General Etiquette > Dating

Should you have to specifically invite your date to order food?

(1/11) > >>

CakeBeret:
I ran across this letter in the Dear Abby archives and I'm frankly flabbergasted.

Third letter:
http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2013/12/16

A woman goes on a date with a man who "never asked me if I wanted anything to eat or drink." and is speculating this has something to do with tattooed women "ruining it for the rest of us". :o

Does etiquette require that one person specifically invite their date to order food or drink, or isn't that implied by the act of going to a restaurant together?

Katana_Geldar:
You are going to a restaurant, you're presumably going to have something to eat and drink.

Angel B.:
If someone asked me to a restaurant(as a date) I would assume food and beverage is going to be had...though I'd assume that if a friend asked me to go to a restaurant as well.

The tattooed women assumption made me laugh...I never realized I was ruining it for the rest of you!  :P

DavidH:
I've always assumed if I'm at a restaurant on a date I don't specifically have to suggest ordering food to my date.  It never occurred to me that I was being rude and I don't ever recall a situation where my date sat without ordering and watched me eat.  Incidentally, not all of my dates had tattoos, so that can't be the common link.

Jones:
If any man saw my tattoo on a first date, there's a problem, unless we're at a pool party. I've never had a man specifically invite me to order something...asking me out to dinner implies that we're going to eat something. Frankly, if he asked me to a restaurant and specifically didn't let me eat, yes I would probably break out some vocabulary...but a second date would not be happening at that point, either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version