Author Topic: Disney World May 2014  (Read 1344 times)

katiescarlett

Disney World May 2014
« on: March 20, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
So, we (my parents, sister (age 8), another sister (26), and 5 year old nephew) are going to Disney World in May.  Our trip is paid off, and includes airfare, hotels, park hopper tickets.  We opted out of the dining plan.  We will be staying at the Art of Animation Resort, and using the shuttles to get from park to park.  So, thankfully, no rental car or gas to worry about.  We last went there 15 years ago for two years in a row, so I have more than enough souvenirs from that time.  I plan on taking a refillable water bottle and a few snacks in my small backpack along with my camera to the parks every day.  Right now, I have about a thousand dollars saved for food and spending money.  How much more do you all recommend for one person for one week for mainly food?  (I will also have my debit and credit cards, and will get paid while I am there, so access to even more money)  I wanted to be able to bring about 1500.

BioformCassie

• My Etsy Store
Re: Disney World May 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »
Are you planning on doing more of the quick dining or the sit down type meals? Quick service meals are in the $12 range I would say by the time you do food and a drink. Sit down dining is closer to twice that and maybe even then some (24-30ish without tip). Are you doing any character dining things because they are usually closer to the $50 a person from what I've seen. Edited to add that most of the parks don't have filtered water or cooled water. The stuff out of water fountains will be borderline hot enough to make oatmeal with and very sulfery. The only one that seems to have filtered water out of the fountains is Animal kingdom. So a brita water bottle will make a good companion though it won't do anything for the temperature.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:29:49 PM by BioformCassie »

katiescarlett

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I think we plan on maybe two character restaurants.  We probably won't do much nice sit down restaurants (unless one or two adults can get away from kiddos, and I am the only one kid-free going).  We will mostly eat in the parks and at the resort.  We will go to Chef Mickey's (pretty sure it's still there, I last ate there in 1999) and not sure where else.  Cinderella's Castle has no openings for reservations.  At least I only have to worry about myself, and as I don't really want souvenirs, I will spend less money.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
I live here and am an Annual Passholder. I think that $1000 should more than suffice for food, even the sit down dining.

May I ask why you chose not to get the meal plan? It is a more reasonable cost per meal that way.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
Oh, and you can make reservations for dining through my Disney experience dot com. Things do open up. I suggest having brunch or lunch for one meal at Boma at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. We go every few months.

SadieBaby

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
We go to Disney almost every year, sometimes more than once.  I think $1000 will be plenty for one person's meals and incidentals for a week, even at Disney World.  The refillable bottle will save you money, but the water in the parks does vary as to drinkability.   Once in a while you find a fountain that dispenses pretty cold water, but not often.  I agree that the water isn't the best tasting but being cold helps. 

We also prefer to skip the dining plan.  We had it once when it first came out and it didn't fit the way we eat, which seems more like the way you will be having meals -- one or two sit-downs and the rest counter service.  Even when it's free we don't take it, because we can get a discount on the room instead, which works out much better for us.  There are Disney forums where you can ask questions too, notably the DisBoards and WDWMAGIC.   

Have fun!  May can be a very nice time to go since it isn't as hot as later in the summer.  We've been down in May a number of times.  Oh, and be sure you make yourself familiar with the new fastpass system.  Not everyone likes the idea of booking rides in advance (we're a little ambivalent about it) but it doesn't cost anything and it's a fact of life at Disney World now.  Planning is important to get the most out of your trip.

katiescarlett

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
ladyknight, my mother and sister made the arrangements with the travel agent, so they made the decision on the dining.  They just told me how much my part was.  Which is fine with me, I am 34, full time student, and full time employee, with absolutely NO free time, so I told them whatever they decided was fine with me, especially since I have been there twice already. 

I think we had insulated water bottles last time that we filled with ice in the mornings, and they stayed decently cool all day.  Not perfect, as we went in July the last two times and it was so hot and humid.  (Okies here, used to heat and humidity, lol)

I didn't know about reserving rides!  That is awesome.  Thanks for the info!  I must admit to not being extremely excited for the trip (too busy right now to think about it), but the kids are beside themselves with excitement, especially my nephew.  I am looking forward to seeing them have fun, though.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
I'm 45, but a full time student and full time employee as well.

You will have a good time and you can always ask any of the counter service locations for ice water in a cup that can be transferred to a bottle.

I love the plan ahead rides!

katiescarlett

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
I'm 45, but a full time student and full time employee as well.

You will have a good time and you can always ask any of the counter service locations for ice water in a cup that can be transferred to a bottle.

I love the plan ahead rides!

Ah, so you understand the extreme exhaustion all the time and young classmates who don't understand why you make better grades than they do.  Especially because they have to work all the time, those 10 hours a week.  Lol.  I actually love all my classmates.  They are all really great students and we study together a lot.

I do think the trip will be a blast.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
We gave up our annual passes in January because of my schedule.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »

I think we had insulated water bottles last time that we filled with ice in the mornings, and they stayed decently cool all day.  Not perfect, as we went in July the last two times and it was so hot and humid.  (Okies here, used to heat and humidity, lol)

If your hotel has a fridge/freezer, try freezing water bottles ( don't fill up to the tippy-top); they defrost as you go along.
Have a great time!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

penguinladi

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
My husband and I are DVC members and go to Disneyworld 2-3 times a year.  I carry a refillable water bottle and get refills for free from any counter service place.  I try to go when they aren't swamped and just ask for a cup of ice water and fill up my water bottle so I don't have to carry to cup around.

Also, my husband and I do a sit down meal most days with counter service or snacks the rest of the time.  We can usually get by for about $1500 for the 2 of us if I don't spend too much money buying things for the grandson!

POF

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Also the meals can be really large - so we always split a meal and then ate more later.  I also found the dining plan restrictive ... but DH gets all hepped up on the cost of food.....

At Magic Kingdom - there is a place in tomorrow land that has a 1/2 roasted chx dinner that is huge and easy to split.

We also would eat our larger meal for breakfast - which can be less expensive .... mmmm tonga toast .....

also - if you go to the water parks - I can not recommend the mini hot donuts enough !

MissRose

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
Also the meals can be really large - so we always split a meal and then ate more later.  I also found the dining plan restrictive ... but DH gets all hepped up on the cost of food.....

At Magic Kingdom - there is a place in tomorrow land that has a 1/2 roasted chx dinner that is huge and easy to split.

We also would eat our larger meal for breakfast - which can be less expensive .... mmmm tonga toast .....

also - if you go to the water parks - I can not recommend the mini hot donuts enough !

Yes, the chicken & ribs meal at MK is good.  My mother, me and my niece/nephew split one of those meals, and we all ate well.  Most of the meals we got were a size for 2 people to share, so I would share with one child and my mother with the other.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
Look up the new Fastpass Plus and see how it works.

We loved the Magic Bands.

Sleepy Hollow Care in the Magic Kingdom makes a great sweet chicken bbq waffle sandwich.