71 (12.4%)
35mm Camera
30 (5.2%)
Floppy disk and drive
8 (1.4%)
Tube Television
20 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Do you still use...?  (Read 3253 times)

BigBadBetty

Re: Do you still use...?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
I kind of want a land line. Mostly to call my cell phone when I loose it.

Do you have an android phone? You can send a ring to your phone even if your ringer is off from android device manager.  I love it.

I have a tape player in my car and don't use it. I have a landline and fax at my work, but I could easily function without either. The fax is part of a large printer and scanner. We use an antenna at my boyfriend's house.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
We have a combo DVD/VHS player, though the DVD side doesn't work anymore and when that went we bought a Blu-Ray player that will play regular DVDs. I suspect there will come a time when DVDs go the way of the vhs.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
We bought a Blu-ray DVD player when our old one died. We are buying all our new movies as Blu-ray, but can watch all the standard DVDs as well.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
The only option I checked was landline phone, and that is only at work.  We had a landline where we lived before, but never used it, so now my cell is my only phone.

Although I don't use a record player. my son, age 17, buys *only* vinyl.  He has a very nice turn table his cousin bought him for his birthday a couple years ago. His dad and I gave him our sizable old album collections, but he listens mostly to the albums he buys himself. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Girly

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »
I have an online fax service - I have a 1-800 fax number, and all faxes received go directly to my email.

When I need to send a fax, I just upload a PDF file to their online thing, and it faxes it for me.

None of the others, though.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »
I said land-line phone and tube TV, but my favorite camera is a 35 mm Nikon that I will probably use again. It's my favorite and takes wonderful pictures.
I love type writers but am such a lousy typist that I wouldn't want to use one again. 
I forgot that I do have a cassette player for the car.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Shea

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 08:07:39 PM »
I don't use any of these things (though I had a landline until last year) but I do have a mildly amusing story. I work at a university library, and last year I got a call from a fellow with a fairly strong accent (I'd guess Arabic or Farsi but I'm not sure) asking if we rented typewriters. Given his accent, I thought maybe there was a language issue and he meant laptops. After some back and forth, I confirmed that he did in fact mean typewriters and no, we did not have any, and unfortunately I had no idea where he could rent one. He seemed very surprised that we didn't have any. Then he asked if we had a VCR he could borrow. Negative on that as well, told him to check with tech services on the off chance they had one hanging around. He thanked me and hung up. I turned to a colleague, who'd been listening to the conversation from my end and said, "I think I just spoke to a time traveler from 1983."

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Landline is very handy for calling 1800 numbers and 13 numbers. They're very expensive to call from a mobile phone. On a landline they are free and the cost of a local call.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
This may be a transatlantic knowledge thing, but here in the US, my family each have a phone with unlimited calls, texts and data usage that in total is cheaper than the landline was per phone. Landline phones used to be cheap in the US, but with federal and state taxes and fees, they cost more than what I pay monthly per line.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
One printer is an-all-in-one with fax capability built in - we don't have a landline or VOIP to use it.  I do have ONE phone saved & set aside to use in an emergency, as long as we still have copper wiring to the house.  Once that underground copper wiring gets replaced by the phone company due to neighbors or storm damage, it won't work even in an emergency.

One old style TV that is NOT in use because we'd have to rent a digital adapter for it and we're already renting three (one in each bedroom) as well as the "free" cable box in the living room.

There is a floppy drive in a twelve year old computer, that is not in use (20gb hard drive running XP with 240mb of RAM) AND an external floppy disk drive that I keep if something ever knocks out my laptop, my external hard drive, and my flash drive with backup copies of the photos & embroidery machine files that were on the 3.5" disks.  I also have a gross or so of unused 5 1/4" floppy disks that were no longer in use by the time we unpacked after a move in 1992...

Have two VCRs, one is combination DVD & VCR player, a few blank tapes that have been used to "save" shows - but are getting a little worn.  And an entire book case of VCR tapes to watch - some of which we've bought duplicates of in DVD.  But some of them, we watched ONCE and never felt like watching that tape again.....

There is a micro cassette player around somewhere that used to be used to record meetings so that I could refresh my memory when my notes weren't legible enough....I have no idea where, though.  There are also cassette tapes but I'm not sure if there is any way to play them at all in the house....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
I know very few people who used a fax at home unless they had a home office. I was always amazed that the cheap printers I bought had that included.

We have never, since they were popular, been without businesses' fax for our educational, medical, banking, or home purchasing needs, and just a month ago we had a need for the state to fax something to another state for legal/welfare needs. I like to think that all business and government agencies will have them. They are much more secure for documents that going through the internet, as someone said above, and much quicker and more reliable than snail mail.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
I know very few people who used a fax at home unless they had a home office. I was always amazed that the cheap printers I bought had that included.

We have never, since they were popular, been without businesses' fax for our educational, medical, banking, or home purchasing needs, and just a month ago we had a need for the state to fax something to another state for legal/welfare needs. I like to think that all business and government agencies will have them. They are much more secure for documents that going through the internet, as someone said above, and much quicker and more reliable than snail mail.

As long as someone sends it to the correct area code & phone number.  As an insurance adjuster, I had an out of state lawyer getting extremely irate because some medical files had been faxed three times to our office over the past two weeks and they were NOT showing up on my desk.  He was threatening legal action for the delays to his client's medical treatment...

Turned out HIS handwriting had him sending the fax to another state (I recognized the area code as my ILs lived there) - I was amazed that there was a fax machine with the same phone number & only the first three digits of ten were different....he just about stuttered when I told him what the issue was, he was sending the paperwork (sensitive medical paperwork) to a random office in Texas instead of to the insurance company in another state half a continent away....

I gave him an "emergency" fax number (as in, don't pass this number out unless it's an emergency, even if it takes three days for something to get printed & delivered to your desk from the standard fax number lines & machines) and stood by that fax machine while the papers were sent.  I got them, confirmed that it was above my pay grade, and got it sent to another adjuster with specialized training.  I did not follow up on it after that - because I lacked important training.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

luna_elvellon

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »
My family still has a landline set up that still gets used pretty regularly, though we all have cell plans as well. I guess it's to keep minutes and spam down on our cells probably. The only reason I still use a VCR is because I still have a DVD/VCR combo and occasionally can only get certain older movies or shows from the library on VHS, though admittedly I usually just watch things on my computer these days.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
The only one I checked was the tube TV. Mr. Bottlecaps and I have a flatscreen in our bedroom, but we have a tube television in the living room. We almost never use it. Uncle Chatterbox uses it mostly for watching the news and his beloved crime shows, and football during fall. Every once in a while I get bored when Mr. Bottlecaps is at work, so I head out to the living room and watch a little "Law & Order" with Uncle.

Uncle Chatterbox just put a down payment on a flatscreen today though, so the tube TV is in it's last days. It kind of makes me sad - it's our one last piece of antiquated technology. Saying goodbye to it will be a little bittersweet, lol.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Oops!   I forgot about the tube tvs in my bedroom and my son's.  He seldom uses his, but I watch mine a lot.  I just got a brand new smart flat screen, in the living room, and I love it, but we mostly use it for Netflix, (and for Walking Dead!)  Son actually has a nice smaller flat screen, but it is in use as the monitor for his gaming computer.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical