Author Topic: possibly impossible:high fiber, no oat, almost grain free, power bars EUREKA #14  (Read 1215 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
For our passover holiday - we don't eat:
flour (wheat, barley, spelt, oats, rye) and we don't use yeast.

the only flour based items used are matza because they are made i n a certain way that is allowed. but other than that we don't eat flour based items. we do use matza meal, corn starch, quinoq, rice, beans etc (not all Jews eat these additional items, some refrain from rice, corn, beans etc)

I was wondering if it's possible to make a quinoa based or rice based granola bar to have as a snack/hiking food. I googled and found a few ideas (remember - no oats or flour), and was wonderng if anyone had any experience with this. what i found was basically toasted quinoa mixed with oil/butter and honey/sugar/maple syrup, ground nuts, coconut etc. low cal this ain't gonna be, but if it will be something portable and tasty that would work.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:16:07 PM by cicero »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/grain-free-goodies/caveman-crunch/

This is more like granola and probably too crumbly to make into bars (I haven't tried) but I can vouch for it being very yummy and portable!

Edited to add - When we make this we line a rimmed sheet with parchment paper, cook for 15min, dump into a bowl & stir, put back on the sheet/paper, then bake for 15 more. Cooking as directed in the recipe may cause it to burn on the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:37:54 PM by JenJay »

cicero

• Super Hero!

This is more like granola and probably too crumbly to make into bars (I haven't tried) but I can vouch for it being very yummy and portable!
thanks! this looks yum! I wonder if i could add an egg or two and bake it....

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
If you are using it for hiking, then you don't want something low calorie.  You need those calories to fuel your exercise.  If you are just looking for a snack, I'm a fan of mixing quinoa, yogurt, honey, and fresh fruit. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
If you are using it for hiking, then you don't want something low calorie.  You need those calories to fuel your exercise.  If you are just looking for a snack, I'm a fan of mixing quinoa, yogurt, honey, and fresh fruit.
well, i'm not really a fan of quinoa but i know it's a good source of protein and i'm hoping it will sort of act like a grain in this regard. My DS will not eat quinoa as is, but i'm hoping that mixing it with nuts, dried fruit, coconute, and drizzling with chocolate we may create an illusion of something edible  ;D

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!

thanks! this looks yum! I wonder if i could add an egg or two and bake it....

Hmmm, I don't know? I'm the type of cook who can do a great job with a recipe but I'm hopeless if left to my own devices  ;D. If you try it and it works please let me know!

Hurricane Marathon

BigBadBetty

Try Larabars: http://www.larabar.com/

I second these. I love the cashew cookie one. There are also many recipes for homemade ones, too.

jmarvellous

The best non-grainy energy bars I've ever had used a lot of dates as the 'binder.' This is a cool sounding recipe: http://snapguide.com/guides/make-no-bake-honey-date-energy-bars/

hellocats

I make these with almond butter instead of PB:
http://cupcakesandkale.blogspot.ca/2012/04/peanut-butter-endurance-bars.html

I sub in dried apricot (diced) green raisins and goji (instead of cranberry and cherry). I have added hemp and chia for extra protein.
I use the brown rice puffed rice.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:15:51 PM by hellocats »

cicero

• Super Hero!
wow - thanks for all the tips and recipes. For those who suggested Lara bars - they do look amazing but i don't know if they sell them in Israel (and if they do, they're probably very expensive), and anyway i prefer to make not buy. but thanks for the tip - next time i'm in the US i will definitely pick up a box.

BigBadBetty

wow - thanks for all the tips and recipes. For those who suggested Lara bars - they do look amazing but i don't know if they sell them in Israel (and if they do, they're probably very expensive), and anyway i prefer to make not buy. but thanks for the tip - next time i'm in the US i will definitely pick up a box.

There are many recipes available on the web for Larabars. Just google "Homemade Lara bar recipes".

sweetonsno

There are many recipes available on the web for Larabars. Just google "Homemade Lara bar recipes".

I'm definitely going to do this.

Would also suggest using a mix of pureed fruit/pulp from juicer with ground nuts or seeds.

cicero

• Super Hero!
i made my first batch of larabar wannabees - in a word: yum. as i was making them, i realized that my sisters used to make something similar way back in the late 1970s when they went through a vegan/natural foods stage. i used pitted compressed dates (like these) and mixed with a mixture of nuts and spices.

I'm still looking for baked bars; the lara bars are delish but I don't know how they'll be after a day of walking/

cicero

• Super Hero!

Edited to add - When we make this we line a rimmed sheet with parchment paper, cook for 15min, dump into a bowl & stir, put back on the sheet/paper, then bake for 15 more. Cooking as directed in the recipe may cause it to burn on the bottom.
Thank you so much for posting this - i was going to make it, and found another "caveman" recipe for crunch BARS. exactly what i was looking for ! and these would work for anyone looking for a gluten free "granola type bar". I changed the recipe a bit (used regular oil, and used different nuts oh and added some chocolate chunks). seriously good.

Caveman Crunch Bars  from http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/grain-free-goodies/caveman-crunch-bars/

Serves: 12
Ingredients

3/4 cup raw almonds
    3/4 cup raw macadamia nuts
    1/4 cup raw pepitas (didn't use - added more ground almonds)
    1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (didn't use)
    1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (used half a cup)
    1/2 cup cranberries (added dried blueberries too)
    1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (used regular)
    1/4 cup raw organic honey (used date honey, added a bit more )
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp cinnamon

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
    Place your almonds and macadamia nuts in your food processor and continue to pulse until you have tiny chunks, you donít want the consistency of flour, keep it rough.
    Transfer the mixture to your mixing bowl and add all of the remaining ingredients
    Mix well by hand to ensure an even distribution of ingredients
    Grease a 9◊9 Square baking dish with coconut oil and then transfer your nut mixture to the dish
    Bake in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the center of your bars pass the toothpick test
    Once done, remove from the oven and let cool on the counter in the pan
    Once you can handle the pan without oven mitts, place the bars in the refrigerator and let cool completely
    Remove from the fridge and then slice into bars of the size of your choice
    Individually wrap them in plastic wrap and leave at room temperature or place back in the refrigerator and take them everywhere as snacks.
    Enjoy