Author Topic: Nostalgic foods  (Read 2095 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Nostalgic foods
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I think we've had a thread about foods that have changed for us but how about Easter/holiday treats?

Oddly I hated Peeps as a kid, now I like them.  Cadbury creme eggs? Let's just say I bought two boxes of them today. :) Chocolate bunnies yes but they have to be hollow. Robins eggs? Absolutely, I love malted milk balls! :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

veronaz

Re: Nostalgic foods
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
Cadbury creme eggs?

Love the Cadbury caramel eggs.  Bought 2 last week.  I'm afraid to buy more than a couple at a time.  After Easter CVS usually has a sale on all Cadbury candy, which can be good and bad at the same time.  :)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
Original Cadbury eggs I used to love.   It was one of the few candies that I've ever liked,  especially of the chocolate variety. Well,  I liked the Reeses PB eggs too. I find both now obnoxiously too sweet.

I pretty much loathed everything else.   I don't like anything with marshmallow and many things I found either much to sweet,  bitter,  or waxy. *** None of which are acceptable to my palate.

ETA : ***for those who don't know,  1. I'm a super taster,  2.  I have food texture issues.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:13:05 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

SheltieMom

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
Russell Stover is trying to kill me. I love their Dark Chocolate/Raspberry Whip eggs. This year, they've come up with a bunch of new flavors, including red velvet cake, brownie, and birthday cake. The best (or worst) is wedding cake flavor, which is covered in white chocolate.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
Hard candy easter eggs.  We used to get them as kids, and I haven't see one for years.

There were two sorts - the ultra hard ones that took weeks to eat, nibble here, suck a bit there.  They often had Valentines inside them too.

The other sort were a bit softer - more aerated, I think.  They still took a good long while to nibble through, but they were less damaging to teeth - less chance of something breaking!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:49 PM »
I stand corrected.   I forgot about those whipped/aerated ribbon chocolate bars that I think Cadbury makes and chocolate oranges.   Flake bars maybe?

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

123sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:43 AM »
Is it just me, or have Cadburys cream eggs shrunk over the years? I haven't had one for a few years and my husband brought a couple home, they're tiny! Much more and they'll be bite sized.

Also what's happened to Milk Tray? I used to love getting a box of those, they're nasty now. I don't know if it's my ageing taste buds or if Cadbury has changed their recipe but they've lost me as a customer...:-(

Octavia

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »
I can eat the malted-milk robin's eggs by the dozen! And thanks to eHell I have renewed interest in chocolate bunnies  >:D
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

POF

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
I never liked these - but do you remember the large chocolate cream eggs.  They came in a box with a window, chocolate covered with a white "fondant" interior - somtimes studded with bits of fruit.  The eggs was decorated with hard sugar bows.  You sliced it ( with much difficulty ) and ate it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:10:48 AM »
Definitely robins eggs. And my grandmother used to bring Hershey eggs in colored foil. While they still make them, the colors aren't the same :)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
I never liked these - but do you remember the large chocolate cream eggs.  They came in a box with a window, chocolate covered with a white "fondant" interior - somtimes studded with bits of fruit.  The eggs was decorated with hard sugar bows.  You sliced it ( with much difficulty ) and ate it.

Those sound like the candy eggs I remember from childhood. There was a chain of candy stores called Fannie Farmer's. At Easter, they had a large egg, with a filling somewhat similar to the Cadbury cream egg, but not as runny. It was white, with a yellow "yolk." My father was in the military, but my grandmother shipped one egg for each of us to wherever we were living every year. Sickly sweet, but we loved them.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »
Ah, the Fanny Farmer butter cream egg.  That was a classic.

There was also a local candy shop that made regulation-sized, solid chocolate baseballs.  They were wildly popular.  After all, for boys, a baseball is SO much cooler than a chocolate bunny. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
Funny thing!  My  sister and I were talking just this morning about the Good and Plenty candy we used to get at the matinee when we were kids, and how she made a whistle out of the box.  I loved Good and Plenty (when the box appeared to be empty you would always find a couple of pieces lodged in the bottom.)  Big Hunk and Look were not my favorites, but were within the 5 cent budget we were allowed for a treat at the show.  I liked Sugar Daddy suckers.  Even when they stuck to my teeth. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Alli8098

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
My mother introduced me when I was 12 to a nostalgic soda fountain drink that was really only in existence in 3 or 4 states when she was a kid called an Iron Port.  At this point they are really hard to find anywhere now (especially finding someone who makes it right).  I ended up ordering a large jug of the syrup so I can make my own when I have a craving for one.

As far as candy goes I miss sugar babies and bit-o-honey, they are easy to find but I developed TMJ in my 20's.  Those sweet little candies just kill my jaw, so I avoid them.

CinnaMom

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
We're all familiar with chocolate bunnies, but there used to be one, and I do forget who made it, but, for many years in a row, my siblings and I each got one from my parents.

It had jelly beans in its eye sockets, and jelly beans where its toenails would be. It had a large brooch made of hardened sugar. I used to take the brooch off and suck on it before I did anything else. Then I'd remove the jellybeans and eat them. Looking back on it, it's quite disturbing that I was dismembering this rabbit in such a way. My sister swears that she opened hers up once to find an anatomically-correct heart made of gelatin. I simply can't believe that. It would be a bit much for me to bear.