71 (12.4%)
35mm Camera
30 (5.2%)
Floppy disk and drive
8 (1.4%)
Tube Television
20 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Do you still use...?  (Read 3337 times)

staceym

Re: Do you still use...?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
Still have a landline phone - don't think I'll ever just depend on just my cellphone at home.

Still have a typewriter at work that I use almostly daily.  I use them to type up mailing labels and envelopes.  If I have to do a lot of them then I use the computer and print out labels, but 2 or 3 I use the typewriter.  Also use it sometimes to fill out a one time form.

I have a DVD/VCR player in one room that I occassionally use the VCR to watch a movie I hadn't bought in a DVD version.

eta:  I should add that we still "fax" at work.  But the faxing is done via computers and the copier/printer.  We don't have an actual fax machine.  And any faxes that come in (and yes we still get them every once in a while) come in electronically to my email and then I forward them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:23:52 PM by staceym »

Ereine

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
My work has one client who still faxes (though she also emails the same files, for some reason that possibly makes sense to her). Apart from that the only thing on the list is 35 mm film, but not like I did ten years ago before I bought my first digital camera. These days I only use film for black and white experiments with old manual cameras I've bought in second hand stores.

veronaz

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
I still have a landline phone because if my cellphone is lost or stolen (or not functioning for whatever season) I don’t want to be without communication.  It’s very basic – local or toll-free calls only, no frills, and I keep the ringer turned off because nobody calls me on the landline.

Got rid of record player, albums, 45s, VCR about 10 years ago.

Still have some cassettes and a player in a closet but haven’t played them in years.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:53:34 PM by veronaz »

magicdomino

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »
I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century as various electronics die.  The record player never did play well with the new receiver, which ended up on Craigslist anyway because it was too big to share a shelf with the new TV, much less fit in the stereo cabinet.  The current computers don't have 3.5 floppy drives.  The 35mm camera weighed a ton, was getting persnickety, and wasn't exactly the finest of cameras in the first place.  The truck that I bought in 2004 had a CD drive instead of a cassette one, and the stereo cassette player went out the door when the receiver did.

On the other hand, the TV antenna works very nicely, my landline works better than my cell phone, and the answering machine does a good job of screening phone calls.

I still have the records and the cassette tapes.  Some day, I'm going to get one of those all-in-one players that also have a built-in USB drive for copying.  The California Raisins Christmas Album will play again!   :D

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
I checked off landline phone, which I have at home. I like it and see no reason to get rid of it. I like that it will keep working even if the electricity to the building goes out (so I've been told). I also have a cell phone that I use frequently when I'm on the go but for whatever reason the reception isn't that great sometimes, so if I'm going to sit down at home and really CALL someone, I use the landline.

That's the only thing, though. Now, my mom would've checked landline phone and VCR, at least until very recently--she finally got rid of her combo DVD/VCR player, but had used it so much that the VCR part broke and she had worn out several tapes from watching them.

We do have a fax machine at work but I haven't used it in years--it's interesting how many businesses still use faxes, though. I guess technically my all-in-one printer at home has a fax machine in it, but I've never used it as such; I use just the scanner 98% of the time.
~Lynn2000

Editeer

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 06:00:06 PM »
Landline at home.
Cassette player in one car.
Record player used once in a blue moon.

I think we have a VCR-DVD combo player.

I *have* an electric typewriter, but I didn't select it, because it hasn't even been turned on in 20 years.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:15 PM »
I have a 21st Century Antenna. I subscribe to Aereo and rent a micro antenna and remote DVR. I can record anything broadcast in Houston and watch it when I want over the internet.

I also have a digital antenna for if a storm knocks out my internet, but I have electricity I can watch the news.

I don't have cable because I'm a cord cutter.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:18 AM »
My wife and I have a landline, 3.5 and 5.25 floppy drives in a 286 and a 486 (one runs a timing software for the slot car track), our printer has a fax which I have used a few times in the last month, turntable, vcr/dvd combo and we have watched tapes recently, and I have a 35mm camera.

I also have a couple of slide rules ...

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »
I have a landline phone. Cell phone reception isn't good in most of my town, and it's pretty bad in my house. I can make and receive calls, but the connection is never any good. So the landline stays for the time being.

My grandmother's 1931 typewriter sits in my study. Would you believe that modern typewriter ribbons still fit it and work? I last used it two years ago to fill out a government form that wasn't available on-line.

My printer is also a fax machine. I do some freelance work and I have one client who insists on getting both an email and a fax of the finished job.

My car has a cassette player and I have an adapter for my iPod. The sound quality is better than those adapters that wirelessly play over the car radio.

And I still have a record player (turntable). I have both vinyl records and cassettes with music/groups that I have not been able to find on CD or digitally. In fact, I got a new turntable two years ago that allowed me to convert my vinyl to audio files so I could finally get that music on my iPod. But I still like to play the actual records. And while the new tvs have better sound than the older ones, I've also routed the sound from the tv through my 30 year old stereo, and it sounds awesome. (And the whole setup kind of impressed the 20-something young man who came to install a new cable box a few months ago. We had a long chat on the merits/demerits  of vinyl.)

And finally, there's a working VCR in the house. I still have some tapes that various family members have made of their families and kids, which at some point I need to convert to DVD.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
I think the reason DH and I don't have cassettes or a cassette player any more is age, degradation of the tapes and space.

We have a 32" flat panel television and I love it. It has great sound and takes up much less room than the old tube televisions.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
You should add old tube tvs into the quiz, as well.  I have one -- it's got a great picture and works beautifully.  I'm not going to replace it because it's not trendy.  Since there is only one of me in the house, I see no reason to have more than one tv either. 
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »
We've got a tube tv that's really not that old, but when we bought it, flat screens were still way more expensive. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Added.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 10:21:08 AM »
I use my dad's 50's typewriter for scrapbook pages.  We have a VCR and about 40 tapes we still watch occasionally.  I have a tape player and 100 tapes (which are failing quickly).  Dh uses the fax machine a lot for work.  And we still have a lardline because I hate talking on a flat cellphone.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

snowfire

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
I still have my Selectric typewriter.  Occasionally use it for mailing labels or forms, but I admit, I haven't used it in a year or so.

Still have a turntable.  I have a LOT of vinyl & some very old 78 rpm records from my folks.  Most of those have not been released on CD & I haven't had the time to do the conversion.

I have a VCR/DVD combo.  I have been trying to convert my tapes to disc to preserve them, but have not done all of them. (Also still have a laser disc player b/c we bought into that tech when it came out & I don't really want to spend $$$ to replace all the movies.)

35mm camera.  Have two very nice Olympus bodies & lenses.  Haven't used them in a while, but I did get an Olympus digital so that I could still use my good lenses when I want to.

Landline.  It is bundled with my internet service.  I also like one that will work with no power.  While most of the phones in the house are cordless, I still have one corded phone.  (I also have a General class Ham license & volunteer during emergencies.)

We are transitioning over to flat panel TV's as the tube ones die.  Our house is now all flat panel. One of our tube sets is up at our cabin where we don't get good reception anyway so we just use it with an Xbox for movies or games, the other went to my Mom's house for her bedroom when hers went toes up.

Still have a cassette player in one car and a deck in our stereo gear.  Yet another project is converting my music cassettes to MP3....