News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Type Of Vacation?  (Read 8587 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: What Is Your Favorite Type Of Vacation?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »
My idea of vacation hell - road trips with no arranged lodging, with anyone other than my DH and DS. Especially if staying with relatives. That is the only kind of "vacation" I experienced until I was 18 and on my own.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Altarrose

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 09:40:14 PM »
My husband and I are frequent leisure travelers- or were more so until we had our three year old. We really enjoy a wide variety of experiences.

Love cruising for the relaxation days mixed with busy port days. We have done over 10 cruises with our favorites being longer re-positioning trips. I think these are a great value financially

Theme Parks- I think these are better day trips. Just got back from doing Disney with the family last week. It was great but expensive, lots of lines, pricy food. Definitely something to do with kids but seriously, in what we spent for four days we could have gone to Europe for two weeks!

Also love camping. We live in Northern MI and do this every weekend in summer.

Least favorite trips: Anything too enclosed. All inclusive resorts can be awesome but I don't want to visit any country where the only safe place to be in the resort itself. We experienced this in Egypt. We wanted to see Egypt and not just the resort we were in. Some areas just aren't safe though.

All time favorite destination: Bali. We spent two weeks here for our honeymoon.

Mostly though, we just love new experiences. We have visited close to 40 countries and all on a budget, strict budget at time. This is why I probably enjoy places like Disney and such less... it's almost impossible to get a budget at an expensive theme park.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2014, 07:51:05 AM »
I love trips that involve doing stuff as well as relaxing.  A ski trip where we ski for a good part of the day and spend the rest of it in the hot tub with a few beverages, or maybe curled up in front of the fireplace with a good book.  A camping trip with activities in the morning when it is cooler, beach afternoons and sitting in the shade at the campsite, enjoying the company.  And sitting around the campfire, especially when there is someone in the group who plays guitar and/or banjo and you can sing some of the old camp songs we all remember.  A resort trip with activities part of the day and relaxing for the rest.

I can't go go go.  I get too tired if I do that too many days in a row and then my muscles complain and I can't do anything at all.  But I can't sit around all the time, either.  That just makes me crazy.  Plus, having had melanoma, I'm not a sun worshipper.  Lots of my coworkers have taken warm destination trips this winter.  I'm happier to go skiing.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Coralreef

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
My favourite vacation... by myself, no set schedule.  I plan where and what I want to do, but there is no specific time line to do it.  Usually goes like this : first and last night lodging is booked because sleeping in airports in not cool.  Get to new location, find tourist info kiosk, find a room for x days, walk around with map, visit attractions and/or shopping, find grocery store for lunch supplies, find local hangout for dinner, go to bed. 

Unless I have to buy tickets before leaving for vacation (i.e. The Alhambra in Granada, Spain) I only have a tentative itinerary with no fixed point. I may stay longer in a place I like and shorten the visit where I'm not liking it as much.  I do not cover a lot of area but I enjoy not being rushed and take in details of where I am.

The 13 countries in 15 days tours are not for me and neither are resorts, I would feel too cramped.  My sister loves those types of vacations.  We have very different comfort levels, so there is no right or wrong way of traveling.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2014, 08:04:55 AM »
I used to really enjoy camping and I dunno, I might again but after my last camping trip I need a break.

We went after Mother's day of last year, which was a lot colder than May typically is around this part of the country. It was around 40 degrees near the ocean, windy, one night it was around 40 and rainy, another it actually got down to freezing.  And oh, our tent is NOT a cold weather tent.

Our wood was wet (the campground won't let you bring in your own wood and theirs is kept in a shed that either had a leak or the wood was damp when it arrived and hadn't had a chance to dry out.)  So no matter what we did there wasn't even a fire to warm us up.

Thankfully we had our propane camping stove so we weren't relying on getting a campfire going to have hot food.

My friend and I said the next time we go to the beach we're staying in a hotel!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:57 AM »
I have friends who consider going to a nice little B&B to be 'camping'.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
I have friends who consider going to a nice little B&B to be 'camping'.   ;D

I now consider renting a cottage to be camping. No more 6 am wiggling out of the sleeping bag, finding shoes and walking to the bathroom for me.
The days are long but the years are short.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
My favourite vacation... by myself, no set schedule.  I plan where and what I want to do, but there is no specific time line to do it.  Usually goes like this : first and last night lodging is booked because sleeping in airports in not cool.  Get to new location, find tourist info kiosk, find a room for x days, walk around with map, visit attractions and/or shopping, find grocery store for lunch supplies, find local hangout for dinner, go to bed. 

