Author Topic: Disney World May 2014  (Read 1338 times)

katiescarlett

Re: Disney World May 2014
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
Ohhh...thank you for all the good info!  A lot of things have changed in the 15 years since I have been there!  Everyone else paid off their trip yesterday, so now just waiting for May 23rd!  After looking up all the stuff y'all have been telling me about, I am beginning to get a bit excited for the trip, finally.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »
Wanted to add that there are several sites that show the menus of WDW restaurants like This one. this can give you an idea of food choices and prices. Also, depending on your group's waking up time, you might want to choose less traditional times for lunch ( say 11 or 2) in order to avoid the crowds. And read the reviews and tips - for example I remember reading somewhere that you can buy individual items from the "bundled" meals , e.g., a burger with fries you can ask them to leave off the fries and pay less.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

katiescarlett

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 02:46:49 AM »
Wanted to add that there are several sites that show the menus of WDW restaurants like This one. this can give you an idea of food choices and prices. Also, depending on your group's waking up time, you might want to choose less traditional times for lunch ( say 11 or 2) in order to avoid the crowds. And read the reviews and tips - for example I remember reading somewhere that you can buy individual items from the "bundled" meals , e.g., a burger with fries you can ask them to leave off the fries and pay less.

Thanks, cicero!  I imagine we will be getting up pretty early, as we will be traveling with two little kiddos who believe in waking up early when you don't have to.  (Unless it is a school day, lol)

POF

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 08:33:17 AM »
Also - don't be afraid to use cabs.... DH always felt they were an unnecessary expense .... but sometimes to get from one resort to another was very time consuming ( if we were going to a breakfast ) - cabs were at times less than $10 and saved lots of time and aggravation.

For the kiddo;s - go to Michaels and get the inexpensive glow sticks in the tubes.  These are a great buy and we would put a handful in our day bag.  This way - it was a fun and cheap alternative to the $$$$ things at the parades.  it also was fun on the long bus rides at nights to hand them out to little ones.  ( and kept down the fussing and whining factor ).

OK - I enjoyed them as well .....

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Also - don't be afraid to use cabs.... DH always felt they were an unnecessary expense .... but sometimes to get from one resort to another was very time consuming ( if we were going to a breakfast ) - cabs were at times less than $10 and saved lots of time and aggravation.

For the kiddo;s - go to Michaels and get the inexpensive glow sticks in the tubes.  These are a great buy and we would put a handful in our day bag.  This way - it was a fun and cheap alternative to the $$$$ things at the parades.  it also was fun on the long bus rides at nights to hand them out to little ones.  ( and kept down the fussing and whining factor ).

OK - I enjoyed them as well .....
Speaking of which - you can get el cheapo souvenirs, flip flops, rain ponchos, t shirts, sun hats, granola bars,  etc fro stores outside wdw, even in supermarkets, drug stores, etc. I know you said you don't need souvenirs but in case you need other items. Says the woman who spent mucho dollars on Tigger ponchos one rainy day...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

proudmama

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
One thing I would recommend is getting a few disposable ponchos.  Target sells them for about $1.25.  They are very compact, easy to throw into a backpack without taking up much space.  And you'll have them when it rains.  Beats spending $$$ on them in the park.  They are flimsy, but they worked well for us when we went last summer. 

Stirling

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »
We live about an hour from WDW.  We have annual passes and go all the time.  There have been a lot of changes the last couple of years.  The major one being the introduction of the Magic Bands.  This allows you to get fast passes for rides ahead of time.  I have notices that the standby lines have gotten very, very long because people are taking advantage of this.  Also, you need to make reservations months a head of time for popular resturants.  This can be done on the WDW website.  I would like to recommend going to disboards.com.  There is a lot of information there to help you plan and get the most out of your WDW adventure.  I hope this helps.

CinnaMom

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
There's a site that I've found to be a great resource, about visiting Disney World with autistic children. My DS isn't autistic but I found that it had great advice on places to rest, locations of lockers and restrooms, and other tips that just make your day(s) in the park a little easier.

Here's the link:

http://www.autismattheparks.com/

Nornster

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
We just got back from the Art of Animation earlier this month - we were there for four days and spent around $400 in food for two adults and a toddler. The food court at A of A is really good - not just the standard pizza and burgers. We ate there several times - my favorite was the tandoori chicken with naan bread and jasmine rice. And the Florida orange blossom beer! But they are renovating some dining rooms, so it did get a little crowded, even at off times.

You're probably staying in a family suite with a kitchenette, but even the standard rooms have little fridges, so you can buy yogurt, cereal and milk at the food court at night, and save yourself time in the morning with a quick breakfast.  Have fun, and pm me with any other questions about A of A spring '14!