A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

The BBC

(1/6) > >>

Bobbie:
I read an article about the BBC and that you have to buy a television license to have internet, cable or satellite television.  So, if you have a TV do you have to license each one?  And will they send you to debt collection if you don't pay?  I am just curious because in the US, we just pay for the service we are connected to and the taxes and fee come on that bill (a small amount). 

mechtilde:
One licence per household, no matter how many tvs you have. If you use a tv service online, you need a licence for that as well.

They have detector vans to try to find out if you are watching an unlicenced telly, and if you are, you can be prosecuted in the criminal courts (although this is currently being debated in Parliament, and might be changed)

NestHolder:
I think the license fee is around 100 per year.  For which we get Radio 4 *and* Doctor Who (anything else that may happen to be broadcast is extra).  It's a bargain.

Bobbie:

--- Quote from: mechtilde on March 24, 2014, 06:02:19 PM ---One licence per household, no matter how many tvs you have. If you use a tv service online, you need a licence for that as well.

They have detector vans to try to find out if you are watching an unlicenced telly, and if you are, you can be prosecuted in the criminal courts (although this is currently being debated in Parliament, and might be changed)

--- End quote ---

WOW!! A criminal offense that stays on your record over a TV.

Hollanda:
IMO it's a huge waste of money. The BBC is heavily biased and the quality of programmes is debatable.  We watch ITV or cable channels far more frequently. The Beeb is full of repeats. The only half decent thing really is no adverts.

Even if it becomes a civil matter, they can still sEnd bailiffs round and a whole lot of other nasty stuff, so it's just not worth not paying.

That said, when the BBC do dramas, they are usually brilliant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version