Author Topic: is it polite to continue ignoring this person? Update #28  (Read 13112 times)

magicdomino

Re: is it polite to continue ignoring this person? Update #28
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »
Weird, especially since the first two messages were so short.  Could the woman have hijacked your old associate's Facebook account somehow?  I don't have a Facebook account, so don't know how it would work.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
Weird, especially since the first two messages were so short.  Could the woman have hijacked your old associate's Facebook account somehow?  I don't have a Facebook account, so don't know how it would work.

Yes, it sounds like it, or at least the woman has persuaded them to help contact the OP. Still creepy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mergatroyd

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
Sounds like she made accounts in those names to see if she could contact OP..

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
That's weird!! I'd just go ahead and block the new person, too. At worst it's her and at best it really is the new person but they're being creepy, too.  :-\

Another Sarah

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 04:37:08 AM »
I might be tempted to play dumb and message back something like "oh are you still friends with her? Weird thing, she messaged me a while ago - after 35 years of no contact - to tell me that she always wanted to hook up with me while she was dating my brother. Stalker or what?"

crella

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
That picture sounds like 'See? You know her!' from Person Number 2, on behalf of Person 1. It still seems like forcing the issue though. It was strange that she expected you to know who she was despite her first and last names being different.

They both sound a bit weird, and persistent. I think you're right to ignore them.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
I might be tempted to play dumb and message back something like "oh are you still friends with her? Weird thing, she messaged me a while ago - after 35 years of no contact - to tell me that she always wanted to hook up with me while she was dating my brother. Stalker or what?"

This would be sooooo tempting.

amylouky

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »
I'd reply back to the "friend" with, "Thanks for the picture! Who is that you are with? I don't think I know her."

Then again, maybe not. She sounds a bit crazy.. maybe best not to engage.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
My guess is they are still friends and were talking about mutual former acquaintances, and she said she'd messaged OP and been blocked, so it was "Why don't you try sending a message from your account and see what happens?"  hence the very brief message.  They when they got a response they then sent the photo as sort of a "Ha! Gotcha!"   ::)

Silly and juvenile but based on the first messages from that person would make sense.   I'd ignore.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
There is something off about this person.  You really should give absolutely no attention back.  Ignore, block, ignore, block...  It is not rude to not accept a facebook friend request from someone so distantly connected to you. 

I wouldn't encourage this person with any attention whatsoever.  You want them to just move on.  There is no benefit to responding, and any discouraging message would probably be broadcast far and wide amongst the old acquaintances of that era (I'm thinking that due to the strange picture thing).
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

MrTango

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 09:02:41 AM »
There is something off about this person.  You really should give absolutely no attention back.  Ignore, block, ignore, block...  It is not rude to not accept a facebook friend request from someone so distantly connected to you. 

I wouldn't encourage this person with any attention whatsoever.  You want them to just move on.  There is no benefit to responding, and any discouraging message would probably be broadcast far and wide amongst the old acquaintances of that era (I'm thinking that due to the strange picture thing).

I agree.  If they attempt to contact you through another account, block that account immediately without any response.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »

I agree.  If they attempt to contact you through another account, block that account immediately without any response.

POD. I would also be tempted to poke at it, but these things have a way of blowing up into crazy drama often enough that at this point I'd just block. And block anybody else who engages in this with her. No answers, just blocking. Don't give her anything else to "feed" on.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

DavidH

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »
It sounds like they've crossed the line into very odd at best.  I'd ignore it and not contact the other former friend at all. 

Hollymom1229

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
The contacting you through another friend after being blocked is creepy in the extreme.  I would block the friend that sent you the pictures as well.