Author Topic: A Question About Maids of Honor or and Best Men.  (Read 3076 times)

lofty

• My blog and shops
Re: A Question About Maids of Honor or and Best Men.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
NY state here!

When we got married 6 years ago now (wait, really??) we needed two witnesses over the age of 18, i.e. legal adults. We used our MOH and BM because, well, why not?
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

gellchom

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
Of course it's not a legal or even an etiquette requirement for a witness to be an attendant.  Not everyone even has attendants, and many people, especially brides and grooms who have children, have minors as attendants.

As a matter of fact, I usually see witnesses who are not attendants.  It's a way to include more people with a special role.  And at Jewish weddings, there are also 2 witnesses for the ketubah (Jewish wedding contract), too, so that's two more spots to honor someone.  For the ketubah, in fact, the witness cannot be a relative, and as siblings and cousins are so frequently honor attendants, that means that that BM and MOH are in fact very rarely the witnesses.

judecat

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »
30 years ago in Md,  you needed two witnesses -- our two witnesses (we got married at the court house) were a layer and a judge who were on their lunch break.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:53 PM »
We had to have two witnesses, I think the only requirement was that they were over 18 though.