Wedding Bliss and Blues > Par-Tay!

Wishing well gift for bridal shower?

(1/3) > >>

LadyL:
I got a bridal shower invite yesterday. It included an insert with this poem:

Spices, detergents And gadgets galore, You have several dozen, But still could use more. If you could bring Just one of these, Our bride to be You sure would please. So wrap it in tissue paper But your name do not tell, Itís just a little something To wish her well.

There was another insert with registry information.

So...am I supposed to bring a gift off the registry (or something equivalent) AND a spice/detergent/gadget as an anonymous gift for the wishing well? Or am I supposed to bring one gift but they want it to be anonymous (and why are wishing well gifts anonymous anyhow)? I did not have a bridal shower, have not been to one in recent memory, and really don't understand the expectations for a wishing well gift vs. a shower gift. I haven't looked at the registry (maybe it's all small spices, detergents, and gadgets...?).

camlan:
I would try to call the host and ask what the "poem" means. Because my interpretation is that they want a used kitchen gadget/spice/detergent for the wishing well. You know, one of the many currently sitting in my cabinets.

Plus a brand, spanking new gift off her registry.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote ---So...am I supposed to bring a gift off the registry (or something equivalent) AND a spice/detergent/gadget as an anonymous gift for the wishing well?
--- End quote ---

Yes.

The wording you describes fits with the "wishing well" as I have experienced it (here in NYC, among my in-laws' circle--threw me for a loop the first time I ran into it). In fact, I am going to a shower this weekend where there is a wishing well.

So bring a bottle of dish soap or a gadget--something small. Usually $5 in expenditure, but perhaps less.

They don't actually say anything about you having these things already. There's no intention to have used items.

The "you have these things and still could use more" is a way so saying, "the stuff you find useful; you can never have too many rubber spatulas, so maybe get them another one."

Of course, if you have an unopened bottle of toilet-bowl cleaner, toss that in instead of making another purchase right at the moment. (Of course you'll have to replace your own, so it's not like it's completely free.)

shhh its me:
I was a little confused too but after reading twice I think the mean in addition to the register a very small kitchen gift. ie those $1-5 items people need so many of. I don't like the poem but I would not take issue with the host suggesting "Hey, lets make a fun basket of small needful things from everyone.  Everyone pitch in their favorite , small kitchen gadget , spice, etc."  I wouldn't take offense but I don't think its a great idea logistically. 

peaches:

--- Quote from: LadyL on March 26, 2014, 01:30:42 PM ---
So...am I supposed to bring a gift off the registry (or something equivalent) AND a spice/detergent/gadget as an anonymous gift for the wishing well?
--- End quote ---

Yes.

It's similar to showers where you're asked to bring a favorite recipe written on a recipe card. You're also expected to bring a gift.

In general, I think it's best to let people choose their own gifts, from a registry or their own imaginations, and leave it at that.

These other ideas can be fun. But it's also possible for them to be an aggravation to guests or too much additional expense, if the hosts go overboard in their requests.

I wouldn't mind a jar of a favorite spice or a spatula, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version