Author Topic: Didn't remember the words until I was in the parking lot.  (Read 3625 times)

saffron

Didn't remember the words until I was in the parking lot.
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
So.... I had one of those moments today where this phrase would have been *perfect* had I remembered to use it.

I was in line at the pharmacy at Target today picking up a prescription when an older lady got in line behind me. There were 2 people in front of me and it was taking a few extra minutes because of a new computer system.

Anyway - this lady gets in line behind me and says "if you knew what I was here for you would let me go ahead of you"

Ummmm.... no.

A few point- and I realize that this is totally irrelevant - but still:

-  I was picking up a new medication for some joint pain because the other medication wasn't working. I was not waiting for the prescription to be filled, it was already in a little bag with my name on it ready to go.
-  I had my toddler with me who refused to sit in the cart and was starting to get antsy
-  I pulled a back muscle yesterday and was in a fair bit of pain

Anyway - I ignored her at which point she started talking about her foot issue that was making her have to lean on her cart. She was quite obviously waiting for me to do the 'polite' thing and let her go ahead. Honestly though, all I could think was that if her foot hurt so much - why wasn't she using one of the motorized carts they have available?

When the clerk called the next person I went ahead and completed my transaction - but it kind of irked me that she would assume that her foot issue was more painful/important than anyone else's issue. I mean really, when your'e in line at the pharmacy *everyone* has an issue. That's why you're there.

All that to say - it wasn't until I was in the parking lot that I realized that I should have said "what an interesting assumption"

purple

Re: Didn't remember the words until I was in the parking lot.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
I think your silence (because I assume from your post that you said nothing) was a perfectly well-mannered and appropriate response also.

coolio

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
I think your silence (because I assume from your post that you said nothing) was a perfectly well-mannered and appropriate response also.

POD

It is almost a don't engage the crazy moment as well.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
I'm with them ^.  :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
I work with one of these types of people. Nothing can ever be as bad or worse than what she has been through.

You did well and I hope you are feeling better.

lakey

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
You reacted correctly. It's best to ignore. A lot of people who are picking up prescriptions are in pain or discomfort. I've picked up prescriptions on the way home from hospital stays for surgery, after dental surgery, after retinal surgery, after having broken my foot, and so on. She's not as unusual as she seemed to think. In addition to her prescription, she should have bought some crutches, and maybe a cane. Then the next time she can use them when she has to stand in line at the pharmacy. I have a pair of crutches and I've relied on them a few times already. The last time was because I twisted my foot while gardening.

saffron

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
I know you're right and that silence was fine - but it's funny how I felt rude because I didn't verbally respond. I will admit she may have gotten a raised eyebrow from me but only because I have a terrible poker face. I guess part of the reason that I love these phrases so much is that it allows an acknowledgement of the person's position while still maintaining a firm and polite stance of your own. If only I could remember them 'in the moment'....

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
My first thought was that she was trying to imply she had something horribly contagious. Yes, if someone has Ebola, I'll probably let them go ahead of me. In fact, I'll leave the store.

Either that, or projectile vomiting. I'd let someone with that go ahead of me. Otherwise, everyone in the line probably feels not so good.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

whatsanenigma

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
I know you're right and that silence was fine - but it's funny how I felt rude because I didn't verbally respond. I will admit she may have gotten a raised eyebrow from me but only because I have a terrible poker face. I guess part of the reason that I love these phrases so much is that it allows an acknowledgement of the person's position while still maintaining a firm and polite stance of your own. If only I could remember them 'in the moment'....

Well, if she had actually asked the question, "May I please go ahead of you because...." then to not say anything in return probably would have been rude.  Whether the answer was "yes" or "no", you should have given her one.

However, that's not what she did.  She basically just made a random comment out of the blue. IMHO,  If you want something, you need to ask for it.  Maybe you will get it and maybe you won't, but when people do that PA thing, hinting around, I think that's just annoying and sometimes is even childish.

I think, if anything, I would have said back to her, "Oh, really?" or something noncommittal like that, as if she had said, "I think they've painted the pharmacy walls since I was last here...I thought they were yellow but now they are pink." Or any other random comment.

But most probably, I would have just pretended I didn't hear her.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »
"Would you like me to hold your place in line while you find a seat?" Some pharmacies provide chairs for their infirm customers to sit on while they wait.

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »
My first thought was that she was trying to imply she had something horribly contagious. Yes, if someone has Ebola, I'll probably let them go ahead of me. In fact, I'll leave the store.

Either that, or projectile vomiting. I'd let someone with that go ahead of me. Otherwise, everyone in the line probably feels not so good.

Haha! That's what I was thinking. Only I was sort of picturing emissions from the other end.

Anyway, I agree that silence was probably a better reaction because why invite further comment from her? I think you were better off ignoring her and going on about your business.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 01:45:02 AM »
I was thinking diarrhea or vomiting.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
"And if you knew what *I* was here for, you wouldn't try that stunt."

Not that I would ever say that, but still.....good on you for keeping mum.