but it won't let me.

I've never had a cell phone but I'm sure that someday I'll have to get one.  I've been updating our movies to DVDs but I still have a long way to go.  Our VCR is starting to go out and I'm not going to buy another one.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »
We have a TV antenna but only in guest room. It's one of those small ones. We didn't want to pay to have a DVR/cable box in there since it only gets used infrequently. But I think its important to have a TV with a least local channels in the guest room so our guests can watch the news in their room.

We also have a landline.

Margo

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
I still have a land line - partly because when I upgraded my internet package it was cheaper to have broadband + TV + landline than to have just Broadband + TV, and partly because reception is not good here.

We have landlines at work, and also have fax machines - there are some documents (mainly from mortgage companies) which can't be sent electronically.

Until a month ago I had a cassette player (it was in my car, which was, sadly, written off recently following an accident). I had an adaptor so I could use it to connect my ipod to the speakers.

I got rid of my VHS player as part of my decluttering-to-sell-my-house, as I realised I literally could not remember the last time I used it. I got rid of my VHS tapes at the same time, and ended up taking them to the local tip/recycling centre. 

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 04:04:03 PM »
I just disconnected the fax line at work.  We rarely need it.  Seems like we only received junk faxes, and that was $600/year that could be spent elsewhere.

I still have a landline at work and at home.  At home, because so many accounts are connected to it, and I wouldn't like to give out my cell phone number for that reason.  So the landline at home kind of functions as a spam filter.