71 (12.4%)
35mm Camera
30 (5.2%)
Floppy disk and drive
8 (1.4%)
Tube Television
20 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Do you still use...?  (Read 3092 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Do you still use...?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
We have a 23" and a 24" monitor on our desktop. Each can be used as a television.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »
Mr. Thipu loves his SLR although he does use a cell phone for casual photography.  We also have a land line because our calls to family are usually done on a speaker phone. 

We also have a turntable because we have a fairly large collection of vinyl and play it quite frequently. 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
I voted before tube TV was added to the list.

My DH gave me a small TV/VCR combination for our bedroom many years ago. It still works, and so does the VCR. Our cable company hooked it up to the cable so we are not dependent upon the rabbit ears antenna.

Lynn2000

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
I also voted before tube TV was added to the list. I have a GINORMOUS tube TV, something like 36". You can imagine the amount of space this thing takes up. I think it's about 13 years old. As long as it works and I don't move to a new house, I'm content to use it.
~Lynn2000

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
I had two tube TVs still.  I couldn't bring myself to toss out a perfectly good TV so I could get a flat screen.

My main TV blew one night.  The coaxial input fried somehow.  It also fried the coax output on the DVR.

I packed up the DVR and headed to the electronics store.  I ended up with a great salesman and he hooked my DVR up using an HDMI cable and it still worked!  So I bought a new, decent name brand LCD and a couple of HDMI cables for what I felt was a decent price.  In and out, home and set up inside an hour.

Old TV is sitting in my basement until I can get it to the electronics recycler, along with a few other things.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
The only reason the tube TV didn't come with us is the weight and going up stairs to the living room. It has been donated to a family with no TV.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 01:54:30 AM »
We've got a tube tv that's really not that old, but when we bought it, flat screens were still way more expensive.
Geez, I'm older than I thought. :(  When I read "tube TV" I wasn't thinking CRT "picture tube" but "vacuum tube." 

In the old days, children, there was no microcircuitry as there is today.  Televisions (and computers!) used to have things in them kind of like heavy-duty light bulbs, called vacuum tubes, that took the place of circuitry. (Don't ask me how they did this, because I don't know.)  Like light bulbs, they burned out from time to time and had to be replaced.  As you can imagine, this was a nuisance.  You either called a repairman, or you opened up the TV, removed all the tubes but the picture tube, and took them down to the TV repair place, where you tested them one by one until you found out which one was bad.  Then you bought a new one of the right size, took them home, and hoped that you were replacing them correctly.  Often enough, you didn't, and incurred a repairman's visit anyway.  (Alternatively, you could remove just the one that you thought was bad, and test that.  If it was good, you got to go home, remove another one, and go back to the TV repair shop.  Repeat until you hit on the right one.) 

All the iterations of "you" here are aimed at the gentlemen, BTW.  Ladies and children, being creatures of non-mechanical aptitude, were either excused or forbidden from monkeying with the television's innards.

The sheer nuisance of this is why, with the exception of my ILs, the rest of the world gladly leaped on solid-state circuitry televisions when they were introduced in the late 60's or early 70's.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:56:32 AM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 05:26:40 AM »
Nope, none of the above!

The last to go was the landline, in fact *technically* it's still connected, we just don't have a phone plugged in.  The only person who really called us on it was my mother, once per week.   Then in early 2013 once I was home during the day with my infant son I discovered we actually get plenty of calls - from telemarketers, charity collectors and scammers.  Everyday.   I'm not somebody who is rude to telemarketers, but this was getting incredibly frustrating and upsetting, particularly as occasionally I'd get the ones who were rude to *me* for no reason!  (Seriously, don't call me and then be rude!)   After an occasion where I literally threw the phone across the room in a frustrated rage and the back fell off and batteries fell out, I realised it would be quite peaceful if I didn't bother putting the batteries back in at all...   so eventually it went flat, and then at some point DH unplugged the actual base, and now it's a distant memory.  My life is so peaceful without that darn phone!   The only sad part is my mother is struggling to adjust to skype so we don't talk as frequently anymore. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
I am very glad to have posted this thread. 71% of ehellions who voted have a land line phone.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2014, 09:20:56 PM »
I am very glad to have posted this thread. 71% of ehellions who voted have a land line phone.

When I view results it says 32%?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
The number of votes/ number of voters. I think the 32% is out of all votes for any option.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2014, 06:18:54 AM »
The number of votes/ number of voters. I think the 32% is out of all votes for any option.

Ah gotcha!