Author Topic: Sales Shower  (Read 1906 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Sales Shower
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
I agree with many of the previous posters.  Something else bugged me....is it not odd that the theme of the shower resolves around jewelry/accessories?  I thought traditionally the purpose of a bridal shower was to help the couple outfit their home.  I have never considered giving jewlery as a shower gift.  This seems off to me.

I was wondering how many people were invited and how much jewelry the bride thinks she needs?  Even 6 pieces of jewelry seems like a lot (from one company at one time)

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »
This is what I find interesting:

The invite asks us to "deck the bride out in accessories and find some for yourself!"

I can think of a small handful of religions which which either specifically exclude non-members from weddings or at least tend to keep the festivities within their own congregations - and all of them encourage modesty while disavowing anything that draws undue attention or could be perceived as a display of wealth.

It seems strange that a gaudy, blingy sales party/shower would be part of such a celebration.

catrunning

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
Tacky in two ways - 1)  inviting people to a shower when they aren't invited to the wedding/reception and 2)  someone is trying to make money off the shower.    Either of those reasons would prevent my attending.

However, it seems like many here on e-hell think it's okay to invite co-workers to wedding showers regardless of the fact they aren't being invited to the wedding.   I just don't get the reason for that exception.   Yes, many people cannot afford or are otherwise unable to invite everyone they work with to their wedding and that's perfectly okay.  I think most coworkers are understanding.   But then, those same excluded coworkers shouldn't be expected to finance the happy couple's lifestyle via shower gifts.   It just screams "greed" and I truely don't get it.   It's like trying to get something for nothing I guess. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
Tacky in two ways - 1)  inviting people to a shower when they aren't invited to the wedding/reception and 2)  someone is trying to make money off the shower.    Either of those reasons would prevent my attending.

However, it seems like many here on e-hell think it's okay to invite co-workers to wedding showers regardless of the fact they aren't being invited to the wedding.   I just don't get the reason for that exception.   Yes, many people cannot afford or are otherwise unable to invite everyone they work with to their wedding and that's perfectly okay.  I think most coworkers are understanding.   But then, those same excluded coworkers shouldn't be expected to finance the happy couple's lifestyle via shower gifts.   It just screams "greed" and I truely don't get it.   It's like trying to get something for nothing I guess.

I don't think you can invite coworkers to your shower but work can throw you a shower ie every employee who gets married gets a work shower by virtue of working there.

Jones

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
This is what I find interesting:

The invite asks us to "deck the bride out in accessories and find some for yourself!"

I can think of a small handful of religions which which either specifically exclude non-members from weddings or at least tend to keep the festivities within their own congregations - and all of them encourage modesty while disavowing anything that draws undue attention or could be perceived as a display of wealth.

It seems strange that a gaudy, blingy sales party/shower would be part of such a celebration.
Interestingly, I was raised LDS, in which only members in good standing are allowed to attend the actual ceremony (unless you go for a less favored and more public option...yup that was me, disappointing public ceremony). Although said members have certain dress codes (amount of skin covered) their jewelry, even gaudy stuff, is allowed. I have been to many sales showers hosted by LDS, of all types, though the only one that was also billed as a bridal shower was for Pampered Chef, not jewelry.

lowspark

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »

I don't think you can invite coworkers to your shower but work can throw you a shower ie every employee who gets married gets a work shower by virtue of working there.

I've never been invited to a work bridal shower for someone to whose wedding I wasn't invited. In fact, where I work, they've never had a work bridal shower at all. Because no one here invites everyone from work to the wedding. It's just too big of a work environment.

One time, there was a sort of pre-wedding party for someone who was getting married. She was someone who had been working here for years and she knew everyone and everyone knew her. One of her close friends at work really wanted to give her a party with all the females. The bride graciously accepted the party but it was made explicitly clear that this was absolutely not a shower, that no gifts were to be given and that it would be fully hosted by the friends. We went to a wine bar and had drinks and munchies and it was really nice. But since she wasn't inviting most of us to the wedding (which was fine and perfectly understandable) it was the right thing to do -- party to celebrate her upcoming nuptials but no gifts.

Now, on the other hand, baby showers are quite common here. All the females get invited even though it's usually just the ones who really know or work with the mother-to-be who show up.

Lynn2000

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »

Right, this is my understanding. If your co-workers, completely of their own accord and with full knowledge that they won't be invited to the wedding, want to throw you a wedding shower anyway, it's not rude to accept. In that case the host would be one of the co-workers, not someone outside that group. It might even be less a separate party and more like cake and coffee in the break room in the middle of the day, with everyone chipping in for one gift.

I think it's rude for someone outside a group, to invite that group to give gifts, when they won't be invited to the wedding/reception later.
~Lynn2000

Amara

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »
I agree with SamiHami. This is just a sales party--dressed in a bridal gown. Ugh.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »

I've never been invited to a work bridal shower for someone to whose wedding I wasn't invited. In fact, where I work, they've never had a work bridal shower at all. Because no one here invites everyone from work to the wedding. It's just too big of a work environment.

One time, there was a sort of pre-wedding party for someone who was getting married. She was someone who had been working here for years and she knew everyone and everyone knew her. One of her close friends at work really wanted to give her a party with all the females. The bride graciously accepted the party but it was made explicitly clear that this was absolutely not a shower, that no gifts were to be given and that it would be fully hosted by the friends. We went to a wine bar and had drinks and munchies and it was really nice. But since she wasn't inviting most of us to the wedding (which was fine and perfectly understandable) it was the right thing to do -- party to celebrate her upcoming nuptials but no gifts.

Now, on the other hand, baby showers are quite common here. All the females get invited even though it's usually just the ones who really know or work with the mother-to-be who show up.

I've worked at places that have done work showers , others where everyone was invited to the wedding & shower and places were other peoples events were ignored.  I just don't think its rude for a bride to accept the cake , gift and/or lunch offered to every bride that works for the company.  (my weird luck in 20 years I never worked with a soon to be groom)