General Etiquette > Life...in general

s/o commenting on appearance- not taking a compliment well.

<< < (18/18)

TurtleDove:
I agree, lowspark.  Good post!

I am wearing bright green pants today - definitely eye-catching.  I receive various compliments on them every time I wear them, from a joking "the green pants again!?!?? I can only take so much!!!" from a male co-worker I joke around with often, to "wow - you are looking good girl!  Love the green pants" from a male stranger, to "I really like those pants! Where did you get them?" from a female stranger.  To me, none of these compliments is threatening, and all brighten my day.  I would likely respond with, "Hah!  I wear them just because you can't stand them!" to the first; "Thanks!" (said with a smile and keep walking, regardless of what else may be said by him) to the second; and "Thanks! I got them from ____ - they are so fun to wear!" to the third. 

I especially liked this from lowspark: "I do believe that there is a modicum of self-esteem involved in being able to accept compliments at face value with a gracious and simple "Thank you.""  For me, I generally am confident in myself, but it is a nice "feel good" to have someone else reinforce that confidence!  And I like to compliment others for that same reason - I want them to feel confident and that their sparkle and shine and awesomeness shines through!

Allyson:
For people who think less of those who compliment them--do you believe people shouldn't give compliments? I can see that argument for strangers, though I don't necessarily agree, but even among friends? I totally understand that some people have upbringings that lead to bad thoughts (i do, too, not specifically in this area though) but discussing the etiquette of the situation, for people who think less of those who compliment them, what would the solution be? I mean, I would hate to think that I was making somebody feel worse for saying something nice, especially since I probably wouldn't even know it, as there is social pressure to dismiss compliments even when you do actually like hearing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version