Unless I have to buy tickets before leaving for vacation (i.e. The Alhambra in Granada, Spain) I only have a tentative itinerary with no fixed point. I may stay longer in a place I like and shorten the visit where I'm not liking it as much.  I do not cover a lot of area but I enjoy not being rushed and take in details of where I am.

The 13 countries in 15 days tours are not for me and neither are resorts, I would feel too cramped.  My sister loves those types of vacations.  We have very different comfort levels, so there is no right or wrong way of traveling.

This, this, this!!!!  That's what's making it so hard to plan my and Son's European adventure.  The Eurail pass is good for (24?) countries, and I would like to see every one of them.  So would he.  However, I told him we need to narrow down an area so we can really *see* things.  He is most interested in the ancient world, the old Ottoman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian, and of course, both World Wars.  We have to meet up with my parents in Spain, a country he could take or leave.  I am trying to work out a way we can do the Spain meet-up and then travel through the Balkans and Greece and to Turkey.  But, I also think it's important we see Auschwicz in Poland.  In fact, that is sort of non-negotiable for me.  I think I kinda/sorta know how we can do it, but we literally will have just over two weeks to do all this.  Thankfully, I have a long time still to work all this out.  However, in my heart, I realize that the most important part is that I will be spending two weeks of wonderful time with my favorite human being in the world, probably my last chance before he goes off to college and then on into life.  And, he will love every second of it, no matter where we are or what we do or see.  He also told me not to stress if we don't get to see every important thing on the list, as he will most likely be working on his PhD somewhere in Europe, in years to come.    :P  At least he is beginning to recapture his goals and enthusiasm.  High school had sort of sucked that out of him.

Coralreef, it sounds like you have great travel experience.  I love it that you go by yourself. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Coralreef

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »

This, this, this!!!!  That's what's making it so hard to plan my and Son's European adventure.  The Eurail pass is good for (24?) countries, and I would like to see every one of them.  So would he.  However, I told him we need to narrow down an area so we can really *see* things.  He is most interested in the ancient world, the old Ottoman Empire, the Austro-Hungarian, and of course, both World Wars.  We have to meet up with my parents in Spain, a country he could take or leave.  I am trying to work out a way we can do the Spain meet-up and then travel through the Balkans and Greece and to Turkey.  But, I also think it's important we see Auschwicz in Poland.  In fact, that is sort of non-negotiable for me.  I think I kinda/sorta know how we can do it, but we literally will have just over two weeks to do all this.  Thankfully, I have a long time still to work all this out.  However, in my heart, I realize that the most important part is that I will be spending two weeks of wonderful time with my favorite human being in the world, probably my last chance before he goes off to college and then on into life.  And, he will love every second of it, no matter where we are or what we do or see.  He also told me not to stress if we don't get to see every important thing on the list, as he will most likely be working on his PhD somewhere in Europe, in years to come.    :P  At least he is beginning to recapture his goals and enthusiasm.  High school had sort of sucked that out of him.

Coralreef, it sounds like you have great travel experience.  I love it that you go by yourself.

It appears that time is your limiting issue.  If you have to cover a large area, you will use a lot of time in going from point A to point B.  Check distances on a map, that will give you a general idea of the time you will need in transit as Greece to Poland can be quite long, so an overnight train may be to your advantage. I would suggest that you and your son choose only a couple of "must" and the rest can be in the "if we have time" list.  Since he's still a student, get him an international student card, you will save a LOT of money as he will be able to get major discounts when visiting or in public transport.

I traveled with my DD after she graduated high school.  We backpacked in France for a couple of weeks and she was hooked!  Two years later, we did three weeks in Spain.  Years later we still go "remember when...?" 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
When I was a teen and took a trip with school through Europe we took an overnight train from Paris to Pisa and it was quite nice really.  You could smell the jasmine as you went through southern France.  Mind you the quarters were pretty tight but then we had tried to fit I think six girls in one cabin that could sleep that fine if you put up the middle bunk. (it was set up so the back of the seats would swing out to form a bed but as some were claustrophobic they didn't (can't really blame them) and slept sitting up.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lilfox

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2014, 04:52:20 PM »
Now I really want a vacation.  Any kind will do!

