Author Topic: Wishing well gift for bridal shower?  (Read 2787 times)

LadyL

Wishing well gift for bridal shower?
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
I got a bridal shower invite yesterday. It included an insert with this poem:

Spices, detergents And gadgets galore, You have several dozen, But still could use more. If you could bring Just one of these, Our bride to be You sure would please. So wrap it in tissue paper But your name do not tell, It’s just a little something To wish her well.

There was another insert with registry information.

So...am I supposed to bring a gift off the registry (or something equivalent) AND a spice/detergent/gadget as an anonymous gift for the wishing well? Or am I supposed to bring one gift but they want it to be anonymous (and why are wishing well gifts anonymous anyhow)? I did not have a bridal shower, have not been to one in recent memory, and really don't understand the expectations for a wishing well gift vs. a shower gift. I haven't looked at the registry (maybe it's all small spices, detergents, and gadgets...?).

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Wishing well gift for bridal shower?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
I would try to call the host and ask what the "poem" means. Because my interpretation is that they want a used kitchen gadget/spice/detergent for the wishing well. You know, one of the many currently sitting in my cabinets.

Plus a brand, spanking new gift off her registry.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
So...am I supposed to bring a gift off the registry (or something equivalent) AND a spice/detergent/gadget as an anonymous gift for the wishing well?

Yes.

The wording you describes fits with the "wishing well" as I have experienced it (here in NYC, among my in-laws' circle--threw me for a loop the first time I ran into it). In fact, I am going to a shower this weekend where there is a wishing well.

So bring a bottle of dish soap or a gadget--something small. Usually $5 in expenditure, but perhaps less.

They don't actually say anything about you having these things already. There's no intention to have used items.

The "you have these things and still could use more" is a way so saying, "the stuff you find useful; you can never have too many rubber spatulas, so maybe get them another one."

Of course, if you have an unopened bottle of toilet-bowl cleaner, toss that in instead of making another purchase right at the moment. (Of course you'll have to replace your own, so it's not like it's completely free.)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
I was a little confused too but after reading twice I think the mean in addition to the register a very small kitchen gift. ie those $1-5 items people need so many of. I don't like the poem but I would not take issue with the host suggesting "Hey, lets make a fun basket of small needful things from everyone.  Everyone pitch in their favorite , small kitchen gadget , spice, etc."  I wouldn't take offense but I don't think its a great idea logistically. 

peaches

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »

So...am I supposed to bring a gift off the registry (or something equivalent) AND a spice/detergent/gadget as an anonymous gift for the wishing well?

Yes.

It's similar to showers where you're asked to bring a favorite recipe written on a recipe card. You're also expected to bring a gift.

In general, I think it's best to let people choose their own gifts, from a registry or their own imaginations, and leave it at that.

These other ideas can be fun. But it's also possible for them to be an aggravation to guests or too much additional expense, if the hosts go overboard in their requests.

I wouldn't mind a jar of a favorite spice or a spatula, though.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
I agree it seems you're being asked to buy a small kitchen item in addition to whatever other gift you bring (regardless of whether you choose it from her registry or not).

Although I also agree it's not the best idea to tell guests what to bring/give, it's also meant as a fun way to surprise the bride.  My sister used to give a new bride or mom a wash basket filled with small inexpensive items which on the whole proved to be quite an investment and she always included the things you would find you needed at the last minute when all the stores were closed.

I would be tempted to find the oddest, most unusual but still useful kitchen gadget I could find - a mini spatula for getting the last bit of mustard out of the jar, a small can of an odd ingredient, a set of those tiny little bowls chefs on TV use to measure out teaspoons of ingredients, a potholder or dish towel with a cute picture, and try to have a little fun myself as well.  And I'd take this "extra" into account when selecting my other gift.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »

Although I also agree it's not the best idea to tell guests what to bring/give,

I think that suggesting a category of gift is completely kosher. The hostess is saying, in advance of the party, "this is the game we're playing."

i also think the "clock shower," where people are assigned a time of day and asked to give a gift that fits that time of day is fine. The field is wide open--heck, you can give someone a wheelbarrow for 10am, and say, "aren't you going to be doing some chores then?"

auntmeegs

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
These poems are so stupid they me want to vomit.  Who sits there and thinks these *bleeping* things up?  Where do people find them?
From my experience, you are supposed to bring whatever gift you were going to give, plus a small items, like a spatchula or dish towel, for the wishing well. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
Where I am, the wishing well is most often consumables. Baking soda, cleaning solutions, laundry soap, etc.

And where I am, they just write "wishing well" on the invite and leave off the goopy poem. That's why I was so confused the first time I saw it. I had to ask my MIL.

So I hate those poems, but at least they sort of explain it.

Though, what is wrong with prose?!?!?!?

Why can't people write: "Please also bring a small housekeeping gift: a kitchen gadget, cleaning supplies, pantry staples, etc., to place in her Wishing Well."

Prose is beautiful!

auntmeegs

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
Where I am, the wishing well is most often consumables. Baking soda, cleaning solutions, laundry soap, etc.

And where I am, they just write "wishing well" on the invite and leave off the goopy poem. That's why I was so confused the first time I saw it. I had to ask my MIL.

So I hate those poems, but at least they sort of explain it.

Though, what is wrong with prose?!?!?!?

Why can't people write: "Please also bring a small housekeeping gift: a kitchen gadget, cleaning supplies, pantry staples, etc., to place in her Wishing Well."

Prose is beautiful!

Right??!!!  The bad poem just makes it so...icky. 

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »
These poems are so stupid they me want to vomit.  Who sits there and thinks these *bleeping* things up?  Where do people find them?

I thought that we had determined in another thread that was Vogon poetry.

With it becoming more commonplace, I think it's high time that I checked the intergalactic planning office to make sure that we're not on the list for demolition, and I haven't missed any bids.

LtPowers

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »
I have no problem with poems... as long as the would-be poet understands the basics of meter.

Powers  &8^]

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
Time for a trip to the Dollar Store.

Whatever you get, don't forget to wrap it in tissue paper!
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

purple

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »

I thought that we had determined in another thread that was Vogon poetry.

With it becoming more commonplace, I think it's high time that I checked the intergalactic planning office to make sure that we're not on the list for demolition, and I haven't missed any bids.

Don't forget to look in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard".

Resistance is useless!!!!!