Author Topic: Nostalgic foods  (Read 2093 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Nostalgic foods
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »
Cadbury caramel eggs are my downfall. The creme ones are too sweet for me, but the caramel? Let's just say that a coworker gave me two boxes of them as a thank-you this week and they didn't last long!

Promise

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »
Deviled eggs. I generally don't like hardboiled eggs, but my mom used to make the best deviled eggs. I don't get them unless I go to a church potluck.

HGolightly

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 03:57:30 PM »
I used to love love love Kinder Surprise eggs (they are a milk/white chocolate egg with a small yet usually awesome toy inside...and illegal in the US). I used to get them as an adult but disliked the chocolate (I still liked the toy). It is pretty cool that my daughter has fallen in love with them now.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Ummmm....Russell Stover.... The wedding cake flavored one is just yummy....
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
I always loved Mallow Cups, but hadn't seen them in a really long time.  However, a few weeks ago, I found some similar candies, different brand, but basically the same idea, just marshmallow cream inside chocolate cups.  They were yummy but not quite my old Mallow Cups!    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »

whatsanenigma

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
Not exactly a food, but Fanta "Red Pop".  I used to drink it all the time as a kid, but I hadn't seen it in stores for years.  All of a sudden...it's back! And in a diet version, too! And it's just as good as it used to be.  I could just purr.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/mallo-cup.htm

:)

Well, hey now!  I can order the real deals!  Thanks for the heads up, sistah!  These ersatz Mallows just are not the same.  And, best of all, they will be all for meeeeee, as Son dislikes marshmallow!    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
There was a company that made chocolate shoes...both dutch wooden shoes and high heels.  That chocolate was the most wonderful chocolate in the world and I have never found anything that tastes like it since.  The shoes always seemed to show up in the spring, so I associated them with Easter.

darling

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 12:37:41 AM »
My grandmother's fudge...

I tried duplicating it the Christmas before last, and I failed. I would give anything to taste it again, just like she made it. She passed away four years ago. I will be trying again this fall, and will practice until I get it right. Another key part: each two-bite-piece has to be wrapped in aluminum foil.

Margo

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
I am pretty sure Cadbury Creme ggs are smaller.

When I was a child, a friend of my grandmother's used to give my sister and I one of the packs of 3 creme eggs - I used to hate them, as I found them far too sweet and sickly, so my sister would end up with 6.

Now, I can occasionally eat them, if I'm in the right mood. I still miss the Galaxy Truffle eggs which used to be available but which they don't seem to make any more.

Here, you can now also get mini creme eggs which I like better then the full size ones as the sickly-sweetness is less overwhelming,both because the egg is much smaller and also because proportionally, there is less creme to chocolate.

poundcake

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about missing discontinued foods, and I was coming here to mourn Jello Pudding Pops, Taco Bell's Cinnamon Crispas, and 3D Doritos.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about missing discontinued foods, and I was coming here to mourn Jello Pudding Pops, Taco Bell's Cinnamon Crispas, and 3D Doritos.

Well, I had been mourning the loss of my Fanta, but then was happy when it came back.   :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
Cadbury Creme eggs come in the standard, egg sized version and a mini version. The egg sized ones are sold individually and the small ones come in an egg carton.

I love the Cadbury mini eggs, in both milk chocolate and dark chocolate, My boss and I go through 3 bags between Valentine's Day and Easter. The only chocolate Easter Bunny I will buy are the Lindt bunnies in dark chocolate. They aren't too big, so they get eaten or used in baking and candy making later.  8)

When I was a kid, I would bike or walk to the small convenience store with my quarter and get Jolly Rancher sticks in watermelon or grape flavor. Pixi stix were also commonly bought.

For Easter, my parents would get each of us a stuffed animal, a chocolate bunny and an Easter dress with a hat and socks that matched to wear to church. We had an Easter egg hunt after church in the yard. They also bought us bunnies, chicks or ducklings that later went to a farm or petting zoo as we lived in the city limits.

HGolightly

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »
Ladyknight1 you reminded me of Jolly Rancher hard candies! I used to buy them in bulk at the grocery store And spent waaaayyyy too long trying to get the right flavours ( less watermelon and more of the elusive peach ones). The ones you get now are not the same (no peach) and the tummies do not count.