I haven't done extended camping or a real cruise, but have done just about every other kind mentioned, I think, and I'm realizing I don't have a strong preference.  There always end up being things I love about a trip and things I would change or didn't like.

I'll speak in favor of guided tours though - my family went on several when we lived in Europe and always found them educational (in a good way!).  Recently we did one in Egypt and the biggest selling points were that we had basically a personal guide and driver and all the tickets for the attractions, in-country transportation, etc, were managed for us.  I don't like crowded situations so having someone else deal with all that felt like a luxury.

There are some things I would spend more time doing if I went on my own - more time in museums, aquariums, and people-watching from outdoor cafes come to mind.  And if I'm visiting a big city, I like just walking.  No real agenda, not even window-shopping, just brisk walking around like I belong there to see how it feels.

Right now my ideal vacation would be to stay at a posh resort at the beach, lounge around all day with all the seafood and tropical drinks I want, and just recover from 4 months of baby-related sleep deprivation.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
I also enjoy just going to parts of the country I've never been to before.  I seem to amuse people at times by my excitement, especially if they didn't find a place all that exciting. Like when I went to visit DH at 29 Palms for the first time. "It's just desert and sand and swamp coolers..." but I loved looking at the landscape around as there were some hills that were quite beautiful when the sun hit them just right. 

I really perplexed people in my former town when I was excited to visit a friend in Iowa, as I was really excited to get to see my friend, but also to see what Iowa's like.  I got a lot of snarky (and I think rude) remarks of "Here let me clear up the mystique for you.  Flat and covered in corn fields."  ::) But it was a lot prettier than that and I loved it out there, so much that I very nearly was ready to pick up and move to friend's hometown.

I dunno, I just think beauty can be found anywhere if you're really keeping your eyes open.

Coralreef

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »

I dunno, I just think beauty can be found anywhere if you're really keeping your eyes open.

That is so true! 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 03:26:01 AM »
A guided tour done well is nice- we have been on 3 Caravan tours and took a Monograms tour to Italy. That was great- accommodations chosen for us, picked up at the airport, taken to the high speed train and retrieved from it when changing cities and one half-day guided tour of each city. The rest of the time we were on our own.

And of course some places you must book a day tour to see- like the DMZ.  That was very interesting. Also we saw Manchurian cranes while at the DMZ.
Nothing to see here.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »
I also enjoy just going to parts of the country I've never been to before.  I seem to amuse people at times by my excitement, especially if they didn't find a place all that exciting. Like when I went to visit DH at 29 Palms for the first time. "It's just desert and sand and swamp coolers..." but I loved looking at the landscape around as there were some hills that were quite beautiful when the sun hit them just right. 

I really perplexed people in my former town when I was excited to visit a friend in Iowa, as I was really excited to get to see my friend, but also to see what Iowa's like.  I got a lot of snarky (and I think rude) remarks of "Here let me clear up the mystique for you.  Flat and covered in corn fields."  ::) But it was a lot prettier than that and I loved it out there, so much that I very nearly was ready to pick up and move to friend's hometown.

We are so alike!  I also love going anyplace "new."  Regardless of where it is, how big or how small, there is bound to be something unique, or plain beautiful, or quirky.  And, I love the Great Plains, also.  Iowa is lovely, but I love Nebraska in particular.  Every time I have been through Kansas or Nebraska, there has not been a cloud in the sky, just miles of golden fields, and the most friendly people.  The only part of the US I didn't enjoy was that stretch in between Las Vegas and Arizona, (can't remember the route; I was pretty young.)  It was summer, family vaca. and the AC in the family grocery-getter died.  There was this desolate little town called Glendale, Nevada, and I remember being miserable.  Heat, boredom, teenager.  I'm sure it's actually lovely, (and probably developed now, sadly), but in 1978, I disliked it.    :o  We kids, however, were amazed that there were slot machines in diners and gas stations everywhere in Nevada! 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical