Author Topic: Men usually don't garden  (Read 1859 times)

magicdomino

Re: Men usually don't garden
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
Adrian Higgins, the Washington Post gardening columnist, would find this surprising.

I have to admit though, I never had many male neighbors who were interested in anything besides the lawn, and maybe a vegetable garden.  Flowers have tended to be planted by women.  Then again, this is a very small sample since there aren't many people in the neighborhood who are into gardening in general. 

doodlemor

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Maybe her husband put this idea in her head because he is too lazy to do it?

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Adrian Higgins, the Washington Post gardening columnist, would find this surprising.

I have to admit though, I never had many male neighbors who were interested in anything besides the lawn, and maybe a vegetable garden.  Flowers have tended to be planted by women.  Then again, this is a very small sample since there aren't many people in the neighborhood who are into gardening in general.
Yes, so would renowned gardening expert Jerry Baker. And the PNW's own wacky plant guy, Ciscoe Morris.

The yard was always my dad's domain. Of course, he wanted all grass and bark, while my mom wanted flowers...
maybe the neighbor in the OP pictures delicately misting the pwetty flowers as "gardening," instead of wielding big machines like mowers, weedwackers, edgers, chippers and hedge trimmers (not that women can't do this too).
Notice how many gardening commercials show a guy lording over the yard? And guys are always shown using the big tools and machines while the women are all kneeling and planting flowers? ::)

Obviously gardening is for whoever has the passion and knack for it.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

TeamBhakta

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
It's very common in my circle for men to post on Facebook "Here's pics of what I planted in my spring garden. Daisies, roses, squash, peppers, basil, etc. My sunflowers have grown pretty fast already. I used the basil when I baked bread last night."

*I'm really disappointed with the NY Times. They act surprised these men my age were interested in plants, saying you get interested in gardening when you qualify for Medicare Part B  ??? I also disliked the whole "look how nerdy they are, one didn't have many teenage dates" angle. So rude  :P
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/garden/botanys-new-boys.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:12:08 AM by TeamBhakta »