News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 01, 2015, 06:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Semi-formal outdoor"  (Read 2661 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: "Semi-formal outdoor"
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
I just purchased these wedges from DSW last week.  I think the first one would be a good option for you.

I have these in Tan, they have a thinner profile from the back: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/guess+jazminn+wedge+sandal?prodId=324326&productRef=SEARCH

I have these in black.  Very comfy: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/steve+madden+eliee+wedge+sandal?prodId=319886&productRef=SEARCH

And I have these in Navy, a bit too casual maybe: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and.+katie+sassa+wedge+sandal?prodId=322488&productRef=SEARCH

Arila

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
My cousin, an LA transplant got married in a resort garden so...I wore something similar to this dress - in cotton/linen, with a wrap that I had on and off at different periods in the evening.

I guess I might have gone with bolder colors for a summer dress, maybe a blue somewhere between jewel colors and pastel.

Although the ceremony is at 415, the party after will be in the evening, so you will probably be looking for something that can make the jump

mandycorn

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
https://www.thesolemates.com/

These are gizmos that apparently keep high heels from sinking into the ground. I haven't tried them, but maybe they are worth a try?

My sister bought those for all her bridesmaids for her wedding, but we discovered that if it's the least bit damp, the heel guards get stuck in the ground and come off the shoe. If it's dry, they do a pretty good job keeping you from aerating the lawn.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

gellchom

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 03:35:26 PM »
This is great -- like shopping with friends.  Actually, that's exactly what it is.

I do have those Solemates things -- I forgot all about them.  I wonder if they'd be good enough.  They sell them for bridesmaids.  I guess I can practice in my yard.  I have the same concern about them getting stuck in soft ground (and then scraping the heel of the shoe).  They do a good job on cobblestones, though.

Lowspark, we see eye to eye even more than we already knew we did!  I had just put exactly those first three DSW pairs in my "shopping cart" to order later (they don't have the 4th one in my size, but I see in your next post that Macy's does).  (They have free shipping, so I can order lots of pairs and then return the "rejects" to my local store before the bill even comes.)
I'm trying to insert images, but for some reason it's not working. I think I like the first one, with the cut out in the heel, the best -- seems dressiest.

Hmmmmm and PastryGoddess, those are really good choices, too.  PastryGoddess, I agree that the first of the ones you put is a good option.  What color would you say?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:39:59 PM by gellchom »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 03:49:44 PM »
lowspark is right--platform heels are WAY in lately!

There are more low-heel versions this year, but they're still very in. And not always that chunky.

Also, a wide heel might work as well as a wedge; just not thin ones.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
gellchom, I really like the tan ones I bought.  I've worn them dressed up and down and they tend to go with everything.  But the black ones would work as well.

I really like them because the front is tilted up a bit so your feet don't slide down. :D

lowspark

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »
Ya! I do the same thing - order a bunch then return what I don't want. E-Z!

I didn't realize I'd linked to that one pair twice - once at DSW and once at Macy's. Ha! I was just looking for metallic wedges with matching heels. One added bonus of wearing wedges is that they will be more comfortable and easier to dance in. I think while most wedges are inherently more casual, they can be dressy, especially if they are metallic and paired with the right dress & other accessories.

I am hoping you'll post a picture of yourself in the complete outfit once you have it all put together!  ;D
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

greencat

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »
You know, you could wear really dressy sandals instead of just flats.  I don't like the way most flats look on me, but something like this could be pretty nice: http://www.ninewest.com/Hanoverian-T-Strap-Sandals/16973703,default,pd.html?variantSizeClass=&variantColor=JJ8NWA0_1&cgid=5241464&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=ninewest-catalog&prefn2=heelHeight&prefv2=Flat%7cLow

gellchom

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
Those all look really great.  I better get back fast to the stores to return all these shoes I'm ordering (except the one Perfect Pair)!

What do you all think of these nude ones?  I think they will be useful and versatile.  I think they would go with either dress, and with less dressy skirts and pants in the future.  They are more than I wanted to spend, and they don't have free return shipping (or a store in my city), though. 

Are they dressy enough for this wedding, do you think?  It's hard to see in the picture, but the web site says they are patent leather.

lowspark

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
Those all look really great.  I better get back fast to the stores to return all these shoes I'm ordering (except the one Perfect Pair)!

What do you all think of these nude ones?  I think they will be useful and versatile.  I think they would go with either dress, and with less dressy skirts and pants in the future.  They are more than I wanted to spend, and they don't have free return shipping (or a store in my city), though. 

Are they dressy enough for this wedding, do you think?  It's hard to see in the picture, but the web site says they are patent leather.

I think they would work well with the blue dress but I'm not convinced about how they would look with the red/purple one. The style works, especially if they are patent leather (is the wedge also patent or just the uppers?) but I'm not sure about the color. Do you have any shoes in your closet that are that color, even if not the style you're striving for, that you can try on just to see how the color works?

Here's a question: if you were going to wear your normal heels, (if the wedding were indoors), what shoes would you be wearing? I'm asking because that might give you a feel for the color(s) that would normally work well. I love the look of the red dress, but aside from something shiny silver or shiny gold, or the exact shade of red or purple from the dress, I'm having trouble picturing another color of shoe that would work well.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

gellchom

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
That's a very good question.  If I wore the pink/red/orangey gold dress to an indoor semi-formal wedding, I'd wear the gold medium-high heeled slide sandals with blingy toe ornament that I bought a million years ago when I bought the dress.  If I wore the blue one, I'd wear my sky-high pewter evening sandals (from my son's wedding) for this event; for a less dressy event, either black patent high heel pumps or tan suede high heel slingbacks (both totally cute, with doodads on the toes and my only new shoes; it's killing me that I can't wear them for this wedding!  But I'd ruin them outside).  I have some gold closed-toe slingbacks with a low blocky heel, but I think they aren't high/dressy enough; even though they are metallic, they look tailored, not partyish.

It does appear that the wedge is patent leather, too, not just the top of the shoe.

Your suggestion to try on the dresses with a pair of nude patent shoes I have (but that have skinny heels) is brilliant.  Thanks for a great idea!