Author Topic: Health Advice When You're Pregnant, Everyone Has Some  (Read 11085 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Health Advice When You're Pregnant, Everyone Has Some
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
Sometimes I think it's the tone that really irritates people. Sometimes people phrase things as "you should do this," when what they really mean is, "I wish I'd done this/I'm glad I did this," and sometimes you can tell that from their tone. Makes it a little more palatable, I think.

And the duration of the conversation can be important, too. Imagine if she'd started talking as you were getting on the elevator, and had kept harping on the subject and pressuring you to agree during the whole ride! That would've been unpleasant.
~Lynn2000

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Health Advice When You're Pregnant, Everyone Has Some
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2014, 06:09:08 AM »
"You need to walk as much as you can.  Yes, you're tired, but you need to walk.  Walk more, I tell you. You need to walk. No, I know you don't want to, but you need to walk."

That was MIL. Constantly.  Uncaring that I had been awake all night with heartburn (ghastly) and literally just wanted to sleep.

I knew I needed exercise and I was perfectly happy and willing to do it.  Just in my own time and in my own way (I actually did a lot of walking during the day, interspersed with the rest I knew I needed).  i didn't need to be told circa 1000x per day that I needed to walk.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.