Author Topic: UPDATED 3.28.14 Rude RSVP Enclosure?  (Read 8583 times)

Sharpie

Re: Rude RSVP Enclosure?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »
UPDATE:

UPDATE:

Thank you for your advice, ladies. We were late to the viewing because cousin's mom wanted all of the pallbearers to wear a sport coat that DH doesn't own. We looked for hours and found one for $200 and I said forget it. He ended up borrowing one to appease aunt and it was raining so the only thing the pallbearers did was carry the casket 15 feet to the car. :/ I guess we should have left much much earlier. We had 2 hours set aside to shop and an hour to get ready so this really put a cramp in the schedule. Our fault, I'm just irritated.

Annnyway, there was five minutes left of the time the casket would be open to the family. I'm one of those people that needs to see the body. It's important to me that I see the body is just a shell and my loved one is no longer there. I hurried in to have a moment to say goodbye (I was very close to DH's gma.) No more than 10-20 seconds of alone time at the casket, my face is tears, cousin and aunt fly in like hawks to introduce themselves. Couldn't they have waited? It was really awkward. I needed a moment and they didn't let me have it. I politely exchanged greetings and the director closed the casket.

I didn't exchange greetings until the next day when we all went to cousin's mansion to visit with family. I gave cousin a hug and said I didn't feel like we got to have a proper greeting. She was friendly. Later, I gave little bitty mini wedding albums to them saying it was supposed to be in their Christmas cards, but we didn't get them back from our photog until January which is true. They were polite and pretended like nothing happened. Aunt even gave us a wedding gift and cousin said she hadn't bought it yet, but a gift from her is coming at some point.

So I guess all is fine and dandy? A family member told me the duo hates confrontation and would never speak to me about it, they just write aggressive letters. Interesting. I'm glad that's over.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: UPDATED 3.27.14 Rude RSVP Enclosure?
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
Oh, how odd that they rushed up to you as you said goodbye. You handled it the best way possible. Continue to be warm to them, as you have a long time ahead of you and it should work in your favor. I'm sorry for your loss.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
A family member told me the duo hates confrontation and would never speak to me about it, they just write aggressive letters. Interesting. I'm glad that's over.

Well here's your out in the future - Next time you get an ugly letter just briefly reply "Got your note, we need to talk. When are you available?" The answer is never, so, problem solved. They won't bother writing you if it's going to turn into you actually wanting to have a conversation about what was written.  ;)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
... We were late to the viewing because cousin's mom wanted all of the pallbearers to wear a sport coat that DH doesn't own.

YE GODS! This is not a wedding!

Proof right here that these people are just not reasonable. This is the mom of the "I'm not welcome if my kids aren't welcome" mom, right? This is who trained her? insert eyeroll here.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
... We were late to the viewing because cousin's mom wanted all of the pallbearers to wear a sport coat that DH doesn't own.

YE GODS! This is not a wedding!

Proof right here that these people are just not reasonable. This is the mom of the "I'm not welcome if my kids aren't welcome" mom, right? This is who trained her? insert eyeroll here.

I don't know that the cousin's mom was unreasonable.  Did she know the DH did not already own a sportcoat?  Because I don't think it is unreasonable to assume adult men have certain staple pieces, and I would consider a sportcoat to be a staple piece.  It could be that the cousin's mom was stating a level of formality and it never even ocurred to her that someone would not be able to meet it. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:32:51 AM by TurtleDove »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
I took it to mean the Aunt wanted a very specific type of sportcoat because OP said they looked for hours and finally found one for $200. Seems like, if any sportcoat would do, you could find one at any department store and for a lot less?

I do agree, though, that asking pallbearers to wear one isn't unreasonable, although you should be ready to drop it without a fuss if one of the chosen gentlemen doesn't have one and can't run out and get one. The point is probably more about having men who cared about the deceased than how they look for those few minutes.

Sharpie

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

Yes, the aunt is cousin's mom. She wanted the pallbearers to wear khakis, a navy sport coat, and a special Auburn University tie that they all do not own. My husband is 6'4 and 325 lbs, which is why it was difficult to find a navy sport coat.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »

Yes, the aunt is cousin's mom. She wanted the pallbearers to wear khakis, a navy sport coat, and a special Auburn University tie that they all do not own. My husband is 6'4 and 325 lbs, which is why it was difficult to find a navy sport coat.

...Auburn University? If she wants to be that specific, I hope she's hitting up the Auburn gift shop for them herself.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
I took it to mean the Aunt wanted a very specific type of sportcoat because OP said they looked for hours and finally found one for $200. Seems like, if any sportcoat would do, you could find one at any department store and for a lot less?

I do agree, though, that asking pallbearers to wear one isn't unreasonable, although you should be ready to drop it without a fuss if one of the chosen gentlemen doesn't have one and can't run out and get one. The point is probably more about having men who cared about the deceased than how they look for those few minutes.

And as far as I'm concerned, if what they are wearing is really that important to some given person, that given person should foot the bill for it all and do the work of obtaining it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »
That is oddly specific.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
That is oddly specific.

I'm guessing the deceased was an alum. But someone who wasn't himself an alum would have no reason to just have one of the ties sitting around!

whatsanenigma

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »
That is oddly specific.

If it were the case that all the men involved, including the deceased, were active members of the Auburn alumni club, or heavily and meaningfully involved in some other way with the school, I would say that it wouldn't be so odd to want the ties, especially if due to said (hypothetical) affiliation, they would be expected to already have them.  Or if it would be possible for someone to order them and have them delivered in time.  That kind of thing, I could understand.

But the request as phrased seems rather out of the blue.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »
That is oddly specific.

I'm guessing the deceased was an alum. But someone who wasn't himself an alum would have no reason to just have one of the ties sitting around!

And in that case, I would find it appropriate for someone to provide ties from the college (on their own dime) for the men to wear, or even to say please wear a tie that is one of the school colors.

But just to say, you must obtain a tie (probably very expensive) from a completely random school to be allowed to carry the casket? Weird.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:35 PM »
At the Auburn online bookstore, I found one for $25 (not including shipping).   Not too bad for a tie, but it's still an inconvenient request, if you have to acquire one at short notice.

This is the first time I've ever heard pall bearers having to match, like the groomsmen in a wedding party. I hope this isn't a trend.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
At the Auburn online bookstore, I found one for $25 (not including shipping).   Not too bad for a tie, but it's still an inconvenient request, if you have to acquire one at short notice.

This is the first time I've ever heard pall bearers having to match, like the groomsmen in a wedding party. I hope this isn't a trend.

I think $25 for a tie that is inappropriate for the wearer (assuming he is not an alum) and which clearly would be worn only once for a couple of hours is about $23 too much.   ;D