Author Topic: Gift Ideas - token-ish?  (Read 1722 times)

lmyrs

Re: Gift Ideas - token-ish?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
Johnny walker gold is a nice choice. I was going to say that since it's your dad, you could also try to find a nice photo of you and the couple as a family. That's usually appreciated by parents.

aussie_chick

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 06:04:11 AM »
POD to everyone on a nice bottle of something, a gc for a restaurant or a weekend away

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
We were given a very nice bottle of champagne. It was one of the nicest gifts we received.

Is there a good wine merchant in your area?
NE England

whatsanenigma

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »
We were given a very nice bottle of champagne. It was one of the nicest gifts we received.

Is there a good wine merchant in your area?

If you can find a good local wine merchant, somebody who really knows their stuff, they would probably be able to help you choose a really appropriate beverage, be it champagne or another type of wine, or whatever...especially if you can say, "Well, I know they have had [whatever] before and they like it."

Lynn2000

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
A consumable like the Johnny Walker would be very nice, and probably appreciated if it's to their taste.

However, I do think that when someone says they want nothing, it's perfectly fine to get them nothing. You could just show up and be pleasant and welcoming, maybe ask if there's anything you could do last-minute to help.

If you don't want to literally be empty-handed, a card with a thoughtful, loving note could be a good idea. Memories of your dad and his new spouse--"I knew you would be perfect for Dad when the dog jumped on you and you didn't complain..."
~Lynn2000

Margo

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:53 AM »
does your Dad's fiancee also drink Johnnie Walker? I like the idea of good quality wine or liquor, but aim to find something they both like or it can look like a gift just for your dad!

Another option might be to arrange to have flowers sent, not for the wedding, but for a couple of weeks after the wedding, or after they get back from the honeymoon, if they are having one.

If you think your dad and step mum would like it, then a famed picture of the two of them, or of hem and you is a nice idea, but definitely a 'know your audience' one!